Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side effects of turning off O2 sensors for O/R pipe.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 07:56 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Side effects of turning off O2 sensors for O/R pipe.

i installed my o/r x about 6 months ago,i tried the mil elim's with no success,light did not bother me too much but i did finally get a tuner and now the light is gone,yepee!

the o/r x adds a good amount of hp for the cost of the pipes.i dynoed my stock car with no tuner or cai at the time,only mods were the o/r x and mid mufflers.272hp, a buddy of mine did his car same day,he had cai and tuner with a stock cats,he was only 8 hp more than me i think.so they are worth it imo,plus they sound awesome!!
Old 06-08-2008, 08:24 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: Blue Meanie

ORIGINAL: 2007CalSpec

ORIGINAL: davesiar

I have had my O/R Prochamber on for almost 2 years now, and have not seen the check engine light. I just bought the MIL eliminators and added them too the o2 sensors.
I was going to buy the MIL elims but I have an '07 andeveryone says they don't work for '07 & up. Gonna need a tuner to turn off the O2's.
"Everyone" is wrong in this case. I've been running MIL eliminators on my 07 with an o/r x for the last 4 months with no CEL's.
Unless you told brenspeed not to turn off the 02s, they are turned off in the tune already, so the mils are doing nothing
Old 06-08-2008, 09:07 AM
Blue Meanie
2nd Gear Member

Yes, I had Brenspeed leave the rears on for emmissions testing. In NY, we have the OBD II test where the scanner is connected to the OBD II diagnostic port. If the rears are turned off, it will show on the scanner. The rears are still on and the MILs have taken care of the problem so far.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:44 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

My question was whether the PCM can still detect if the motor is running rich or lean if the rear O2 sensors are disabled?

Also, is there anything I should be concerned about driving with an O/R midpipe through the winter?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:16 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

yes the lean and rich readings are still good and i dont think there is anything to worry about in the way of winter.
Old 06-08-2008, 10:25 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

My question was whether the PCM can still detect if the motor is running rich or lean if the rear O2 sensors are disabled?

Also, is there anything I should be concerned about driving with an O/R midpipe through the winter?
only purpose of the rear 02's is to make sure the cats are doing thier job,they have nothing to do with any sort of tuning of the car or anything at all,they just let you know when to replace the cats.rip dim b!tchs out!!
Old 06-08-2008, 01:24 PM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Blue Meanie

ORIGINAL: 2007CalSpec

ORIGINAL: davesiar

I have had my O/R Prochamber on for almost 2 years now, and have not seen the check engine light. I just bought the MIL eliminators and added them too the o2 sensors.
I was going to buy the MIL elims but I have an '07 andeveryone says they don't work for '07 & up. Gonna need a tuner to turn off the O2's.
"Everyone" is wrong in this case. I've been running MIL eliminators on my 07 with an o/r x for the last 4 months with no CEL's.
Maybe you got lucky and the MIL elims worked for you. I guess it's a hit or miss situation for '07 & up. It was Brenspeed that told me the MIL elims wouldn't work for my '07 so I've been living with the CEL on.
Old 06-08-2008, 02:28 PM
rlh6805
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: one eyed *****

only purpose of the rear 02's is to make sure the cats are doing thier job,they have nothing to do with any sort of tuning of the car or anything at all,they just let you know when to replace the cats.rip dim b!tchs out!!
100% correct. The rear O2 sensors are sometimes called CMS (catalyst monitoring sensor) sensors. The only purpose they serve is to "watch" the cats to make sure they are properly cleaning the exhaust gases. The off road pipe eliminates the cats and the rear O2's. Yes, the CEL will come on and stay on unless the rear O2's and the cats are in place.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:09 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

How does the engine determine if it's running to rich or lean then? Kinda off topic but I'm curious now.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:59 AM
rlh6805
1st Gear Member

How does the engine determine if it's running to rich or lean then? Kinda off topic but I'm curious now.
The upstream O2 sensors feedback to the PCM the oxygen content of the exhaust. This data is used by the PCM to determine how rich or lean the engine is running. Optimum air/fuel ratio (stoic) is 14.7:1.

Quick Reply: Side effects of turning off O2 sensors for O/R pipe.