Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Whipple, Saleen, or Kenne Bell

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 12:45 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

Default Whipple, Saleen, or Kenne Bell

I am shopping for a positive displacement S/C. Things i am taking into consideration are completeness, cost, reliability, and longevity. My end goal isfor the car to be able tobe driven every day (if i feel the need) and from one ocean to another (again if i feel the need). I want an intercooled system with 450 whp or so.I think that this number was believed to be the maximum safe level on a stock motor. I have spoke with the folks at ProDyno who tuned my car, and was assured that higher levels are attainable on a stock motordependingupon the tune. At first I was leaning towad the Saleen system. Brenspeed sells a kit that comes with injectors, steeda intake, boost-a-pump, tuner(i already have). The problem, so i've heard with the boost-a-pump is that if it becomes overheated the fuse can blow and cause the af mixture to go lean and cause possible damage. I'm not sure if this system has its own oil supply or if the pan has to be tapped. A heat exchanger is an extra $400 as well. I have delt with brenspeed a bit and like them very much. Prices start at $5200 and go up to $6400 and some change depending on psi and thestage 4 kit comes with a GT500 fuel pump.I recently started looking into the kenne bell and whipples.

The kb 8-13psi intercooled kit is nice. It comes with bap, injectors, and flash tool. It has its own oil supply as well. Price $5800.

I just started looking into the whippleand im kind of leaning in that direction. Whipple has been around for quite a while and was one of the first companies to adopt twin screw technology. They have also teamed up with ford racing and worked with them exclusively on the 3v mod motor. Their 10psi HO kit comes with a huge heat exchanger, injectors, intake, GT500 fuel pump, and a tuner (again i have).This system utilizes it'sown oil supply as well.price for the black finish is $6079.

I glanced at the magnuson/steeda chargers but am kind of turned off by there relative small size and that offset axial shaft think that it uses. Anybody know what i'm talking about here?

I applolgize about the length here but I'd really like to hear from some owners of said systems or any subject matter experts whose input may aid in my decision. This is my welcome home from Iraq gift to myself! Many thanks for input from owners and technicians.

HUTCH

Old 05-18-2008, 01:09 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Whipple, Saleen, or Kenne Bell

Run down:

KB/Mangusen = worst supechargers

Saleen = Cheepest and Most Reliable also commes with a 3 year warranty

Whipple = best but hugely expensive, also commes with a 1 year warranty or 3 years if you use the lo-po kit and put it on the day you buy the car, also most efficient. The con is they produce horsepower so safely that you can blow the transmission if you run too much hp.

I'm actually getting ready to order a boost-a-pump over replacing my fuel pump myself, could you point me to the info you read that talks about the boost-a-pump blowing the fuel pump fuse and then leaning out the engine?

Also what does everyone think of the boost-a-pump claim that it evens out the battery voltage for the fuel pump? Is that worth it to get the boost-a-pump on it's own? I assumed it was too good to be true when i read it but figured i would get it anyway just to even out the fuel flow and then replace the pumps when the BAP topped working... if i find it has issues on boost i may still install it.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:27 AM
99GTvert
is my username.

What exactly makes you think the Kenne Bell superchargers are the worst? There are SEVERAL people that use them and are perfectly happy with them.

OP, I don't know much about the Magnuson, but the Kenne Bell and Whipple units are outstanding. One issue with some of the older Saleen superchargers was that they weren't very efficient because they used a Roots type setup (KB and Whipple have twin screw setups)...however, they may have updated them recently.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:37 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

I never said that KB was the worst. I said that Initially i was leaning toward the Saleen(which is a twin screw btw). Now I am leaning toward the Whipple. Part of my search criteria is completness. The saleen is available with the GT500 fuel system in the stage 4 package from Brenspeed. The pump is standard with the Whipple. I have heard, read(on the KB website) and know fellas that run these sc on their cars. They come highly regarded. I haven't ruled them out intirely. I am however, leaning more toward the Whipple.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:38 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

This is the best "which s/c" thread i have seen created! Good job!!

Whipple/KB/Saleen are all very nice. I am sure that people will help you get the correct one for your application.
Old 05-18-2008, 01:49 AM
GT4HUTCH
2nd Gear Member

Y thank you howarmat, I certainly hope so.

Legion5, the issue with the bap fuse came up during a conversation with Dan at ProDyno. He is a level 4 SCT tuner and I completely trust his expertise. I don't think I could ask for a more knowledgable and talented person to tune my Mustang.
Old 05-18-2008, 02:04 AM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

paxton
Old 05-18-2008, 03:30 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I just like the completeness of the whipple H.O. kit and the polished version looks great. Regardless of finish the S/C is great for everything you described. I love the pull in 4th and 5th gear and a custom tune or the whipple tune are best with this S/C IMO. Car feels like a big block after the install. No tapping of oil lines and the oil doen't need to be changed but once every 100,000 miles unles you track the car get it done more often (every 50,000 miles?). I have no complaints or drawbacks IMO with this system.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:47 AM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

they're all good, just choose one
Old 05-18-2008, 12:06 PM
Wildmatt
1st Gear Member

My preference will be whipple.

Quick Reply: Whipple, Saleen, or Kenne Bell