Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about hand held tuners

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 10:18 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

Default Question about hand held tuners

I currently have a handheld xcal2 tuner being used with my mustang, tuned by Bama. I am getting dynotuned tomorrow, however my tuner uses Diablo tuning software. What should I do as far as turning my car to stock?? Should I turn it to stock before he dynotunes it? If I do not turn it to stock, what happens?? I'd like to get this figured out right now, bc I do not want to run into any issues that could have been avoided.

Thanks
Old 05-18-2008, 10:22 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Question about hand held tuners

The best person to ask would be your tuner. I would just take the XCal2 with you. It only takes a minute to flash in the stock tune if they need that. Plus if your tuner is using Diablo, won't you want a Diablo handheld? I certainly would. If you ever need to change anything, set it back to stock, re-program after factory service... many reasons. -Joe
Old 05-18-2008, 10:30 AM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Just bring the SCT with and see what the tuner says.

May I ask why you're getting a custom dyno tune with those mods? Please let us know what kind of gains over Bama's tunes you get.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:31 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jbailer

The best person to ask would be your tuner. I would just take the XCal2 with you. It only takes a minute to flash in the stock tune if they need that. Plus if your tuner is using Diablo, won't you want a Diablo handheld? I certainly would. If you ever need to change anything, set it back to stock, re-program after factory service... many reasons. -Joe
Yes... I am getting a diablo handheld.
My question is, if I turn it back to stock, how is he going to run the car on the dyno with the CAI, without a tune? [&:]
Old 05-18-2008, 10:35 AM
jbailer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: VerginaStang

ORIGINAL: jbailer

Yes... I am getting a diablo handheld.
My question is, if I turn it back to stock, how is he going to run the car on the dyno with the CAI, without a tune? [&:]
Ahh, sorry, I didn't understand. He will have a canned tune based on the modifications you have done. He will flash that into your car and then fine tune from there. If he doesn't have a canned tune, he can easily create one based on the injectors, MAF and such that you are running. It won't be a problem for him at all if it is a decent tuner. -Joe
Old 05-18-2008, 10:38 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sailing220

Just bring the SCT with and see what the tuner says.

May I ask why you're getting a custom dyno tune with those mods? Please let us know what kind of gains over Bama's tunes you get.
I dyno'd at 254 rwhp and 261 rwtqwith bama's performance tune. Nothing against him at all, in fact, I recommend everyone gets tuned by him if they go mail order. He has been very helpful throughout the process, and even sent me a free tune afterward.

My car is not making the power it should (even through an auto). The shop that I go to asked me to come in tomorrow bc hes got some free mods for me and wants to put me back on the dyno bc I was very unhappy with the results.My guy thought he should be seeing more out of the car, and wants to see if he can get more out of it. the onlyissue is the predator tuning software, and I'd rather know what to do than run into a problem. I also threw a set of Summit COP's on the car, so we'll see if that halps any (please dont turn this thread into a COP thread )
Old 05-18-2008, 10:41 AM
sailing220
4th Gear Member

Oh, in your case I would agree that something is wrong with either the tune or your car. Hopefully the dyno tune should get you the correct HP.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:45 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

dynojet or mustang dyno......those numbers are correct if you are on a mustang dyno, something is wrong if that is on a dynojet though unless he isnt using 4th gear when he dynos the car
Old 05-18-2008, 10:46 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

I was on a Dynojet [:@]
Old 05-18-2008, 10:47 AM
VerginaStang
3rd Gear Member

Should he be in 3rd or 4th when running the car??? I'll ask him before he does a pull lol.

Quick Reply: Question about hand held tuners