Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Water Doctor

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

Default The Water Doctor

Long story short, I've developed the now infamous water leak issue in the front passenger footwell area. I called around to dealerships today to get the scoop on whether or not they've seen this issue.

Those that I spoke to said that they had not heard about the problem *rolls eyes*. So of course, when they asked me to bring it in, my inital response was "No way. My car is not going to be the test vehicle." That's when they told me that they contract water issues to a company called 'The Water Doctor'. A dealership in MD and one in PA told me this. I asked if I could have a contact number for one of their reps, so I could scope things out for myself. The person I talked to from T.W.D said that he services most all of the Ford dealerships in the area. He's done about 20 Mustangs so far and only a few had to come back a second time. He said most of the problems are as a result of a bad (or incomplete) body seam underneath the cowl piece. Furthermore, he said that he has to 'modify' the cowl piece to get it back on. I tried to get him to elaborate, but he was a bit hard to understand. Sounded like he has to break or take off one of the cowl tabs to "get clearance"? Any idea or experiences with this?

Anyway, seems like no matter which dealership I go to in the area, I'm going to get the same treatment. Does anyone have any experience with this company?

Thanks as always,

~Fletch~
Old 05-27-2008, 06:12 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Default RE: The Water Doctor

Hey I had the problem from day one. I brought the car in before the TSB came out for it. My dealer was great to work with, and actually used these forums for info. They slowed the leak the first time, almost stopped it the second, then fixed it for good the third. The TSB was out on the last try, and they did the complete TSB, which covers four different areas. They replaced the cowl with a new one that had modified clips. Make sure that whoever does it that they do it by the TSB, with the revised cowl.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:38 PM
06blueovalblueGT
2nd Gear Member

Fletch,I agree with you,
I dont want my Mustang being a "mule",
Being a garage queen,I havent had the leak problem......yet,
But,I want it looked at before the warranty runs out.

Maybe, I'll go out and hit a water-buffalo,
"Can I borrow your towel"
fletch '85
Old 05-27-2008, 06:41 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the feedback, americaniron. I just want to make sure that I know what you mean when you say "revised cowl". You're talking about the black plastic piece that runs the length of the windshield, right below the wipers?

If so, I'll make sure they know to replace it.

I feel like you really have to be your own advocate with this stuff...or maybe I'm just paranoid?

~Fletch~
Old 05-27-2008, 07:04 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Hey fletch I'm looking at the TSB, and I may be mistaken on the cowl being replaced. I think it's the cowl retainers that have been modified. It's TSB 07-14-6. And yes it's the black strip just underneath the windshield. http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...st-07-14-6.pdf
Old 05-27-2008, 08:14 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

I must be one of the lucky ones - my dealer nailed it on the first try (knock on wood).. but I was the 4th or 5th they had come in for the leak. Sounds like all your local dealers farm out this type of thing to that Water Doctor, so you're probably on the right track. And the info they gave you sounds right too - I had missing areas of sealer, and the above mentioned revised cowl peice.
Old 05-27-2008, 08:40 PM
Fletch
2nd Gear Member

I took a look at the TSB and wasn't able to find anywhere that it mentions replacing the cowl retainers. But I believe you're right because I do remember reading about it in another thread.

I'll definitely mention it when I call.

~Fletch~