Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do NOT buy Cheap H.I.D's

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 09:55 PM
jahudso2
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Do NOT buy Cheap H.I.D's

Well i think my bulbs were mounted upside down from the factory or something. My low beams were the right height, but when I flipped on my high beams, it pointed so low, it would bounce off my front bumper. The bulbs were upside down, but with the grooving there is only one way to install them.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:06 AM
starman
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jay0heavenly

Okay...so long story short, I bought a $115 set of H.I.D's, I figured I couldn't go wrong with such a price right??? WRONG!

After a month or so, I started to notice moisture in the headlights. I used the OEM rings on the lights, so I knew the seal was the same as factory, so I couldn't understand why I couldn't get rid of the moisture.

Sooooo I took it to the stealership [&:]... I had to get a factory TSB, plus the rattle in my separator plate fixed anyway, so now was as good a time as any. Turns out the heat from those CHEAP HID's was melting the plastic in the on the inside of the headlight and it lost the seal!

All in all, the stealership charged me ZERO bucks and I learned a free lesson that I wanted to pass on to my peeps on MF.

[8D]
More Chinese Sh*t!
Old 05-16-2008, 10:08 AM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: boochy

I wouldn't call them the Stealership if they helped you out for free.
Old habits die hard...lol [8D]
Old 05-16-2008, 11:31 AM
5SPD07GT
Official Site Sponsor

i love my stangmods hids, you wont be disappointed
Old 05-16-2008, 11:47 AM
schapman
4th Gear Member

can you please explain how it was running hotter that any other HID system? You did get a 35w kit didnt you?
if you looked up Ohm's law you would know any 35w system is going to dissipate the same amount of heat.
From the example below all 35W HID systems produce close to the sameheat.

watts/volts =amp
Old 05-16-2008, 11:56 AM
schapman
4th Gear Member

The kevin (10k, 8K, 6k, etc) doesnt have anything to do with heat output. actual the higher the kelvin number thelight output will be less. heat will be the same since all (D1 and D2)hid systemrun on 85v

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

.... what the hell kit did you use!?.. some are hotter than others.. if you went with like a 10,000k set (really blue).. then thats probably too hot.. 8,000k is pushing it IMO... but i have heard of plenty of people using the $80 kits from ebay for over a year now with ZERO problems.. i could be wrong about the heat on the different bulbs.. but i think it goes something like that.. but i wouldnt even think about going over 8,000k.. besides.. they look too blue IMO..

but thanks for the info anyways.. car looks sick as hell by the way
Old 05-16-2008, 01:19 PM
jay0heavenly
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: schapman

can you please explain how it was running hotter that any other HID system? You did get a 35w kit didnt you?
if you looked up Ohm's law you would know any 35w system is going to dissipate the same amount of heat.
From the example below all 35W HID systems produce close to the sameheat.

watts/volts =amp
yep...35w...and I was a Political Science major in undergrad so I officially have no idea about Ohm's law...lol.

All I can tell you is that the seal on the inside of my headlight was melted dppx 2 months after the HID's. There's only one suspect for this crime.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:53 PM
jlczl
1st Gear Member

What's the difference between hid's and just just some plain white bulbs from an auto parts store? A buddy of mine gave me some white bulbs with a slight blue hue and they're very bright. Are the hid's even brighter? If so, that's way too bright. I already get alot of people turning their brights on me becase they think I have my brights on when i really don't.
Old 05-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Whiteflash454
3rd Gear Member

yea i got my hids i have 2 kits as well.....headlights and fogs bought them for 42 dollars each...and they work great..... 1 yrr still going strong...
Old 05-16-2008, 02:05 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: jay0heavenly

Okay...so long story short, I bought a $115 set of H.I.D's, I figured I couldn't go wrong with such a price right??? WRONG!

After a month or so, I started to notice moisture in the headlights. I used the OEM rings on the lights, so I knew the seal was the same as factory, so I couldn't understand why I couldn't get rid of the moisture.

Sooooo I took it to the stealership [&:]... I had to get a factory TSB, plus the rattle in my separator plate fixed anyway, so now was as good a time as any. Turns out the heat from those CHEAP HID's was melting the plastic in the on the inside of the headlight and it lost the seal!

All in all, the stealership charged me ZERO bucks and I learned a free lesson that I wanted to pass on to my peeps on MF.

[8D]
Can you PM me or post a link to the separator plate TSB? Thanks!

Quick Reply: Do NOT buy Cheap H.I.D's