Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed the Stang and wasn't in it....pic added

Old 06-08-2008, 11:21 PM
armour845
2nd Gear Member

Default Crashed the Stang and wasn't in it....pic added

Well I haven't been on here in awhile, just moved to New Mexico. Here's how it going so far.

I'm going to attempt to make this story short, but all the details must be said to get the whole horrible day in one post.

To start, my wife calls me to tell me her car (Maxima) has smoke coming out of the dash and all of her gauges, signal lights, a/c aren't working. So I schedule an appointment at the closest dealership for a diagnostic. The closest Nissan is 60 miles away, so I get off work to meet her at home prior to the appointment.

When I get home I pull the Stang into the garage and she pulls in behind me, I run into the house to get the address of the dealership to plug into the Garmin. Meanwhile the baby is upset because it is hot as hell here, and the a/c isn't working, so she drives around the block to cool him off. I get the address and as I was walking out of the house I hear a loud crash.

When I get outside neither car is in the driveway. After realizing what happened, I see the Mustang crashed agaist my neighbors RV across the street. Apparently I left the car in neutral and it rolled out of the garage, down the driveway, which is steep. I then throw my keys into the ground, breaking my key fob, and thumb drive into a million pieces.

The Mustang has fairly extensive damage to the rear. The bumper cover is done, right tail light broken and smashed into the trunk, the trunk lid bent upward, the quarter panel is creased in two spots, one just to the right of the rear window, and the other is creased outward at the centerline of the right rear wheel, and the rear sheetmetal to the right of the trunk lid is smashed in also.

We get the Nissan to the dealer for the diagnostic to find out the warranty is not going to cover the problem. Turns out a penny found its way behind the dash, and into the control module that controls all of the electronics. I kid you not, the control module has a slot on the top of it, that looks exactly like a piggy bank. The penny got into the circuit card and shorted the solid state electronics.

So to make a long story short, a freaking penny is directly responsible for all of this damage. $500 deductible for the Mustang, and $500 for the control module and labor.

Shortly after, we're driving the loaner Dodge Neon and I lock the keys in the car, I guess bad luck comes in three's, so we should be good for a while.

Hopefully I can get some cool replacement parts while the Stang is in for repair, so maybe I can at least get a GT/CS bumper cover and a different spoiler out of the deal. Wish me luck, I damn sure need it.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:34 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Crashed the Stang and wasn't in it....

wow man sorry to hear that, hope everythign works out....but u ddeff need to post some pictures!!
Old 06-08-2008, 11:45 PM
HotBlue05

Ouch...sorry!
Old 06-09-2008, 02:13 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

wow!
I was warned about you New Mexico drivers, but thought it was just a stereotype!JK!

Slow down, take a deep breath and learn everything there is to learn from this lesson. And just be thankful nobody got hurt!
Old 06-09-2008, 04:40 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Isn't it great when life shows up from time to timeandrepeatedly kicks youin the f#cking sack...[:@]
Old 06-09-2008, 05:04 AM
blkgt500
1st Gear Member

wow thats really suck, good thing i got a habit of engaging the e-brake evertime i turn off my car =/
Old 06-09-2008, 06:31 AM
SumterBoy
2nd Gear Member

Do you got any pics of your car.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:33 AM
Hicompression
2nd Gear Member

Whereabouts do you live in New Mexico. I used to live in Socorro...
Old 06-09-2008, 07:39 AM
torque_is_good
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Crashed the Stang and wasn't in i

My son was sitting in mine and left it in neutral w/o parking brake set. I look out the front window later in the day and said "hey, there's a car like mine on the neighbors lawn"

needless to say you know who's car it really was.........
Old 06-09-2008, 07:45 AM
NJBLK07GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Crashed the Stang and wasn'

First thing I was taught before even driving a manual..... Always use the e-brake and leave it in gear when parked! I'm not saying this to be a dick..... just a litttle FYI for all the new owners who have manuals and a reminder for the rest of us.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Crashed the Stang and wasn't in it....pic added