Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front end Thunk?!?!?!?!? Search used

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2008, 10:28 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

Default Front end Thunk?!?!?!?!? Search used

I am getting some sort of THUNK sound from the front Drivers side. Every time I go over a bump I get a very LOUD thunk. Sounds like something is DEFINATELY loose, however there has been no ill effects onperformance. If it didnt make the sound, I wouldnt think anything was wrong.

I know that people have issues with their strut mounts popping when they lower their stang, but I replaced mine with the Steeda Strut Mounts.

My suspension setup is as follows:
Steeda Sport Springs
Tokico Dspecs
Steeda Adjustable Panhard Bar
HD Panhard Brace

Has anyone encountered a problem like this? Its only the drivers side that makes this noise. What could it be????? I did not install the parts myself, could it be that somethingcame loose? It sounds like it could be the strut mounts.

I amready to set the car on fire. [:@]
Old 05-12-2008, 11:03 AM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Front end Thunk?!?!?!?!? Search used

Vinny, I told you when I had that problem that I found out I snapped a locking tab on a bolt that connected the strut to the spindle so there was enough play to make the thunk. jack the car up and pull the wheels see if there is any play or movement there. If there is check the bolts and tighten them.
Old 05-12-2008, 11:13 AM
torch red
4th Gear Member

Therer was a TSB on the mounts as u probably know,,,I have alot of suspension work myself..( SIG) And was able to convince the dealer to replace my mounts and my clunking went away..My mounts are stock...told him my mounts had nothing to do with my Mods,,and he agreed...I would start there..I have heard of same prob with Steeda mounts..but who know..

Good luck..keep us posted but it sounds like the Strut mount prob..
Old 05-12-2008, 11:25 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PiggySmallz

Vinny, I told you when I had that problem that I found out I snapped a locking tab on a bolt that connected the strut to the spindle so there was enough play to make the thunk. jack the car up and pull the wheels see if there is any play or movement there. If there is check the bolts and tighten them.
Which bolts am I checking? It sounds like the car is going to fall apart. How did you snap the locking tab? I've had the stuff installed for a month, and now all of a sudden, its loose, or I broke something?
Old 05-12-2008, 12:10 PM
MTAS
2nd Gear Member

Make sure the vertical links between the sway bar and strut are tight. If they're loose it will sound like the car's gonna break in half at the firewall[8D]
Old 05-12-2008, 12:36 PM
PiggySmallz
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VerginaStang

Which bolts am I checking? It sounds like the car is going to fall apart. How did you snap the locking tab? I've had the stuff installed for a month, and now all of a sudden, its loose, or I broke something?
you check the bolts that connect the spindle to the strut. Look at the strut there are two bolts holding it to the rotor. I hit one of those damn potholes on the van wyck one morning. I also snapped another exhaust clamp when we left cunningham park saturday going over those POS dips and hills getting onto whatever highway that is. Sorry for the tangent, def check those two bolts and make sure they are secure try to move the rotor around when the wheel is off to see if there is anything moving.
Old 05-12-2008, 12:47 PM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

My upper strut mount nuts were lose on both of my struts and I tightened them down and the noise I was getting went away, but as others have said the sway bar links can cause a clunkingnoise as well if either of those nuts are loose...
Old 05-12-2008, 01:56 PM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

What do you guys recommend I tighten the nuts/bolts/screws down with??? I do not have access to a torque wrench.... just muscle. lol

I have to get this taken care of ASAP.
Old 05-12-2008, 05:42 PM
coopergs

I had the same issue with my stock suspension. After installing dspecs with roush springs, strut and a arm brace I no longer have the thunking noise. The only time I have replicated the sound is when my front sway bar is disconnected. It is a annoying problem. I know this isnt much help, but good luck.