Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil - not this **** again

Old 06-06-2008, 01:33 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default Oil - not this **** again

My car is NA and is a daily driver. I put about 6-8000 on it a year. Currently it has 7000 miles on it and at last oil change I had the dealer put in the motorcraft semi synth 5w-20. I drive the car aggressively but not anything ridiculous. Occasional WOT starts. Very few if any trips to the track are planned. I do have lots of short trips (less than 3 miles) in stop and go traffic. Lots of idling.

Would it be worth it to switch to a fully synth oil like royal purple? Or should I just save the cash and keep feeding it the motorcraft stuff which is what Ford recommends.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:40 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Oil - not this **** again

i used to use the semi-synthetic also but switched to full synthetic...if you do convert, you will have to use full synthetic from now on...the dealer does not recommend going to sythetic then switching back to semi-

the good thing about mobil-1 or royal purple is that you technically dont have to change the oil for about 15,000-25,000 miles...all they require is that you change out the filter about every 5,000 miles. i change mine oil reguardless about every 10,000 and it still looks brand new.

personally, as little as you drive it, i would just keep sticking the semi-synthetic in it
Old 06-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

OK. I change the oil every 3000 miles even though Ford says it's not necessary to do it quite that often.
Old 06-06-2008, 01:56 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I run fully synthetic on my DD.
Old 06-06-2008, 02:13 PM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

An answer for that kind of question is hard to do. Let me use this analogy. The thread about oil seperator has alot of stuff in it. Some have found less expensive ways of accomplishing the same thing. Some of those ways wont necessarily last as long, but will perform the job sufficiently well. Like the opening post says, "If you want the ***** best, here's the recipe". Using synthetic over regular oil or even a blend (which is only about 20% syn oil) is the equivilant to "***** best". You will get by just fine with Motorcraft.
I have torn down engines at my shop and have seen the difference between a true synthetic oil vs anything else. The engine is much cleaner. Very little, if any, ugly brown varnish build-up. Bearing wear, cylinder cross-hatching, etc, all look better in synthetic only engines.

I use Amsoil. And I will continue to use it in every car I own. What you use is up to you. Bet just keep in mind the "***** best" analogy.
Old 06-06-2008, 04:23 PM
LX200
4th Gear Member

Mobil 1. I drive 3000 miles a year on it, so I change it once a year.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:30 PM
blueherd02gt
5th Gear Member

To this I'd say how many ford 3v's have you broken down? Pushrods love synthetic oils but ford OHC motors like a little petrol with their synthetic.
ORIGINAL: SCCAGT

An answer for that kind of question is hard to do. Let me use this analogy. The thread about oil seperator has alot of stuff in it. Some have found less expensive ways of accomplishing the same thing. Some of those ways wont necessarily last as long, but will perform the job sufficiently well. Like the opening post says, "If you want the ***** best, here's the recipe". Using synthetic over regular oil or even a blend (which is only about 20% syn oil) is the equivilant to "***** best". You will get by just fine with Motorcraft.
I have torn down engines at my shop and have seen the difference between a true synthetic oil vs anything else. The engine is much cleaner. Very little, if any, ugly brown varnish build-up. Bearing wear, cylinder cross-hatching, etc, all look better in synthetic only engines.

I use Amsoil. And I will continue to use it in every car I own. What you use is up to you. Bet just keep in mind the "***** best" analogy.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:48 PM
MartyMoose
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: blueherd02gt

To this I'd say how many ford 3v's have you broken down? Pushrods love synthetic oils but ford OHC motors like a little petrol with their synthetic.
ORIGINAL: SCCAGT

Why do "...Ford OHC motors like a little petrol with their synthetic"? We all don't know your background (at least I don't anyway) so to me, and possibly other readers, this is little more than opinion or restating what's been said by someone else?

I don't mean to offend but perhaps you've rebuilt a lot of Ford OHC motors or are a Ford mechanic?

Thanks in advance; just tryin' ta learn something here.

edit: I used Amsoil in my sn95 andI'm considering using it in my s197.
Old 06-06-2008, 06:32 PM
gtvert06
1st Gear Member

If you are keeping the car long term, the full synthetic oil ( I prefer Mobil 1) is money well spent. It may even improve your fuel mileage.
Old 06-06-2008, 07:09 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I think I'll just go with the motorcraft for now. After the car hits about 10K I might consider going synthetic. I just wonder if it matters which brand I go with. Is Amsoil the best or is Castrol just as good. That sort of thing.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil - not this **** again