Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do these mods ACTUALLY help that much?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:38 AM
GT/SRT
3rd Gear Member

Default Do these mods ACTUALLY help that much?

I was thinking about what I'm about to put on the car.

I am finishing the exhaust [x pipe] and I'm getting a CAI+tune probably from Bamachips [although I can't find a way to get a hold of them]

The next thing I'm thinking about is 3.73 gears, under drive pulleys and short throw shifter.

Is there some other mod that would be better at this point?

--With 3:55's already are 3:73's actually worth it?
--How much will underdrive pulleys actually help?
--How difficult is the Hurst short throw and is it very noticeable...it definitely looks nice

Thanks guys...AND if anyone has some wheels or wheels/tires for sale let me know, I might be doing that too. I'd like to stay with 17's or maybe 18's and nothing too expensive, just different.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:42 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Do these mods ACTUALLY help that much?

i put the 3.73's on my car and they have a noticable difference. if you are staying NA, then i might chose to go with some 4.10's. it all depends on how much gas prices is murdering your pocketbook right now. The U/D pulleys net about 8-10whp and the Hurst is a great shifter and not hard to shift at all.

all in all, for the money, i think you will be extremely happy with those mods
Old 05-20-2008, 07:45 AM
suoperdave84
4th Gear Member

The CAI and tune will make a huge difference that you can't miss. The 3.73s....I have never gone that low, but I did upgrade to 4.10s, and let me tell you I was not terribly impressed with that upgrade. Honestly I think 4.30s would have been a better choice....but one day I will go FI so I am ok with keeping them. Don't be afraid of 4.10s.....all the horror stories about them are just myth. Mine is my daily driver and I have zero complaints (except I should have gone 4.30s)

The UDPs I have no experience with but I hear the gains are minimal. $200 is a lot for like 5 HP....I bet you can't feel a thing.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:45 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

x-pipe will make your exhaust a little louder obviously....do it!
cai and tune you will really notice...do it www.bamachips.com

gears you will notice on timeslips.
u/d pulleys idk havent done them yet
same with short throw.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:46 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

www. b a m a c h i p s . com but with no spaces.
Old 05-20-2008, 07:48 AM
GT/SRT
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, I'm not sure about the underdrive pulleys...but is there anything else I can do for that money? I guess I could buy springs with that to lower it.

Is there anybody here that HAS gotten underdrive pulleys and/or 3:73's?
Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 AM
Johnboy7701
4th Gear Member

Hurst shifter do it, you will love it... I love mine....
Old 05-20-2008, 08:17 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GT/SRT
--How difficult is the Hurst short throw and is it very noticeable...it definitely looks nice
You might want to consider something like 3.90 or 4.10, I couldn't justify the costs of upgrading from 3.55 to 3.73.

Underdrive pullies help, but you won't feel a huge difference.

Difficult to shift or difficult to install? It just takes getting use to, and the install is easy too. It is very noticable.
Old 05-20-2008, 09:06 AM
GT/SRT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

ORIGINAL: GT/SRT
You might want to consider something like 3.90 or 4.10, I couldn't justify the costs of upgrading from 3.55 to 3.73.

Underdrive pullies help, but you won't feel a huge difference.

Difficult to shift or difficult to install? It just takes getting use to, and the install is easy too. It is very noticable.
Sorry...I meant difficult to install. I had a short throw shifter on my SRT-4 and would NEVER have gone back to the stock one. I was wondering how hard it is to install in the car.

I'm not 100% sure I want to do anything with gears...won't 4:10's hurt top end and screw up my speedo?

As for right now, I probably won't do the UDP...but who knows. ***Is there any other mod you would suggest in their place for $200-$400?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:10 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: suoperdave84

The CAI and tune will make a huge difference that you can't miss. The 3.73s....I have never gone that low, but I did upgrade to 4.10s, and let me tell you I was not terribly impressed with that upgrade. Honestly I think 4.30s would have been a better choice....but one day I will go FI so I am ok with keeping them. Don't be afraid of 4.10s.....all the horror stories about them are just myth. Mine is my daily driver and I have zero complaints (except I should have gone 4.30s)

The UDPs I have no experience with but I hear the gains are minimal. $200 is a lot for like 5 HP....I bet you can't feel a thing.
4.10 rear axle gears are wack and extreem, plus you are running 20's that most likley take you down to 3.99. They aren't a bad thing, the 4.10's, they are just a sacrifice.

Edit: With the recommended rear tire size for Foose 20's, you'd be running at the equivalent of 3.95 gears I think.

Quick Reply: Do these mods ACTUALLY help that much?