Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

a/c not working

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 06:38 PM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: a/c not working

fyi- ac systems never "need" a recharge. Its a closed system that shoudl never leak out under any conditions.. If you need a 'recharge' you have a leak. Simple as that. It will rear its ugle head again..

ORIGINAL: swata

When I got mine it needed a re-charge... You would think a new ride would be good to go. They should be able to get you handled at the dealer.. +1
Old 06-09-2008, 07:44 PM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

I just found out the same thing this afternoon.
I can hear the compressor kicking in every few seconds but the air coming out was hot for about a half hour then
it started to get just a little cool.

It seems strange that the compressor is only engaging for 2 or 3 seconds at a time. It's probably screwed...
Has anyone else noticed the compressor doing this?

Old 06-09-2008, 09:27 PM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

a compressor 'short cycle' like this could mean low on refrigerant or a pressure switch is bad

ORIGINAL: doctorstrobe

I just found out the same thing this afternoon.
I can hear the compressor kicking in every few seconds but the air coming out was hot for about a half hour then
it started to get just a little cool.

It seems strange that the compressor is only engaging for 2 or 3 seconds at a time. It's probably screwed...
Has anyone else noticed the compressor doing this?

Old 06-10-2008, 05:03 AM
redfireshaker06
4th Gear Member

Mine would short cycle, but now it doesn't seem to do it. I dunno what fixed it lol
Old 06-10-2008, 05:44 AM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

possibly an ecm control issue or a pressure switch that may have corrected itself. ??

ORIGINAL: redfireshaker06

Mine would short cycle, but now it doesn't seem to do it. I dunno what fixed it lol
Old 06-10-2008, 08:13 AM
svfetter
2nd Gear Member

In response to topbliss,

I would respectfully disagree with your comment about never needing a recharge in a new vehicle. I have an 07 Roush that had marginal cooling ever since new. I have maintained my Ford systems on many different cars over 40 years. More than one tech has told me that it is not uncommon for a new system to leak a little refrigerant until all the seals and o-rings seat. I don' t believe that was the case with the individual who first posted with no cold air at all.

In my case, I topped mine off with a 3 oz can and it made a substantial difference in cooling. Bottom line is every system is different. With no Cold Air at all I would agree with advise to have dealer check out.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:24 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Is there a Factory specified temp the A/C air should be reading at the vents? Mine does not feel as cold as I think it should be ...
Old 06-10-2008, 10:37 AM
topbliss
2nd Gear Member

I agree withyou that some new vehicles DO get delivered with a low charge. Its not becaue the seals need time to seal. Thats simply not true. Do new engine leak until the seals seat? NO..I have seen quite a few new cars with low chanrges that I think the factory does to save a few cents. Seen Toyotas, Ford, Chryslers.. all of em.. I believe this poster that I commented on was talking about a 3 year old car. Not a new factory delivered.. That what I was refering to..

ORIGINAL: svfetter

In response to topbliss,

I would respectfully disagree with your comment about never needing a recharge in a new vehicle. I have an 07 Roush that had marginal cooling ever since new. I have maintained my Ford systems on many different cars over 40 years. More than one tech has told me that it is not uncommon for a new system to leak a little refrigerant until all the seals and o-rings seat. I don' t believe that was the case with the individual who first posted with no cold air at all.

In my case, I topped mine off with a 3 oz can and it made a substantial difference in cooling. Bottom line is every system is different. With no Cold Air at all I would agree with advise to have dealer check out.
Old 06-10-2008, 12:09 PM
svfetter
2nd Gear Member

Point Taken about the low charge from the factory. I am sure that is probably true. Just a small amount of refrigerant saved on a few hundred thousand cars would make a big difference on the bottom line. That was probably the case with my 07.
Old 06-10-2008, 09:45 PM
mortman
3rd Gear Member

Mine has been in twice, once before i owned it, and a month after i purchased it. They have repaced everthimg but the pump. still not as i think it should be though!

Quick Reply: a/c not working