Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Forced to sell 'Stang - change back to OE??

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2008, 08:01 PM
Nixtang
1st Gear Member

Default Forced to sell 'Stang - change back to OE??

Hey guys,

Due toour anticipated 1st addition to the family, I am forced to put my car up for sale.I don't have too many mods (all in my sig), but I feel that if I trade-in the car, it wouldn't matter if it was stock or not - I'd still get the same value for it.

Here's my question - do I spend the $250 to put the stock gears back, spend the time reinstalling the factory springs, exhaust and headlights and sell the programmer, springs, wheels/tires and Saleen HID's, or do I leave "as-is" and put it in the Autotrader?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick
Old 06-09-2008, 08:05 PM
odiaz
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Forced to sell 'Stang - change back to OE??

If you are trading it in, the dealers usually prefer a stock car so they can "deal4r certify" it and offer the dealer warrranty. Aftermarket products are not covered by the manufacturer's warranty. The good side of it is that you can seel your aftermarket parts and get some more money back.

You may want to try selling it on your own. You might get more then the dealer is pffering you from someone who can appreciate the mods you've made. If there are any local car meets in your area, you may want to try taking your car to a meet and putting a for sale sign on it. Just make sure it is immaculate first. Forget about Ebay, ther are too many mustangs for sale on there and you won't get a good price. it's a buyer's market now.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:09 PM
pat123
3rd Gear Member

If you are going to sell the parts and make some extra money then I would do it; if not I would not waste your time.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:18 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I may be able to take them HID's off your hands.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:20 PM
vack75
3rd Gear Member

First of all congrats on the new addition............about 6 months ago I got the same news from my wife. I too got all nervous, and thought "well there goes my car" I even looked into trading it on a Jeep. However, time allowed me to figure a few things out. Maybe you won't be able to but give it some time and think about it and really look at things, you may be able to keep it.

Whatever you decide good luck, and dealer's will never give you what it is worth, I'd take another poster's advice and sell outright, before I gave it to a dealer just so they can tell the next owner how great your car is and how much all the mods they didn't pay you for are worth and sell it for alot more then they gave you for it.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:45 PM
Nixtang
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: vack75

First of all congrats on the new addition............about 6 months ago I got the same news from my wife. I too got all nervous, and thought "well there goes my car" I even looked into trading it on a Jeep. However, time allowed me to figure a few things out. Maybe you won't be able to but give it some time and think about it and really look at things, you may be able to keep it.

Whatever you decide good luck, and dealer's will never give you what it is worth, I'd take another poster's advice and sell outright, before I gave it to a dealer just so they can tell the next owner how great your car is and how much all the mods they didn't pay you for are worth and sell it for alot more then they gave you for it.
Thanks for the wishes, man. Unfortunately, the sale of the car has to happen. My other vehicle is a 4 door truck, so it would only make sense for me to sell the Mustang.

My intention is to put it on the market myself. However, I'm concerned that the amount I get for the car won't be eqivalent to the trade-in plus tax credit. Edmunds tells me that the trade-in value is about $17,500, but the private party value is $18,800. Even if I sold it for $18,800, I'm losing almost $1,000 in tax credit savings - meaning that I would need at least $19,800 on the open market to equal the trade-in deal.

We'll see, though - I'll probably post it up for sale in July for $20k "as-is" and see what happens...

Nick
Old 06-09-2008, 09:07 PM
cefiro80
2nd Gear Member

I think the 250 is worth it. People get nervous with mods especially gears and more intense mods of that nature.