Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Accuracy of the OEM PIDs/Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2008, 06:47 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

Default Accuracy of the OEM PIDs/Sensors

Anyone know how accurate the OEM PIDs/sensors (i.e., water temp, AIT off the MAF, oil pressure, etc)? I know the OEM gauges were dummied-down to basically sit in the middle of the scale, then turn red when things have already gone bad. But do the OEM sensors still communicate accurate info back to the PCM? For example, does the OEM water temp sensor transmit accurate water temp back to PCM, but the dummied-down OEM gauge won't display it. Just wondering if I invest in an OBDII Scan Gauge (like PLX DM-200, Aeroforce Interceptor, MSD Dashhawk), will these devices be able to pick up accurate water temp, AIT, etc off the OBDII/CAN ? Not sure if I will be required to install new individual sensors and controllers to be able to read/display accurate info. I'll be putting in a separate wideband O2 sensor, controller, and gauge, but was hoping I could get other PIDs off the OBDII/CAN and display those through an iMFD multi-display gauge. Thx.
Old 06-07-2008, 07:14 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Accuracy of the OEM PIDs/Sensors

it's a good question Q, i know from reading
posts about fuel pressure readings using
the interceptor, that they are quite different
from what i observe with my autometer fuel
pressure gauge.

i think the OBDII data readings are relatively
accurate, to a certain degree
Old 06-08-2008, 02:48 PM
rlh6805
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DoctorQ

Anyone know how accurate the OEM PIDs/sensors (i.e., water temp, AIT off the MAF, oil pressure, etc)? I know the OEM gauges were dummied-down to basically sit in the middle of the scale, then turn red when things have already gone bad. But do the OEM sensors still communicate accurate info back to the PCM? For example, does the OEM water temp sensor transmit accurate water temp back to PCM, but the dummied-down OEM gauge won't display it. Just wondering if I invest in an OBDII Scan Gauge (like PLX DM-200, Aeroforce Interceptor, MSD Dashhawk), will these devices be able to pick up accurate water temp, AIT, etc off the OBDII/CAN ? Not sure if I will be required to install new individual sensors and controllers to be able to read/display accurate info. I'll be putting in a separate wideband O2 sensor, controller, and gauge, but was hoping I could get other PIDs off the OBDII/CAN and display those through an iMFD multi-display gauge. Thx.
Data display PID's from an OBDII generic scan tool are of the 'filtered" variety. Yes, they are as accurate as you will need for "viewing" this information. Now, if you are acctually doing calibration work to the vehicle you will need a much more sophisticated interface tool. These cal tools link directly with the controler and read much more accurate, non filtered data.
Old 06-08-2008, 04:24 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: rlh6805

ORIGINAL: DoctorQ

Data display PID's from an OBDII generic scan tool are of the 'filtered" variety. Yes, they are as accurate as you will need for "viewing" this information. Now, if you are acctually doing calibration work to the vehicle you will need a much more sophisticated interface tool. These cal tools link directly with the controler and read much more accurate, non filtered data.

So how close is "filtered" vs "actual" data, percentage wise? For example, if my "filtered" OBDII feed water temp says 180*, is the filtering still within +/- 3% of actual water temp (175*-185*)