Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SHELBY 500 VS SUPERCHARGED GT?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:55 AM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

Default RE: SHELBY 500 VS SUPERCHARGED GT?

If he's referring to the GT supercar; the GT has an all-aluminum 5.4L while the GT500 has an iron block. That's one big difference I can think of off the top of my head, I'm sure there are others.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:03 AM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

i am not arguing with you this morning ryanralson07,if you look at the OP's subject vs what the first poster said, you will understang why i said what i said...he said a GT500 vs a supercharged GT. the first poster said that he didnt get it cause a GT500 is a supercharged mustang. i was simply stating that there is a difference in a GT500 and a S/C "MUSTANG" GT. I have not been muted and was simply helping the first poster understang what the OP was asking...

now i am ending this cause i dont feel like dealing with your petiness this morning
Old 06-09-2008, 07:45 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

OK let me weigh in here. Being one that had an 05 mustang gt with a saleen series VI Supercharger lt headers etc etc etc...ok comparison is this. If youa re asking which is greater, that depends on you. You can mod the hell out of either one. you can go further with the gt500 internals than you could with a gt. in my first few weeks here is my opinion. keep in mind I am comparing an automatic gt with all the bells and whistles inc the aforementioned supercharger headers etc to a STOCK GT500 that i just got...my opinions. take em for what its worth
my gt500 has allot more pluses.
MY gt that I modded I did not feel so bad as I was able to get it to 422rwhp and 416 torque with some other mods and upgrade for a hair over 30k inc the car purchase as I bought it used in mid 06 with 4k miles on it.
I can get over 480 rwhp and 470 torque with just a cai and tune on my gt500: However my base price was 46k so I am already in over 16k
I probably will not mod my gt500 as I am extremely happy with the power it has already. Besides the cai and tune (Which believe it or not for me its more of a look thing not the additonal 50+rwhp etc.) I will not mod my gt500 just for my own reasons etc...the potential with the gt500 though is insane. google gt500s and rwhp. youd be surprised what some people are pushing with these...but again..you are starting with a higher price tag....
to me if you are looking for the car that out of the box drives very well and has allot of power....and you can get one for msrp then get a gt500..if you are looking to mod the hell out of it and make it look like your own..get a GT...I mean you dont want to start slapping body kits etc (IMO) on a gt500...but thats just me....whatever you choose, I dont think you would be disappointed....good luck ...tj
Old 06-09-2008, 08:44 PM
mustard05
2nd Gear Member

the chef has a great point.
Old 06-09-2008, 09:20 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

Yeah, don't forget about the 5.4 L engine which has much better potential, the upgraded seats that are a hundred times superior to ours, the six speed transmission, and the steering wheel upgrade
Old 06-09-2008, 09:55 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

