Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

? for D-spec owners

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 05:21 PM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

Default ? for D-spec owners

Is the nut that is right under your adjustment setting point in the trunk supposed to be tight? There's a noise coming from my *** end, and that was the 1st place I looked and it's loose as a goose, both sides. Are they supposed to be tight or not so much??
Old 05-25-2008, 05:34 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: ? for D-spec owners

I remember taking my original shocks off and that nut spun like a bitch but the whole shock was turning, not the nut itself.....thats what yours are doing too i would assume
Old 05-25-2008, 05:39 PM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

They are still connected to everything, would it just be the dust shield moving? I suppose I could try tightening it.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:06 AM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

Stan, what does the noise sound like?
I have a weird rattle/squeak sound now.
I thought it was my LCA poly bushings but I greased them yesterday and the sound is still there; it is really loud below 30MPH.
The sound is a mixture of a rattle and a squeak and does not make much sense in that it does not always coincide with bumps, but some times it does, it is such an odd sound.

If you are talking about the nut that is up against the big washer on top of the fat rubber bushing, that is the nut the holds the shock in, yes it should be tight.
I checked mine today and I found nothing wrong.
I can't tell if it is the springs, shocks, LCA, or Panhard making the noise, but it is def coming from the driver’s side rear.
Old 05-26-2008, 01:43 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

Stan I now see what you mean.
I put a wrench on that nut and it spins the whole thing, the nut and the inner adjuster.
Does anyone know if this is normal?

Is it possible that the shock itself has gone bad, will a shock squeak and rattle internally?
Old 05-26-2008, 01:47 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: JRT1

I put a wrench on that nut and it spins the whole thing, the nut and the inner adjuster.

Is it possible that the shock itself has gone bad, will a shock squeak and rattle internally?
no its normal, that is what i was saying in my post above. the original shocks did the same and the dspecs do too.....
Old 05-26-2008, 02:06 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

I had the same issue and it was a loose shock. Make sure your bushings are in the right place, one inside the car between the metal washerand the mountand one outside in the wheel well. It doesn't take much, but put an 8mm wrench on the top and snug down the nut on the top of the shock. Don't do it too much or it will break or strip the top where the cap for the adjustment is. I did this and had to replace one of the shocks. I got a little over zealous in my tightening.
Old 05-26-2008, 02:07 PM
Simon1
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JRT1

No squeeking or rattling anymore. I can hear them compress and depress at times but other than that, silence.
Old 05-27-2008, 03:35 PM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

Just heard back from Brenspeed (they have AWESOME customer service for those of you who have never delt with them), Dave says the nut inside the car where the adjustment valve is should be 29 inch pounds. That's not alot folks! I will try that tonight and see if it works out!
Old 05-27-2008, 03:38 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

I had the same problem when I was installing the rear shocks this weekend. Basically the nut just spins the shaft forever. We used a tiny little wrench ( don't remember what size, but it was SMALL ) to lock the stud in place while using the open end of the other wrench, again i don't remember the size of the nut, to tighten it up. Until you do that, and get it torqued down to spec ( 10 ft lbs ) then you're going to get some serious rattling.

Quick Reply: ? for D-spec owners