Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Question About switching to synthetic!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:27 AM
lucki96gt
3rd Gear Member

Default Quick Question About switching to synthetic!!

OK my car has about 44k miles and this is my first time doing my own oil change. I have always took my car to the dealer for an oil change becaus eof my warranty. I know its overkill but I just personally feel more comfortable with them having all my schedules maintanace on fill in case something goes wrong with my car/engine. Anyway I went to walmart with my dad to get oil with intentions on switching to synthetic and he said I should switch to synthetic blend first then switch to full synthetic. I am no oil genus so I just said ok and got the motorcraft 5w-20 synthetic blend. with motorcraft filter. And in 3-5k more mile I want to switch to a full synthetic. Is that true should I have switched to a synthetic blend first? And next oil change will I be OK swithing to a full synthetic? Also, and brands you guys think I sould use and which weight, do I stay with 5w-20?
Thanks!!
Old 05-16-2008, 07:33 AM
Margarita Girl
Is the tide gonna reach my chair?

Default RE: Quick Question About switching to synthetic!!

I went straight to full synthetic 5w20 after 5,000 miles.

Keep in mind you need to buy 6 quarts with a filter change.
Check the stick after adding 5 1/2 quarts.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:29 AM
funtimesalways
3rd Gear Member

i thought they came from factory with syn blend or full syn, maybe not?
Old 05-16-2008, 08:46 AM
quik06

ORIGINAL: funtimesalways

i thought they came from factory with syn blend or full syn, maybe not?
I believe you are correct. I would stay with 5w-20 as that's what is recommended in the owner's manual.
Old 05-16-2008, 08:53 AM
cbrstng08
2nd Gear Member

You've been on synthetic blend for 44k miles, that's what comes from the factory and what the dealership uses. In fact they use the motorcraft which is what you bought. Go ahead and switch to full synthetic, shouldn't hurt a thing. From what i've heard on these forums Redline is the best you can get.
Old 05-16-2008, 09:00 AM
2L8IWIN
2nd Gear Member

I went to Mobile 1 full synthetic when the car had 2000 miles on it. Love it!
Old 05-16-2008, 09:59 AM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I, too, thoughtall Stang's came with synthetic blend. I know my '07 did. The issue with going from dino to straight synthetic after some miles are racked-up (like your 44K) is the unwanted removal of any varnish/crud thatcould beacting as a seal or fit tolerance. The synthetic would dissolve some of that away andCOULD cause oil consumption. However, if you've had the blend from day one thenI think you'd have no problem switching to synthetic, especially if you were doing your oil changes at the recommended intervals. I actually went from dino to synthetic in a vehicle with 100,000 miles on it when I made the change and never had a problem.

My only gripe with people going to full synthetic is that they waste their money by changing it too frequently. As long as you perform oil changes at the correct frequency for the given oil (dino, blend or full syn), any of those oils will give you the SAME service life from your engine.
Old 05-16-2008, 12:10 PM
xtoolmaker
1st Gear Member

Castrol Full Synthetic for me and my 2008 Gt/CS. Got to support John Force and family/
Old 05-16-2008, 12:46 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: xtoolmaker

Castrol Full Synthetic for me and my 2008 Gt/CS. Got to support John Force and family/
Just FYI and not being a butt about it, Castrol Syntec is NOT a synthetic. Google 'Mobil Castrol Arbitration' and 'hydrocracking' for info and how it changed the oil market.

Amsoil, Redline, Mobile1(not all of Mobile product line is Synthetic) are great choices. An oil thread happens on here alot and causes alot of heated debates. Search is your friend, even if it doesnt work as well as it should.
Old 05-16-2008, 02:18 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

The cars come with semi synthetic from the factory, it's the Motorcraft Synthetic Blend. Yes you'll be okay. I personally run Royal Purple 5w20 and I've had great experience with it. I won't run Amsoil because of the people who make it, they are scum, speaking from a personal experience. Royal Purple isn't widely available so if you want something more readily available I'd go with the Castro Syntec 5w20, that's another good oil.

Quick Reply: Quick Question About switching to synthetic!!