Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why did you get a mustang?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 09:43 AM
PSUSkier
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Why did you get a mustang?

Pretty much as soon as I saw the design of the current Mustangs, I fell in love. As far as muscle cars go, the interior was rather well thought out, damn powerful at stock with the ability to still sip on gas (compared to my '97 Mitsubishi Diamante which would average 23 mpg, I still get about 21 on average). Plus I've never had a car that offered the ability to quite literally change any aspect I chose. The number of bolt-ons and physical modifications still kind of blow my mind considering I couldn't even find any CAI that would work with my former car.

/Oh yeah, and made in America too.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:48 AM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I bought it because the power/$ ratio was great and I didn't want a Japanese sports car. I wanted the sound of a V8.

Also. I gave up on saving for a 2009 Challenger. To much moolah. [&:]
Old 05-20-2008, 10:01 AM
VanGTCS
2nd Gear Member

3 reasons really...

1 - I was conceived in the back of a 67 Mustang.
2 - My wifes father (I unfortunately never got a chance to meet the man), had a 68 California Special, hence our 07 California Special
3 - Loved the change to S197. Wasn't, and still am not,afan of 2nd, 3rd or 4th generation Mustangs.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:22 AM
illini4
1st Gear Member

I've always been a Mopar guy and never paid much attention to anything else. A couple years agomy wife and I started noticing Mustang convertables at the Woodward Dream Cruise, and took a close look at the Rousch, Saleen, Foose, and Steeda Mustangs at the Ford exhibit in Birmingham. We decided that we wanted in on the fun, and bought a new GT convertable last July (we also have an 06Chrysler 300C). We took the GT to the Dream Cruise last year and had a blast.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:23 AM
KUcurt
1st Gear Member

I've loved Mustangs ever since I was a kid and I got the '67 Boss Hoss Hot Wheels car back in '67 or '68. since then, I've owned a real '67 convertible, and '86 GT, an '89 GT and now our '07 Tungsten GT. The Mustang has always been about an attitude.

This car is NOT my daily driver, so that makes it easier realizing that I have to drive a Toyota Highlander much of the time. But, when its nice out and it is dry, there is nothing I'd rather drive than the GT.

The Mustang is sort of a lifestyle.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:26 AM
zporta
5th Gear Member

I have love mustangs my whole life i live in a ford family all we drive is fords...my dad got a 65 fastback when i was 10 and my uncle has been dragging stangs since i was a baby they are in my blood and when my 70 year old grandmother bought a 2006 gt i was like damn i need that car!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 10:28 AM
joshetc
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Riptide

I bought it because the power/$ ratio was great and I didn't want a Japanese sports car. I wanted the sound of a V8.

Also. I gave up on saving for a 2009 Challenger. To much moolah. [&:]
That is pretty much it. There are very few new cars that are as fast as the mustang for as little money. When you factor the low price and huge results from modifications, there are even less. S197 is really fast, can be had for under $25k with a V8, and respond to mods extremely well.

There are many more reasons why I chose to stay with a Mustang, now that I've owned one.. but that is what mattered to me when I bought one.
Old 05-20-2008, 10:39 AM
SpongebobGT
1st Gear Member

1. V8 2. Sound of the V8
Old 05-20-2008, 11:00 AM
Stndbck
3rd Gear Member

I love old school muscle. I wanted to get a classic car, however my husband is a bit over doing the work and upkeep of one.When I saw the S197 it looked just like my sisters '69 and that was the first car I ever drove. I wanted one in 2005 but the funds were not there. I got my GT in 2007 when it became financially feasible. I ordered it to be exactly what I wanted as they could not find all the options I wanted anywhere on the lots. Now I have "old school" muscle with a warranty, and the maintenance pkg. I love the car. Ford got this so right.
The new Challenger is quite hot too, however I am not feeling the interior. I have a friend with a '70 and love it but the new look is just not what I had thought it would be. And lets face it is a bit pricey.
The new Camaro looks pretty cool too. But I really have become a fan of the Mustang 100%. The car gets looks and I always get asked "why my son lets me drive his car"...when I tell people it is mine they are shocked!!!!
My car is stock but there are so many toys to add on to the s197 that you can make it be whatever you want it to!
Good luck in your decision. My Dad has a 2007 V6 with the Pony package. He is 73 years old and it makes a kid out of him everytime he gets behind the wheel. Oh yeah, do not use my car as a DD. I have an Explorer to use for the other stuff.
Old 05-20-2008, 11:14 AM
ShadowWulf
2nd Gear Member

1. I wanted new, RWD, and around $20,000.There's no better currently produced RWD carthatgoes for $20,000.
2. Simple design, easy to work on.
3. HUGE aftermarket.
4. Decent gas mileage.
5. Really good insurance costs.

Quick Reply: Why did you get a mustang?