If you like modding and want to add the personal touch to your ride, IMHO the GT500 isn't the car to have. I don't getcaught up in the notion (fantasy) that the 500's are anything to do with Shelby and, as such, shouldn't be mutilated, but more becausethe GT500 is already a VERY nice [complete] package with the high point being the driveline. I'd go as far as to say that I'd walk a mile on broken glass if one of the 5.4L motors was waiting for me at the other end.
Although the occasional racer (with pockets deeper than his education) have done it, drastically re-engineering a GT500 to make it go faster is a blatant waste of the price differential between the GT and the GT500. If you're going to dump drastic levels of coin into a Mustang then you have to start with the GT, it'sacheaper, but essentially similar,start point. Plus you don't have to tear apart a perfectly good GT500
Old 06-10-2008, 07:54 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ok, now for part two the differences between my modded 05 gt and my stock gt500. again, these are my opinions and I am not trying to take anything away from a gt: to make it somewhat informative and not jsut a fluff piece, I will put in my mods I had on my gt etc.
2005 mustang gt premium with shaker 500 automatic : total price with upgrades $30,000
saleen series vi
3.6 pulley
new plugs, 39lb injectors, lightning 90mm maf, saleen extreme intake boot with C+L Filter; Gauges etc etc....kooks lt headers catted xpipe and frrp stingers
brake upgrade was just hawk hps pads (which I loved the few miles I drove it before I sold it with them on)
Suspension (I could have and should have done more with this, but did not, thus part of my disappointment when comparing to my gt500) Simply just new adj lcas in the rear...no lowering, nothing else...allot of potential here to have been upgraded to...
wheels: switched to the 18x9 chrome DD bullets...(Never could get these suckers to balance perfectly...between that and the 255/45/18 all around tires (Kumho, should have went better tire)
allot of body mods....but you were not looking for differences in appearance anyway so...here we go
2008 gt500 with frrp stingers....shaker 1000 stereo...ambient lighting...HID lights Interior upgrade etc: price $500 below msrp at $46,830
interior
GT500 > My modded GT
Traction
GT500> my modded gt
ride
GT500> my modded gt (in fact far superior in my opinion, again could have done more with my modded gt suspension)
POWER
gt500> my modded gt : Now the power is pretty close between what my modded gt was putting to the rear wheels and what my stock gt500 is doing. again I will remind you that I am comparing my auto modded gt to my 6 speed gt500 which in itself is not fair considering. the numbers may be similar in rwhp etc between the 2, however the gt500 is definitely getting that power to the ground more effectively than what I had with my modded gt (again, I KNOW NOT ENOUGH SUSPENSION MODS WENT INTO MY GT) but just the ride of my gt500 is far superior and the power is instant and crisp....traction is 100 times better between the 2 in my gt500...again better meat on the rears and better suspension etc...The 6 speed is a huge diff as well..I mean i used to argue for my auto...and I still like the auto for city driving etc..but going on a cruise ...the 6 speed gives you the feeling of being in control...but of course you can get that with a gt as with with a manual tranny..so that points moot...overall the power is snappier (Again with a stock tune in my gt500 compared to my modded blown gt) I love the power...freaking awesome
the ride is superior in my gt500...simply because..IMO it is...it hugs the corners with ease, it does not dive and pitch with turns as much as my gt used to...the wheel is more responsive...the flow and weight shifting of the car is just better....the seats do hug you more in the gt500 etc...the wheel feels superior etc etc
sound wise...I love the way my gt500 sounds...the supercharger is loud and whines when you want it too...add some new axelbacks as I have and it sounds beastly without being loud.....
now the gt500 does have some flaws...but what car doesnt...now I am not bashing the gt by any means...I am just simply stating my opinion...please note it is not a fair comparison in the way the OP posed the original question....If I was to do it all over again...would I got the gt first still and modded the crap out of it....probably...its fun as hell to mod the heck out of the gt and make it your own...then come on these forums and talk about what you did and show everyone and get the different opinions, like wow etc ..also its challenging to come on here and listen to those calling your vehicle poser "ish" or ricer and trying to explain why you did it...(By the way to those who said that [sm=smiley35.gif]) LOL....no as I said earlier and others have reiterated....if you are looking to mod the heck out of it and make it your own...get a gt..and have a blast.....my wife said it best...she tells me that she liked my gt better for one reason...because I was able to mod it and make it look original...my own creation....I mean you could with a shelby gt500 as well...however I choose not to..and NOT because I live in a FANTASY world and believe that because shelby talked to svt before they built this car that it will be worth allot more some day...but simply because...its where I want it to be....
also, its a car that will hold sentimental value one day for my son...now my tribute did as well...but who knows maybe my gt500 holds or retains a little $$ value down the road when we are all driving propane or corn fed vehicles as one of the last of an era...who knows....thats a political subject I choose not to get into...if you are asking for a true comparison...only you can determine which you will like better....you will get allot of people on here telling you "why waste your money on a gt500, man for less money you can blow a gt500's *** off the road...and you know what...if thats your goal..then go for it...never was mine...i mean with that mentality thats like saying if I buy an srt 4 and mod it I can blow away competition as well....you know what...someone is ALWAYS FASTER....allot of members on here built some beautiful cars....allot of members on here went out of there way to make their car their own...allot have beasts pushing over 550 rwhp and in the 11's in the 1/4...thats awesome..if that is your goal...so I ask you OP...what is YOUR desire and GOAL...once you determine that...then the car purchase will be that much easier....good luck...TJ
Old 06-10-2008, 09:41 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

I don't get it... the GT500 IS a supercharged Mustang...

Neither one goes to Shelby Automotive.
That would be the GT500KR, which blow both away!

You can generally turn any GT into a GT500 yourself for less and it should be lighter and just as fast, assuming you spent enough $$$.
first point: GT500kr....sure...you got mad cash???? 100K if you are lucky....where I bought mine the owner paid $82k for his....nice car dont get me wrong..not neccesarily going to agree IT BLOWS THEM BOTH AWAY though....by the way the kr only has 40 additional hp over the gt500....so its not about the hp...but it is allot more benjamins...if I had the money would i get a KR....prob not...go for supersnake first (ALSO FROM SHELBY)
your 2nd point...yes...somewhat...however, you can NOT turn any gt into a gt500: someone who has done a tributelike myself and anyone else who has done the conversions will agree...you can make any gt LOOK like a gt500, but it will not be a GT500....this is not arrogance talking...just stating fact.as far as making as fast....of course you can..and my grandfather is stronger than so in so .....you can always build a faster car...look at some of our members here like PLstang and chevykiller etc.....BEASTS....bottom line is the OP really does not state what he or she is looking for in comparison between the 2 so we are all speculating with our opinions...truly it will come down to WHY you want to compare the 2 and what are you comparing between the 2...anyhow...
Old 06-10-2008, 10:01 AM
CroDalmatinac
4th Gear Member

It's amazing how people defend what they have to an extreme point.

A supercharged GT would be faster than a stock GT500. I would just get a GT and build it into my own car.

my 2 cents.
Old 06-10-2008, 10:21 AM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: CroDalmatinac

It's amazing how people defend what they have to an extreme point.

A supercharged GT would be faster than a stock GT500. I would just get a GT and build it into my own car.

my 2 cents.
who is defending what they have? I see people answering the posters, albeit somewhat vague, question...I and others agree with what you just said..if you are wanting to get a car and buid it for speed then start with the cheaper platform etc and build away...I dont see anyone being extreme one way or another here...but hey thats just me

Quick Reply: SHELBY 500 VS SUPERCHARGED GT?