Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear help... 3:90 or 4:10

Old 05-22-2008, 09:19 AM
GT/SRT
3rd Gear Member

Default Gear help... 3:90 or 4:10

OK...before you be "that guy" and respond first, then read later listen to this:

I got some info from here that Motive gears were crap. I asked the guy that owns the shop I'm having them put in and he said Motive has 2 types. He said that there are the regular Motives and they're crap and they whine. He also said that there is Motive Performance and they don't whine.

So...if the more expensive Motive Performance gears don't whine...then help with this question:

3:90 or 4:10

LOTS of people here are talking about the positives of 4:10's but I haven't heard any negatives. Not that I really should be...but how have 4:10's affected roll racing? I know it's not the first idea, but let's be honest there are a lot of times when you're cruising somewhere and someone on the highway wants to run. How has it changed it?

What about gas mileage? Friend of mine with a T/A put 4:10's in his car and HATED them. He said his gas mileage was terrible and his top end suffered a bit. I don't know what the difference would be between 4:10's on a 6 speed vs. the mustang's 5 speed.

I just need some help figuring out which to do...some pro's and con's.

***No matter what I do, I'm buying some new [wider] wheels and new tires for traction.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:40 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Gear help... 3:90 or 4:10

I've heard that 3.90:1 gears are a great compromise.... but if you already have 3.55:1 gears.. you will feel more of a difference with 4.10:1 gears.

ORIGINAL: GT/SRT

OK...before you be "that guy" and respond first, then read later listen to this:

I got some info from here that Motive gears were crap. I asked the guy that owns the shop I'm having them put in and he said Motive has 2 types. He said that there are the regular Motives and they're crap and they whine. He also said that there is Motive Performance and they don't whine.

So...if the more expensive Motive Performance gears don't whine...then help with this question:

3:90 or 4:10

LOTS of people here are talking about the positives of 4:10's but I haven't heard any negatives. Not that I really should be...but how have 4:10's affected roll racing? I know it's not the first idea, but let's be honest there are a lot of times when you're cruising somewhere and someone on the highway wants to run. How has it changed it?

What about gas mileage? Friend of mine with a T/A put 4:10's in his car and HATED them. He said his gas mileage was terrible and his top end suffered a bit. I don't know what the difference would be between 4:10's on a 6 speed vs. the mustang's 5 speed.

I just need some help figuring out which to do...some pro's and con's.

***No matter what I do, I'm buying some new [wider] wheels and new tires for traction.

Thanks guys.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:54 AM
GT/SRT
3rd Gear Member

Yes, I have 3:55 now.

I can't make up my mind between the 3:90 and 4:10.

I don't want gas mileage to be terrible [horror stories] and I don't want highway runs to suck.

That's why I wanted to ask some of you guys that actually have 4:10's how your car does from a roll...since the only time anyone ever wants to race me is on the highway.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:03 AM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

3.90:1 or 4.10:1 gears will actually help on the highway with regard to responsiveness.... with 4.10:1 gears giving you a bigger edge.

Here is some general info about what gears do:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_ratio

and there are plenty of threads here that describe what rpms you will be running with each gear.

ORIGINAL: GT/SRT

Yes, I have 3:55 now.

I can't make up my mind between the 3:90 and 4:10.

I don't want gas mileage to be terrible [horror stories] and I don't want highway runs to suck.

That's why I wanted to ask some of you guys that actually have 4:10's how your car does from a roll...since the only time anyone ever wants to race me is on the highway.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:04 AM
SuperSonic05
3rd Gear Member

I am in the same boat. I think of getting 3.90 gears for the compromise but I don't want to go back later and get 4.10.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:19 AM
Lito
2nd Gear Member

If Ford made the 3.90's I would got that, because they don't I have a 3.73.

They are good but would want more.

Now that I'm going turbo they fit better, may even go to 3.55 then.

So, it is a matter of taste, tire/wheel size, use, goals and how important is MPG to you (I really don't care)
Old 05-22-2008, 02:00 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I've had three gear ratio's in mine, 3.55, 4.10, and 3.73. Here's my opinion....

3.55 (stock) decent, but fell flat in 5th gear on the Highway.

4.10 Great!!!!For around town, and short trips on the Hwy. But for extended hwy driving I was able to watch my gas gauge move @80 mph. Also your rev's will be @3000 at that speed. Do you have a loud exhaust, something else to consider. For a car that will see the track a LOT I would say get the 4.10's.

3.73 Great comprimise, much better acceleration, highway friendly, and wakes up 5th gear when you need to deal with ricer's at 100+. In my opinion the perfect gear for a highway driven Mustang.
Old 05-22-2008, 03:46 PM
MustangBatman1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bluestar

I've had three gear ratio's in mine, 3.55, 4.10, and 3.73. Here's my opinion....

3.55 (stock) decent, but fell flat in 5th gear on the Highway.

4.10 Great!!!!For around town, and short trips on the Hwy. But for extended hwy driving I was able to watch my gas gauge move @80 mph. Also your rev's will be @3000 at that speed. Do you have a loud exhaust, something else to consider. For a car that will see the track a LOT I would say get the 4.10's.

3.73 Great comprimise, much better acceleration, highway friendly, and wakes up 5th gear when you need to deal with ricer's at 100+. In my opinion the perfect gear for a highway driven Mustang.
+1

I have 4.10's and have no complaints about them. You're obviously going to lose around 2mpg but it's nothing serious. I also have the motive performance gears and they do in fact whine but its not very noticable unless you let off the gas and turn off your radio. The exhaust always drowns out the sound not to mention if your music is on you won't hear it anyway.
Old 05-22-2008, 04:00 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

Dude if you can't push the button then don't. Going from 3:55 to 3:73s is where you want to go. 3:90s seriously can't be much different then 4:10s'. I have the 4:10s' myself and love them. If I run my high test tune I still get decent gas mileage about 24 to 25 on the interstate and around town 22 to 23 with a combination of interstate and town. When I first got mine I was amazed at the acceleration. To me it isn't even fair to a mustang who doesn't know you have them. I also worried about the top end and even wrote about it to Bluestar but really I don't need to go too fast and loosemy license. Don't misunderstand though these cars will run plenty of top end even with the 4:10s. Timmy here on the forums saids he has been over a 140Mph. I personally can't comment on that. I get about 21-23 mpg around town and interstate with my 87 tune. I don't think that is bad, I do however have steeda under drive pulleys and they claim to give better gas mileage but I doubt it. Good Luck.

Revs:

55 - 2000
85 - 3000
Old 05-22-2008, 04:14 PM
GT/SRT
3rd Gear Member

Thanks for your help guys...I don't race much on the highway anyway [I actually haven't raced since I bought the car---which is a smart thing] so I probably wouldn't even need to worry about it.

I've pretty much decided on the 4:10's. Thanks again for the insight.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gear help... 3:90 or 4:10