Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MSD Ford Launch Master (two step)

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 03:01 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

Default RE: MSD Ford Launch Master (two step)

ORIGINAL: Green08BulliTT

youcan build boost in a car with out load. you have to mess with the timing but it can be done. alot of 2steps alow a timing adjust while your in the locked rpm. its not great for turbo life since it makes alot more heat and added stress.
There is a difference between boost (PSI)and spooling. Spooling is the actual turbo spinning at speed where boost is the pressure built up between the turbo and the motor. So unless the turbo has a load placed against it, like with an auto tranny, it will spin and get maybe to even pressure out of vaccuum or slightly above. This is one of the reasons an auto trannied turbo car can makes tons of power at the line.

On very advanced turbo set ups, there can sometimes be another throttle body type plate in between the turbo and the intake manifold. This remains mostly closed under throttle at the line while the driver gives it fuel, causing the turbo to spool putting pressure against the plate. When the driver leaves theline the plate moves and the pressure built up behind the turbo is released and goes forward.

Another is injecting raw fuel into the exhaust upstream of the turbo. Done properly the fuel travels down stream alittle and ignites causing a rapid spooling of the turbo. Again, these are extreme set ups.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:08 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Simon -I think I have a good vid to show that very thing you are describing on a 1400 HP supra (I know but refrain from insults bro loves them[&:])

EDIT: here ya go if that is not it- it is very impressive to say the least
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UQseSBJpbM
Old 05-20-2008, 03:15 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mygt500

Simon -I think I have a good vid to show that very thing you are describing on a 1400 HP supra (I know but refrain from insults[&:])
I was just cruising Youtube and saw quite a few. Saw one break it's windshield?? And mostly poorly tuned ricers shootin flames and ****.

I'm waiting for someone to get one and bring back a report of their experience.

Maybe we could get MSD to give a few out to the board as test mules. Then when everyone loved them they would make a killing. Unles they broke motors like others said and that wouldn't be good for MSD.

I won't be needing it for a while, but it sure is interesting.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:19 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I saw a few more examples in there. One of them looked like they were dumping fuel through the exhaust like I spoke about earlier.

That car is damn fast. Very good working suspension.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:23 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Here is a 1900 HP Viper twin turbo....sounds like a rocket explosion which I assume that is what you were getting at from the post above!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBEeo6l3a6s
Old 05-20-2008, 03:29 AM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I've seen that several times.

That's a great video.
Old 05-20-2008, 03:32 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

And the weight it has to launch it as opposed to the supra and it still kicks like a very pissed bull!
Old 05-20-2008, 05:43 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

My car is a bracket racer and most other bracket racers it seemshave botha 2 step and delay box. We installed the 2 step about a month ago (delay box on order). The attached vid shows the car at the line against a gutted non-street legal drag car. You can really hear his 2 step working for him (can't hear the mustang's at all). In conjunction with the transbrake works great.

http://s149.photobucket.com/albums/s76/forensicsteve/?action=view¤t=10-6a.flv
Old 05-20-2008, 05:46 AM
Intervention
3rd Gear Member

You can get the 2 step to wrok with the tuner.

All you need to do is tape down the upper clutch switch, and have your tuner enable 2step in his tune.

Works perfectly for me
Old 05-20-2008, 07:37 AM
06VistaBlueGT
3rd Gear Member

I had considered a 2 step as well. If you bracket race you have to be careful of what class you run. At the track I run you can't have any kind of launch assist and run a street class. If they find out you're running launch assist, they will move you up to the super pro class. Now another track I run at they could care less.

Quick Reply: MSD Ford Launch Master (two step)