Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boomtubes to Mid Mufflers

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 01:30 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

Default Boomtubes to Mid Mufflers

I'm planning to switch from boomtubes to the Pypes mid mufflers. The boomtubes don't go very well with my o/r prochamber. To those who have mid mufflers, how easy was the install and how long did it take you? What kind of fitment issues were there if any. Where's the cheapest place to get the mid mufflers? Thanks!
Old 05-10-2008, 03:54 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Boomtubes to Mid Mufflers

just curious but what was wrong with the boomtubes? The mid muffler is similar to boomtubes i would think, you do get the mid mufflers but otherwise the actually actual back is just like loudmouths?
Old 05-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I think he was hearing trumpeting in upper RPM ranges.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:14 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

just curious but what was wrong with the boomtubes? The mid muffler is similar to boomtubes i would think, you do get the mid mufflers but otherwise the actually actual back is just like loudmouths?
Like Riptide said,the boomtubestrumpet at WOT with the o/r prochamber. The sound is like "Braaaaaaap". I guess because the exhaust is so free flowing now that the boomtubes "spider webs" (louvered core) - that were designed to clean up the sound and differentiate them from the loudmouths -are useless at WOTand they soundpretty much likeloudmouths. [:'(]Because the mid mufflers have the mufflers in the middle and not at the rear,they don't have that trumpeting problem like muffler deletes do.
Old 05-10-2008, 05:34 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

correct, cant wait to hear them!
Old 05-10-2008, 05:45 PM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

have you thought of just adding resonators? it would be cheaper. i just know a guy who heard my setup with resonators/off road h and liked it better than his setup with midmufflers/off road h.check my sig if you haven't hear my clip
Old 05-10-2008, 07:41 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

i would recommend the boomtubes because they sound better than mids ,IMO
Old 05-10-2008, 09:03 PM
Mustang3GT07
6th Gear Member

Mid-Muffler with a o/r pipe of any kinda sound Bada**. Post a sound clip when your done!
Old 05-10-2008, 09:10 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harraid5711

have you thought of just adding resonators? it would be cheaper. i just know a guy who heard my setup with resonators/off road h and liked it better than his setup with midmufflers/off road h.check my sig if you haven't hear my clip
How muchdid it cost to get the resonators and have it welded in? Do the resonators mount after the H-pipe? What's the length of the resonators that you installed and who makes them?

By the way, since you have an off road pipe, did you notice trumpeting with the boomtubes at WOT too?
Old 05-10-2008, 09:32 PM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

Pypes Mid Muffler with an O/R H was the best sounding S197 I've honestly ever heard.- I should know, I had it. It is however, very loud- which is why I dont have it anymore. I am searching for a lower sound than that, and plan on doingLT's with a high flow catted H.

A Prochamber should mellow it a bit when compared to the O/R H I hadhopefully, and sound awesome. If you dont mind the car being loud (but unbelievably mean, not raspy) I say go for it.

I wouldnt change the mid muffs for ANYTHING that I've heard on an S197, andIve heardjust about everything.

Post videos if you do it.

I recommend installing on a lift if you have access, or have a shop install it for you, as it is a PIA to install- but well worth it man

Quick Reply: Boomtubes to Mid Mufflers