MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   HELP! Need technical Expertise! (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/443346-help-need-technical-expertise.html)

jakecat22 05-09-2008 09:01 PM

HELP! Need technical Expertise!

Ok, sorry if this is long winded, but I feel the need to explain in detail so someone can help the best they can.

Installed my dual exhaust, after the cats, did not mess with the cats or o2 sensors. About 1,000 miles after installation, my check engine light came on. I took it to the dealership, the error code was P0153, bank 1, sensor 1. The dealership replaced the o2 sensor and all was well. Till 300 miles later when my check engine light came on again. Had the codes read and got the same P0153 code, PLUS P0300 Engine(multiple cylinder) misfire. That scared the crap out of me. Took it to the dealership, they said the EGR Valve was stuck open, throwing the code. They ordered the parts and the next day I dropped it off, they replaced the EGR valve and the o2 sensor. They told me they ran a diagnostic and that fixed the problem.

Fast forward to TODAY, one day later, and less the 100 miles later, and my check engine light comes on AGAIN! Stopped by autozone on my way to work, had the code read, you guessed it, P0153.

At this point I am really frustrated, have lost all faith in the dealership, and ready to drive the car into a tree so the insurance can pay for it and I get another one. Ok, maybe that is to extreme.

Does anyone have ANY clue as to what the problem is? How to fix it? What my next step should be? Anything would help.

hammeron 05-09-2008 09:32 PM

RE: HELP! Need technical Expertise!

i'm not sure what is happening
with your vehicle, but here is the
DTC for reference.

the 133 and 153 are essentially the same

[IMG]local://upfiles/37808/8EBEE51D125A475A98AADAC235E61F07.jpg[/IMG]

GrayPony 05-10-2008 05:56 AM

H pipe or X pipe? Did you check for exhaust leaks near the Cats? Bad O2 sensor?

1367mustang 05-10-2008 06:14 AM

Could a change in back pressure cause a false exhaust leak error?

jakecat22 05-10-2008 06:48 AM

H pipe or X pipe? Did you check for exhaust leaks near the Cats? Bad O2 sensor?
X-pipe, no exhaust leaks, checked that. The O2 sonsors keep going bad, but can't find the cause.

Could a change in back pressure cause a false exhaust leak error?
I don't know, maybe someone here can answer that, but I have not seen any members here with duals that have this problem

marcuskeeler 05-10-2008 08:24 AM

Well, it does seem unlikely as it's not exhaust related, but it could be a coincidence. The DTC does mention MAF sensor so get them to clean it or have a goyourself.
Good luck

A_J 05-10-2008 09:47 AM

Just spitballing here.. In my personal experience I've seen O2's go bad for a couple of reasons - repeated use of crap gas, or the A/F ratio being off.. you make no mention of any other mods other than exhaust - so is that all you have? No tune, etc? On the V6's I'm not sure if just exhaust requires a retune, but I would guess that it may. And you're sure you've got no exhaust leaks on the bank that the O2 keeps going bad on? (The O2may see it as an overly lean due to the extra air.)Also - the EGR being stuck open would act like a lean condition on cold start.. either way, it sounds like you're issues started with the exhaust install, so go back and check all your work.

jakecat22 05-10-2008 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: A_J

Just spitballing here.. In my personal experience I've seen O2's go bad for a couple of reasons - repeated use of crap gas, or the A/F ratio being off.. you make no mention of any other mods other than exhaust - so is that all you have? No tune, etc? On the V6's I'm not sure if just exhaust requires a retune, but I would guess that it may. And you're sure you've got no exhaust leaks on the bank that the O2 keeps going bad on? (The O2may see it as an overly lean due to the extra air.)Also - the EGR being stuck open would act like a lean condition on cold start.. either way, it sounds like you're issues started with the exhaust install, so go back and check all your work.
No other mods besides the exhaust. It's not the gas, I fill up at the same station everytime, never has a problem. I had the exhaust checked, once by me, and a second by a shop, no leaks were found. I don't think the exhaust requires a tune, there are plenty of members here that have this exhaust with no tune, and have no problems. The car is losing power at lower RPM's, like it is bogging down, but once the RPM's get above 2500, it runs fine.

tac0 05-10-2008 06:23 PM

You could get a CAI and tune and have the rear O2 sensors turned off.

jakecat22 05-10-2008 06:37 PM

ORIGINAL: tac0

You could get a CAI and tune and have the rear O2 sensors turned off.
It's not the rear O2 sensors giving the problem, it's sensor on the drivers side, before the cats, which is why, well my hunch is, that my exhaust is NOT causing the problem. But, I am not an expert, which is why I turned here, cause there seem to be a few of those around here:D