Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Royal purple synchromax in manual transmission...are you running it?...

Old 05-11-2008, 05:30 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default Royal purple synchromax in manual transmission...are you running it?...

I had read somewhere how the temperature of the transmission is greatly reduced when running the royal purple synchromax. I had no idea the difference was night and day though.
Before changing the transmission fluid my hurst stick would get really hot. Not so hot that you couldn't hold it for more than a few seconds, but hot enough that holding on to it was uncomfortable.

Now it doesn't get hot at all and I mean nothing. I'm amazed at how cooler it is, but I wonder if the trans was designed to operate at a certain temperature. Generally speaking cooler temps mean longer life. It must be reducing friction of moving parts in order to reduce the temp.

A show of hands who has switched to royal purple synchromax.

Old 05-12-2008, 07:57 AM
ZZLEGEND
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Royal purple synchromax in manual transmission...are you running it?...

wow,,,,not to many replys. i would like to know this info. myself. good luck with it moosestang.
Old 05-12-2008, 08:13 AM
RedRider0151
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Royal purple synchromax in manual transmission...are you running it?...

How hard was it to switch out??? I know the tranny doesnt just have a drain plug like my oil pan. I would definitely switch it out if its something simple to do. (plus it would bring a ton of peace of mind to get the stock fluid out of there)
Old 05-12-2008, 08:55 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Damn there has to be more people that have done this!

Moose i agree that it keeps the tranny cooler. Now i dont know if this is a harmful thing at all though. My hurst got a little warm before like you said but does seem to be cooler with the new fluid.

I did notice decreased sound and smoother shifting though so that is a huge plus IMO.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:47 AM
oh6vee6
2nd Gear Member

I just swapped mine out for Amsoil. It's hard to tell if it's cooler or not because our cars have remote shifters, so the tranny temp won't really change the temp of the shifter in your hand too much. It does feel a bitsmoother and def a bit quieter.

Old 05-12-2008, 10:11 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

Yep, RP Synchromax made a big difference in my trans. I didn't notice it that much at first but over the next several days, shifting got smoother and smoother over time. The heat that used to radiate up from my parking brake handle area is MUCH reduced as well.

I've heard a few folks opinions about it not being compatible with some of the internal parts in the trans. RP says its ok and it seems to work well. Enough for me...
Old 05-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RedRider0151

How hard was it to switch out??? I know the tranny doesnt just have a drain plug like my oil pan. I would definitely switch it out if its something simple to do. (plus it would bring a ton of peace of mind to get the stock fluid out of there)
It's not difficult at all on the TR3650. You will need a pump though to get the fluid back up into the trans. They are cheap at Autozone or where ever. My pump only fit a gallon jug so I had to transfer the RP fluid into an old antifreeze container and attach the pump to it.

You have a drain plug on the bottom of the trans and a fill on the passenger side near the top. I removed the upper fill plug and then removed the bottom. Something to remember though is that ATF is VERY thin fluid. I placed my car on jackstands about 2 feet off the groud and used an oil reservoir contaner that was about 2' round. When I removed that bottom plug the ATF came out like WATER! Hit my reservoir, splashed all over me, my garage floor and everything else in range. [:@]. I'd remove that bottom plug s-l-o-w-l-y.
Old 05-12-2008, 10:41 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Moose had a great writeup without using a pump....its stickied
Old 05-12-2008, 11:12 AM
RedRider0151
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the advice.....I can already hear my wife bitching about tranny fluid all over the place!! LOL
Old 05-12-2008, 11:22 AM
torch red
4th Gear Member

I have it..no regreats..it certainly doesnt hurt..And its easy to do as others have explained..