Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 09:55 PM
Doc Holiday
2nd Gear Member

Default What to buy?

I have about $400.00 to spend and can't decide between BBK Ceramic Shorties, or a Bassani catted X pipe. I WILL be keeping the cats for emissions, so O/R and LT's are not options for me. Either job I will do myself in my garage, but wanted input as far as who has these and what gains, sound difference did each make? (bang for buck)....

Old 05-19-2008, 10:04 PM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

Default RE: What to buy?

You can get the LT's and just relocate the CATS....

shorties are not worth it, IMO
Old 05-19-2008, 10:06 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

I put shorties on and I regret not going with LT's instead, relocating the cats doesn't sound like a bad idea

Old 05-19-2008, 10:48 PM
Doc Holiday
2nd Gear Member

Ok, so for $400.00 which LT's should I get? I was thinking the BBK ceramic coated shorties would be good for sound and maybe a few ponies. Also, if I get the Bassani catted X, I'd have to go with shorties to bolt up. I really believe that shorties would perform alot closer to LT's with a free flowing X pipe. People who install LT's almost always remove the cats with an O/R X or H pipe. I really believe this is what makes about a 10hp difference which usually gets credited to the LT headers. There was a thread in here that covered this briefly, but I'd really like to see some before and after dyno's with shorties AND aftermarket X or H pipe. So far, all I've seen is replacing the stock manifolds with shorties and people not happy with the results.

Either way, I'm pretty set on getting shorties and not LT's. The ceramic coated BBK shorties will scavenge heat, and they are "tuned" length headers which HAVE to out perform the stock manifolds. I plan on doing both the X pipe and headers eventually, but wanted to know which one would be better to do first.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:51 PM
MustangFan45
2nd Gear Member

NOt sure about those. I have been checking the SLP's. But, let me know which you decide.
Old 05-19-2008, 11:12 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

400 isnt going to get you LTs really..........800+
Old 05-20-2008, 11:41 AM
Andretti
2nd Gear Member

I put on the Bassani X pipe along with my borla axlebacks at the same time, so I cant tell you the difference of the X pipe by itself.

I am very happy at this point (a year or so later) with the combo of the two (the sound is great). I added the C & L so soon too, that I've pretty much forgotten where it put me performance wise, but I can say with all three I am VERY happy till I remove the C & L for the supercharger.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:45 AM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

I'm going to go with shorties, don't let everyone scare you off from them. Sure you'll seem more power from long tubes but that's expected, not to mention you're going to be spending more than double to get them so I'd hope they'd be giving me more power. My vote is for a set of shorties.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:25 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

OBX LTs + (2) Mid pipes = $500.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:37 PM
2L8IWIN
2nd Gear Member

I put the BBK ceramic shorties on and love them, plus they look great. I also went with ano/r x-pipe and Flowmasters. I'm very happy with my set up.

Quick Reply: What to buy?