Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went to the track!! Now I'm going Automatic!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Went to the track!!

Forensicsteve; Exactly! We're putting in a 3 speed racing transmission with a Neal Chance converter and transbrake. The car will be going out to have a compound boost system with twin 60mm turbo's feeding the Eaton put on after the World Ford Challenge. Goes up to Eastexas race cars to have the cage put in afterwards.

MYGT500: You are correct the Automatic is much more consistant. It also keeps the car in boost during the shiftnormally a whole second can be taken off the time with an Automatic over a manual!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:38 AM
Black05StangGT
3rd Gear Member

Even with nearly stock cars the automatics consistently put down better times than manuals...its just a fact of life...
Old 05-13-2008, 07:40 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Ruffnuts

Dont go with a girl-o-matic.. makes driving on the street dead boring.
Wow, with intellectual arguments like "girl-o-matic" maybe I should change my mind!

Hmmm, does this look like a girl-o-matic to you?

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=217d4364.flv

He's running the same "girl-o-matic" I am. I should probably let John Urist (three time NMRA champion and owner of hellion turbo's), Danny Bagginga, Don Burton, Richard Lelsz and 1/2 acre now that their 7 second cars are running on "girl-o-matics also.

As far as the street goes.....I'll give you2 lengths and the move and still smoke you like your in reverse!
Old 05-13-2008, 07:43 AM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black05StangGT

Even with nearly stock cars the automatics consistently put down better times than manuals...its just a fact of life...
You are correct! It's just faster and more consistent. On average a conversion from manual to automatic will cut as much as a full second off your time.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:47 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

PLstang.......

No worries......that car of yours looks nothing girly-like and performance-wise? Pfft!!!
You've created a BEAST!!!! I think you could easily give anyone a damn good run for their money!!

So you'll have the new automatic installed in time for this weekend?? This should be very interesting for you track times!!! [&:]

Please keep us posted on the progress of that racecar of yours........man, I can't imagine how much fun it is to drive it!!

saddle ~
Old 05-13-2008, 09:37 AM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

So you are doing compound boost?

After reading the article in this months MM&FF I have decided it is the answer to the question no one has asked. Theirs was down 150 something rwhp from running Turbo's alone.

I think just running the turbo set up would be better, but to each his own.

If you are going to do it, why not try it running a compund twin turbo into a 3.4L whipple. At least the blower wont be as big of an inlet restriction.

Also I thougt it was weird the way compound boost..... well compounds. 11psi from the blower and 7psi from the turbo's made 23psi. I am an engineer, I could never put something so illogical on my car .

Good luck with the auto, for a track car you will be much happier.
Old 05-13-2008, 10:13 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PLstang

ORIGINAL: Ruffnuts

Dont go with a girl-o-matic.. makes driving on the street dead boring.
Wow, with intellectual arguments like "girl-o-matic" maybe I should change my mind!

Hmmm, does this look like a girl-o-matic to you?

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/b...t=217d4364.flv

He's running the same "girl-o-matic" I am. I should probably let John Urist (three time NMRA champion and owner of hellion turbo's), Danny Bagginga, Don Burton, Richard Lelsz and 1/2 acre now that their 7 second cars are running on "girl-o-matics also.

As far as the street goes.....I'll give you2 lengths and the move and still smoke you like your in reverse!
You cant ask much from someone who makes that type of comments anyway ...

Gl with your project PLstang !!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:06 AM
StowesStang
4th Gear Member

Right on Eric!!!!

I cant wait to see your numbers with the automatic!!!!!! I love my manual but damm, sometimes I wish I had gone with the automatic. I think Id be doing much better at the track too!!! lol

Keep us posted for sure!!!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 12:31 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

MustangGT0405

Very good question!! Yes I have read the same articles. While a straight Turbo system may make more power that's not the only thing that matters at the track. I could go with a big single 94mm turbo and a 400 cube engine (that's what my race car will have) but this is supposed to be streetable. I really don't want to gut my factory wiring on the car to put in the Big Stuff and all the MSD controlers necessary to make a car like that affective on the track. It's not only about power, but useable power and when that power comes in. The compound boost system appears attractive to me for some of it's benefits on both the small end of the track and the big end. It also lesssons the chance of being "burned down" on the line by a Nitrous car.

I'll definetly let you guys know how the project progresses. I have complete confidence in the people building the settup ( I can't say who at the moment). We'll see if the theory works in practice.

Thanks!!
Old 05-13-2008, 12:45 PM
MustangGT0405
5th Gear Member

To each his own. It is a pretty cool set up, just after seeing the numbers I was a little less impressed. It will certainly make good power and the added cubes from the 5.4 wont hurt either.

Just after reading all this stuff about the 3.4L whipple, I am pretty impressed. Maybe you should one up ChevyKiller and put the 3.9L whipple on yours.

Quick Reply: Went to the track!! Now I'm going Automatic!!