Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18 Year Old Decisions...

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:24 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: 18 Year Old Decisions...

ORIGINAL: whtcanbrwnd04u

I do go out to the track once in a while. I really want the supercharger whine. Also, think about it..

full exhaust = $1k
4.10s = $500
CMDP + UDP = $400

Thats almost 2k.. for how much hp? 30?

Then... used supercharger = $3k, how much hp? 100? Dont forget the sexy whine
Can you really find a used supercharger for $3k? Probably closer to $4k...

You may also want to consider resale value. A supercharged Mustang depreciates in value far faster than a stock vehicle or one with mild bolt ons.

After the car has been modded that much, most buyers wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot poll. Most will see it as a maintenance headache and will assumed you've abused the car. If they want a supercharged car, then they'll just start with a used GT and those are a dime a dozen.

Unless your car is paid off, entirely out of warranty, and you're planning on keeping it for years, then I wouldn't do it. Bolt a supercharger on and your car will instantly be worth LESS than it is now.

You'd probably be better saving your money for a few years and trading in your GT for a GT-500 when those become cheaper. We're also one year away from a refreshed Mustang, you may like the new GT's better. There might even be a Boss Mustang coming out...
Old 05-25-2008, 05:36 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

+1^ Making such an expensive purchase should come after months or research and talking with people who have them. There is always going to be a newer/better mustangs comming out its just a matter of what you want. Do you want to make something that is your own? Or do you want something like everyone else? I chose this car because I believe it has an outstanding platform for any mods. If you new mustangs come out and they are faster you will already be one up on them with the s/c. Also it is much cheaper to mod your car then to get SCREWED by the dealers when you try to trade in.
Old 05-25-2008, 05:39 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

Good point. I see them going for under 4k pretty often. About re-sale value, you can always take it off and sell it. I do like the fact of trading it for the 5.0 when it comes out. [:-]
Old 05-25-2008, 07:27 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I can only give you the advise you do NOT want to hear. And that is that you should be working and saving at your age! Spending all that money on a S/C you don't need makes no sense at your age. Modding a car is a very expensive hobby and so is going to the track.
Are you racing for cash??? Because that's the only way I could see throwing away $3,000+ on mods. You will never see a dime back, especially when/if you crash or get the car impounded.
You've got a cool car already so the only thing you should be doing with your extra money at your age is getting as many dates as you can! Use it to do some traveling or get schooling or training.
Just filling up the Mustang is costing $20 more than just back in October 2007.[]

Ask yourself what you are getting out of these types of mods. Because in 10 years I'll bet you'll wish you had invested the money instead!
Old 05-25-2008, 08:34 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

I can only give you the advise you do NOT want to hear. And that is that you should be working and saving at your age! Spending all that money on a S/C you don't need makes no sense at your age. Modding a car is a very expensive hobby and so is going to the track.
Are you racing for cash??? Because that's the only way I could see throwing away $3,000+ on mods. You will never see a dime back, especially when/if you crash or get the car impounded.
You've got a cool car already so the only thing you should be doing with your extra money at your age is getting as many dates as you can! Use it to do some traveling or get schooling or training.
Just filling up the Mustang is costing $20 more than just back in October 2007.[]

Ask yourself what you are getting out of these types of mods. Because in 10 years I'll bet you'll wish you had invested the money instead!
Fun/Pleasure/Bragging rights.

I think my first option is still a good one. Spend one months salary, and secure the rest
Old 05-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Kara
4th Gear Member

hmmmm if it where me I would get a s/c
Old 05-25-2008, 08:51 PM
cobra443
4th Gear Member

Just save up for a while then decide what you want to do. That way you can have all your options open and you'll have time to really think about it.
Old 05-25-2008, 08:56 PM
optras
2nd Gear Member

Take it from another person your age...hold onto the money for school or rent or who knows what else. Tickets have nothing to do with how much power your car has, though they have to do with habits. I've driven for five years now and I got one ticket and it was in an F-150 so I'm not completely innocent, I speed some too, just not habitually. The ladies don't care either way if you have a supercharger and personally I don't really care WHAT the guys think (hence the V6.) I'm planning on getting a fox-body with a crate engine someday just to enjoy for myself. Set your limits high but just tell yourself "one day" until you have a career. Besides, people are already giving you a hard time about being so young and having the GT, you really want to throw fuel on the fire?
Old 05-25-2008, 09:00 PM
MikesTorchedGT
2nd Gear Member

Why don't you just work for 2 months save all your money then decide, what's the rush? This thread might be pointless, you might decide something now and in the time between now and when you get enough for you first mod somethin might chane and you might have a new plan for this money. I'm 20 and one thing I can tell you from expierence is don't be in a rush to spend your hard earned money. Once its gone... its gone....
Old 05-25-2008, 09:02 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: optras

Take it from another person your age...hold onto the money for school or rent or who knows what else. Tickets have nothing to do with how much power your car has, though they have to do with habits. I've driven for five years now and I got one ticket and it was in an F-150 so I'm not completely innocent, I speed some too, just not habitually. The ladies don't care either way if you have a supercharger and personally I don't really care WHAT the guys think (hence the V6.) I'm planning on getting a fox-body with a crate engine someday just to enjoy for myself. Set your limits high but just tell yourself "one day" until you have a career. Besides, people are already giving you a hard time about being so young and having the GT, you really want to throw fuel on the fire?
No not really, theres a 16-17 year old at my school who has TWO m3s. Its ridiculous, one is stock, one is a custom show car, which he bought all tricked out... stage 3 supercharged. Its insane. Theres another kid with an 07 z06 vette. I dont get any crap at school about it. Just online. It doesn't bother me though

Quick Reply: 18 Year Old Decisions...