Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone running this "Big Daddy" no tune intake..26 HP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 10:14 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Anyone running this "Big Daddy" no tune intake..26 HP!

youtube is filled with LIES
Old 05-14-2008, 11:18 PM
MustangFan45
2nd Gear Member

I am partial to the AEM. But, I liked the Roush and SLP intake also. But, what is the best. HONESTLY!

[IMG]local://upfiles/90468/BE0848B7F10248D4B14CABAB682FC9CF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-14-2008, 11:24 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

C&L and JLT are the best ..
Old 05-15-2008, 01:00 AM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

JLT, imo
Old 05-15-2008, 06:49 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 1morepart

sounds crazy.....imo, i would go with a cai and tune

look at this big daddy on gt500
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=oVyq3S...eature=related
Wow! There dyno is really generous on the hp numbers. Maybe it's being generous on the gains as well.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:43 AM
Starfire
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: StickShifty

no way, BS. when you install a C&L/tune or a JLT/tune (best of the best intakes) most of the power is from the tune.
If that's true then should I just keep the stock airbox since I have the SCT from Bama with tunes for the stock airbox. I was going to get the bullitt intake but if it's not going to make a huge difference then maybe the money is better spent elsewhere
Old 05-15-2008, 09:17 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

yes i certainly wouldnt run this on a tune that was made for the stock airbox! Many details but in short you could really damage your car in this situation i think.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:38 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

sorry, no believe that though. Marketing at its best maybe but i wouldnt put that on my car
+1

I would say, just get a CAI/tune combo, from a popular company: JLT, C&L, Steeda, etc, and a comparable tune. I look at it this way, keep it conventional, keep the stock MAF, and go with a tune/ CAI, and if need be, you can just flash back to stock and put your stock airtube/ airbox in in no time! With the tune, its a good foundation to build on, should you do other mods, and a handheld tuner is easier to work with. ( For example, changing out gears, CMCV deletes, LT headers, etc) And if you have an auto, like I do, the tune works wonders with the trans, its well worth it! I would not go any other way! Tried and true method.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:14 PM
GT Bob
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Legion5

Again this CAI modfies the MAF opening so it reads the wrong air fuel ratio. This means you can never use this CAI with a tune so you're stuck on the mods you can do. Also for it's price, you can get a K&N drop in filter and a tuner, and have the exact same amount of HP, but also have a free tuner.
First off, whoever dais that Big Daddy Wayne Guthridge is god in mustang circles understated a fact. The man knows his stuff. I know locally, he's won every event there is to win, and then some to the point that many events have banned him. He knows how to make power..

Now, to those nay-sayers who don't understand how this intake works,I suggest you look into the MAF's that they use on the 5.0's before you go calling this a warmed over K&N that will pop your motor. The design concept Wayne uses is exactly the same as they use on them. Because there is no MAF transfer function in the 5.0's software (which is the table that the computer uses to look up how much air is flowing at what voltage) , it instead relies on a proportional size between the injectors, MAF size and Sensor sampling tube to figure out airflow. My changing the size of one, you have to reclibrate the others (or at least the size of the sampling tube) to keep your readings correct.

There are dozens and dozens of cars that handle things this way. Another of the more popular ones that does it are the Mk III Supra guys with the 7M-GTE's. A popular upgrade is to a Lexus AFM (which is anaologous to our MAF's) and a set of 440cc/min (or 44 lb) injectors. By oversizing the AFM by 25% and the Injectors by 25%, the AFR's will remain the same.

When it says "Non-tuneable" All it means is that there is no update to the MAF transfer needed. You can still tune your little heart out, so long as you leave the MAF transfer alone. The only thing that may add a small level of difficulty is anything that would require an injector swap. Things may get a little hairy there, but I still think any tuner worth his laptop would be able to get it figured out with out much trouble.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:41 PM
mhconley
2nd Gear Member

This CAI is simply a C&L Racer CAI with anew MAF. That's how he gets away without a tune. He replaces the MAF.

Check out this pictures from this article: http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ake/index.html

I wonder if he sells just the MAF for those that already have the C&L Racer CAI?

Martin

Quick Reply: Anyone running this "Big Daddy" no tune intake..26 HP!