Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you getting road damage to your hood, fenders and headlamp plastic covers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:03 PM
Silencer06
2nd Gear Member

Location: Raised in Chicago; living near St. Louis in Troy, IL
Default RE: Are you getting road damage to your hood, fenders and headlamp plastic covers?

ORIGINAL: TPony

Absolutely, WA must have one of the worst maintained state roads....rock chips galore....
I second that. I lived near Seattle for 6 years and received SIX rock chips and two loooong cracks to my truck windshield, and that experience taught me enough to not drive the Stang around there too frequently. Fortunately I survived the year I owned it there without any chips, and I've since moved to Illinois and have lived here one year and I'm happy to announce that I've gotten ZERO chips since being here either.

In any case, I'm also interested in getting a clear bra for my car because the fascia is getting peppered some, and of course, it's "kind of" noticeable with black (ha, kind of!). I suppose some road chippage is to be expected in any color and I accept it to some degree, but it really bothers me whenever I enter the Pony in a car show. Fortunately I don't do that a lot so the chips are mostly something I have to learn to deal with on my own....until I can find a trustworthy place to install 3M or some other product. I'll be watching this thread with interest in the meantime.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:05 PM
yur1279
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Are you getting road damage to your hood, fenders and headlamp plastic covers?

I live on Long Island, NY. I've had my car since mid feb. and already have 7 chips in my windshield and a few nice nicks in my hood/fender/and one on my damn roof! Really pisses me off, especially the winshield. My last car had the same problem with the glass, yet my 89 Taurus beater has not 1 chip in the glass, I don't get it. Is fords glass that much sheaper these days?
Old 05-20-2008, 09:21 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I live in Michigan (the pothole state)[:@] and they fill all the new potholes each year with loose asphalt and let the passerbys just run over them and pack them down[&:]. Well that creates so many flying particles and little asphalt stones (some hot no less) that sandblast the custom paint on my car. I too am looking into X-pel and they are local but expensive but cheaper than a hood, bumper, and fender repaint! I have 2 chips and both managed to be in the stripes! (satin silver metallic)!One on the lower part of the front bumper and the other on the lip of the hood and it had to happen on the spirited late night drive just before storage last year as it was not there previously.....funny thing is no one was on the road[&o]....SO HOW THE HELL DID THAT HAPPEN?!!!! anyway I feel you pain Daniel60!
Old 05-20-2008, 09:54 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

I used Xpel as well. I noticed a large chip on the edge of my hood within a week of owning the car. Got the 3M clear bra - no chips since. I even put it my chin spoiler after the fact - no chips there either. Get it.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:40 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Called the guy today in Hilton Head, South Carolina and he saids he frequents Charleston twice a month. The Kit cost 600 dollars and that's including installation. He said he recommended me to let the new paint cure for a week but he has applied it on the same day. Thumper and Doc did you get yours done immediately or did you have it repainted and then installed? Anyway anyone who wants the number for the South Carolina location it is 1-843-842-2001.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:47 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

I had it done at the dealer. So you're going to get it repainted first? If you do that you need to wait 90 days before putting it on.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:02 PM
pascal
S197 Section Modder-ator

ORIGINAL: Daniel60

...he has applied it on the same day.
Here goes the paint job.
Yes, wait a week.

Good luck Ociffer.
Old 05-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Rubrignitz
5th Gear Member

I've had rocks here in central TX hit my windshield and sound like a gunshot. I have two VERY small nicks and that's it. I think our glass is pretty stout. Haven't really noticed anything on the hood, bumper or headlight protectors yet. YET....
Old 05-21-2008, 05:19 PM
1morepart
4th Gear Member

looks like what i need...good link post,Doctorq
Old 05-21-2008, 05:21 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

The windshield on my car when I got it from the original owner looked like it had been sandblasted. Car had only 4500 miles. Couple weeks go I got hit by a rock, sounded like a gunshot. Tried to have the chip filled in and the 3/4" crack decided to run almost 6" right on the spot. Had to have it replaced with a new windshield - which had two nasty hairline scratches in it from the install. Got the windshield replaced again for free and it was OK.

I think the glass sucks.

Quick Reply: Are you getting road damage to your hood, fenders and headlamp plastic covers?