Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang GT SEAT BELT WARNING SOUND

Old 06-06-2008, 12:16 AM
SikO7GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang GT SEAT BELT WARNING SOUND

There's a reason why its so annoying.....SO THAT U PUT THE DAM THING ON!!! You never know when u might get into an accident so i advise that u put it on!!
Why do u think alarm clocks are so annoying....So that u get ur a** up!!!
Old 06-06-2008, 12:37 AM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

haha, yeah I gotta agree... just wear the belt
Old 06-06-2008, 03:43 AM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

+1 for the buckle up side. The one serious accident I was in, the seatbelt kept me from ending up a bloody spot on the other side of the I-10.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:17 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Dudes - the OP never said he was going to drive without his belt on. There are some legit reasons to turn the nag off. For example - when I finish an AutoX run or come off the road track and am driving back to the pits (note I have a CG lock on, belt is VERY tight and won't loosen on its own) I want to unlock the belt. I'm driving at walking speed here. Same applies to drag racing - you need to get back to the pits and if you are locked in its nice to be able just to remove the belt.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:40 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Rough Crowd .. some folks think big brother should not control your life .....
Old 06-06-2008, 08:20 AM
Ruffnuts
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

Dudes - the OP never said he was going to drive without his belt on. There are some legit reasons to turn the nag off. For example - when I finish an AutoX run or come off the road track and am driving back to the pits (note I have a CG lock on, belt is VERY tight and won't loosen on its own) I want to unlock the belt. I'm driving at walking speed here. Same applies to drag racing - you need to get back to the pits and if you are locked in its nice to be able just to remove the belt.
As a drag racer I wear ear plugs and a helmet so I dont hear the belt warning when traveling down the return road.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:52 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

Really all seatbelt minders do is they undermine personal responsibility by removing it and taking responsibility for you. This supresses people's personal responsibility obviously by replacing it. Some would say that they then "work" by replacing personal reponsibility with mechanical responsibility and this is just as effective as the original personal responsibility, but that's clearly not true. They replace personal responsibility with a message that is more annoying than the one in people's heads, and with a message that is more insulting because it commes from a peice of plastic rather than from morals and smarts.

For some people I think this would make it LESS likley to wear their seatbelt becaue of the minder, because the message is really not likable.

Seat belt minders are great if you are an idiot and need that sort of reminder because you can't provide it yourself, but i've now seen tons of people that used to take care of the seat belt thing themselves stop wearing their seat belt, girls espetially, i know one that just yells at it and talks down to the beep lol. Anyway my point is that with some people it's more effective to take care of it themselves I think, so they might want to remove it not to wear their belt less, but because they are independent and it makes them wear it less in the end.

Like sure originally when both the message in a person's head and the seat belt minder coexisted everyone would wear their belt more, but after a long while of living with it around their lives day and day out the minder pushed the message in some people's heads out of the way and replaced it with a lower quality one. Thanks about it lol.
Old 06-06-2008, 08:54 AM
Legion5
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dmhines

Rough Crowd .. some folks think big brother should not control your life .....
case and point^, not everyone who likes wearing their seat belt thinks the best solution to it for them is using big brother to help with that.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:51 AM
Norm Peterson
6th Gear Member

t ign
ORIGINAL: Argonaut

Dudes - the OP never said he was going to drive without his belt on. There are some legit reasons to turn the nag off.
Maybe not in so many words, but he sure left the door open for letting people think that he would.

I don"t like "big brother is watching/nagging me" any more than the next guy. If anything, less than most (mostly separate rants). But I don"t want my insurance rates to climb over accident claims paid out involving anybody with whom I have anything in common doing (or not doing, in this instance) things that would get me lumped into a "riskier" insurance grouping.

And I really don"t want to be anywhere near the path of somebody who is using the steering wheel more for something to hang on to than to steer with because they"re sliding around in the seat.

FWIW, I"ve never felt any urge to unbuckle either my lap/shoulder belt or the separate chest strap before returning to grid. Then again, seat belt usage is so deeply ingrained in me at this point (I think it"s up to 44 continuous years) thatif Ido notclick the buckle even to move one of my cars 20 feet in the driveway it tooka conscious effort to make that choice - and still felt somehow "wrong".

Semi on-topic question regarding seat belt nuisances- who else remembers the seat belt ignition interlocks of 1974-75?

Norm
Old 06-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Brian76
1st Gear Member

Its funny how nobody likes Big Brother watching them,but yet most of the replys are acting like Big Brother..He didnt ask for you to critisize and tell him what to do..He asked how to disable it..Just answer the question.What he does from there is his buisness,not yours.I personally wear mine everywhere,that doesnt meen you have to.....[:@][:@]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Mustang GT SEAT BELT WARNING SOUND