Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

so...is my car a shelby?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 05:55 PM
rcj2000
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: so...is my car a shelby?

insurance companies do that all the time. They group a bunch of cars of similar style together. Your insurance went down because its a newer car. The HP doesnt matter, its the cylinders and amount it takes to replacethat matters. And i went from a v6 to a v8 and the insurance was only 15 more a month. insurance companies look at the body more than the motor. ALL mustangs are seen as fast cars in their eyes and easy to crash.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:00 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

I don't know how Ford does it, but I've toured the Corvette Assembly Plant and the Z06 is built right next to coupes and convertibles. Automatics, manuals and everything are assembled at the same time. It could be that your car should have been a GT-500, but got built into a GT instead. Or it could be some sort of clerical error when it was shipped.

As far as insurance rates, what you're seeing here is the impact of driver demographics. People with lower credit scores, more tickets or infractions/accidents, males (especially single), and young people are more likely to get into an accident.

My friend's '07 Corvette costs less to insure than his '04 GT and less than my '06 GT. Most GT-500 owners are going to be older and more affluent, less likely to use all of that power. Besides, who else could but a 50 year old baby boomer could afford to pay $50k for a $40k Mustang, which is really a $20k car with a 5.4 liter V8 instead of a 4.0 liter V6.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:00 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

So you're saying the cost of insurance is the same on a GT as on a Shelby GT500? ... Hardly.
Old 05-20-2008, 06:34 PM
brendend
4th Gear Member

if you have full coverage total your car and get a cobra
Old 05-20-2008, 07:32 PM
VanGTCS
2nd Gear Member

You may want to run the VIN through Carfax to make sure there isn't a history attached to it or a rebuild. The dealership I bought my GT/CS from sold it to me as new, but when I ran the VIN it turned out that it had been previously registered and titled- yes, they sold me a used car as new... my fault, lesson learned. They claimed that thehandful of miles on it were from thegeneral manager of the dealership using it. Every car I buy for the rest of my life, I'll do a Carfax on, even if there are 0 miles on the odometer.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:10 AM
mikeysGT
4th Gear Member

think I'm gonna run it through carfax.. but it did have only 9 miles on it when I got it.. we'll see what carfax comes up with and ill see what the dealer says about it tomorrow. I just thought this was funny and weird.
Old 05-21-2008, 12:39 AM
ensign_lee
3rd Gear Member

If it checks through, you should DEFINITELY put in your sig "the slowest 2008 cobra on earth". It'd be awesome

But in the real world, yeah, you should definitely get the dealer to get Ford to change that somehow. It SHOULD make your insurance even cheaper. Plus, it'll be hard explaining that to someone later should you decide to sell your car.

Either that, or somehow convince them to make your car into a cobra, since they sold you a COBRA. Might want to talk to a lawyer to see if that's possible?
Old 05-21-2008, 01:13 AM
raubt
4th Gear Member

When I first got my new 06 Mustang insured I got the insurance cards in the mail and they said "1998 Ford Windstar" valued at $25,000 or whatever.

I was like wow, those Windstars sure hold their value.
Old 05-21-2008, 02:26 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

well, this is what happens when Ford, in their infinite wisdom, refuses to pay the $$$ Shelby wanted for the rights to name the new GT500 "Cobra"!
Officially, there's no such thing as a 2008 Cobra!
Go look at that new one sitting in your dealer's showroom. You won't see the word "COBRA" on it.

So Ford decision effects even what insurance companies think a car is called. They made up that name for it just like everyone at the car show that it first appeared in.

You might want to just call Ford and see why that VIN is showing up that way, but I really think it's just your insurance company's goof.

Don't believe everything in a Carfax! I ran them on cars I'd owned and sold a while ago and they show lies and don't show accidents and repairs!
They might at best be just a red flag. But a clean Carfax doesn't mean much to me.
To prove this just run one on a car you owned before that had a problem.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:45 AM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

well, this is what happens when Ford, in their infinite wisdom, refuses to pay the $$$ Shelby wanted for the rights to name the new GT500 "Cobra"!
No. The "Cobra" trademark and snake logo are the property of Ford. They grant Shelby a license to use them. And "Shelby" and "GT-500" are trademarks of Carroll Shelby Licensing, so Ford did pay Shelby $$$ to name the new car.

Quick Reply: so...is my car a shelby?