Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are you getting road damage to your hood, fenders and headlamp plastic covers?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 04:53 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default Are you getting road damage to your hood, fenders and headlamp plastic covers?

I own a drop dead sexy black Mustang GT and the car shines with no tomorrow but I am

having to paint my hood every other year. My windshield, headlamps, fenders and front

bumper all suffer from paint chips and in some places just freaking holes. I'm a police officer

at a seaport terminal and I don't have a take home car. Our terminal is visited by container

trucks everyday. My ride to work includes the interstate and their is no way to miss the

sand and rocks it includes. I went to the paint shop today not Ford's paint and body and

they said my paint is beautiful that I just suffer from the every day driving. Charleston,

South Carolina doesn't even have knowledge of these 3-m plastic bras'. Does anyone know a

location near this area that could do this type of work?or maybe being where I work and

drive it doesn't make a difference. I have at least four or five thousand dollars in my car and

love her very much but I'm almost thinking of selling her just for the simple fact I can't keep

her in the condition she deserves. I'm writing this as some type of therapy and I love to hear

your nightmare stories if there is any on your paint.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:58 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Are you getting road damage to your hood, fenders and headlamp plastic covers?

My car has only 7000 miles on it and it could already use a repaint on the front bumper. I've filled in chips on the hood, tons of them. Windshield has been replaced once already because of rock damage.

It's not just your car. Black looks gorgeous but if you are obsessive compulsive about keeping it looking perfect - better sell it. It shows every scratch, ding, swirl, etc. worse than any other color. It really is BAD.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Are you getting road damage to your hood, fenders and headlamp plastic covers?

Thanks for your reply dude it makes me feel better. I'm thinking of painting my hood and bumper again. Fu8k it. I sure would like to install the plastic bra though..............
Old 05-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Fullsayl
2nd Gear Member

I feel you pain man. I live in Oregon, and she is my DD, so I have plenty of wear to the front fascia. I use a Ford Factory Bra to hide the damage in the summer (rains too much here in the winter to leave the bra on) and then repaint it every 2 years.

~cry~

~Matt
Old 05-20-2008, 05:08 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Same here. I've just decided to do what I can on keeping the finish up as well as I can while at the same time driving the car in ways that help minimize problems. For instance not following behind big pickup trucks and SUVs if possible. Especially on the interstate. Avoiding areas in the road with dirt and gravel around like construction sites.

As far as scratches and crap like that I'll just have to get a porter cable tool eventually and do the work myself. The detailers around my town are to much of a risky proposition.

Once the car gets enough touchup spots on the front end I'll end up having to throw a couple grand at it to get the entire front repainted.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:09 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

I'm feeling better thanks. My wife is originally from Portland , Oregon. I want to visit there one day. She tells me that our mountains in the south are hills and I haven't a clue on what mountains and oceans look like to I go to the west coast.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:11 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Say it can't be just our color can it? maybe we are susceptible to this b.s. being S-197 owner's.
Old 05-20-2008, 05:18 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

I had the X-Pel 3M clear bra installed 13 months ago.. best investment I've made. $599 installed... included extended hood piece, fenders, front bumper, chin spoiler, headlamps, foglamps, turn-signal lamps, mirrors, and door cups. That 8mil material is really tough.. I've seen small objects (thrown from cars in front on me) bounce right off (and over car). Here's a link.. click on "Locate an XPel Dealer" on the left, and input your zip code. Here's a pic of mine installed.. very hard to even see the lines.

http://www.xpel.com/products/paint.asp

[IMG]local://upfiles/48520/6B7F0884656B40218229C10E68A38A7F.jpg[/IMG]
Old 05-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Just sent them an email. I'm ready to spend whatever it cost to get back the beauty I deserve. Thanks big guy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-20-2008, 05:27 PM
ThumperMX113
5th Gear Member

Why are you posting like that? It makes it very hard to read !!

Regardless very minimal. I have one spot on my hood and my bumper but they are very small and no one would know unless I pointed them out. I highly recommend getting the 3M Clear Bra. It's non exsistant on the lighter colors however on the darker color cars you can normally notice the edges. However it's a trade off, would you rather be looking at chips, scratches, etc or the edges of the 3M Clear Bra. I've owned one and it did it's job and held up amazing. People say they yellow but they are crazy. They must of got some cheap knock off of the 3M Clear Bra or put something on the paint that wasn't supposed to be there. I live in Florida and experienced no yellowing in years of having it on there.

Quick Reply: Are you getting road damage to your hood, fenders and headlamp plastic covers?