Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new challenger srt8 vs mustang bullitt

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 12:13 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

Default new challenger srt8 vs mustang bullitt

ok, just got the new car and driver and they compared the new challenger srt8 with a mustang bullitt...honestly the challenger is an awesome looking car, but what is up with the poor performance? the 0-60 times the mustang is off by .2 seconds and is slower on the 1/4 by .3 seconds and 4 mph...honestly you cant EXPECT the mustang to beat it, but you should expect the challenger to be faster than that? or maybe the mustang is just that much better...the challenger should smoke it since it HAS 110 MORE HORSEPOWER THAN THE MUSTANG!?! AND 95 MORE LB-FT. i just think this test shows how much the mustang really is an awesome car, all around and for the money...the challenger also costs about9 grand more (plus dealer surcharge) and for about $700 for tuner and cai, the mustang would easily beat the challenger

the lb/hp for the challenger is 9.9 while the mustang's is 11.2...the mustang is only 600 lbs lighter than the challenger...the challenger is also an auto while the mustang tested was a 5 speed

just remember the challenger is a 6.1L hemi (for what thats worth) and the mustang is only a 4.6L...i just think people underestimate the mustang greatly...especially since the challenger r/t with 5.7L will in no way be able to keep up with even a normal GT prob, so whats the big deal?
Old 06-10-2008, 12:21 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: new challenger srt8 vs mustang bullitt

Whats the big deal? Well put it this way... Why do you have a mustang and not a Mitsu Evo? ( Besides the obvious Rice factor )... well because you like the looks and sound of the mustang... A lot of people love their Hemi's.. and will only buy Mopar, just like I am sure there is a lot of us on here that would take a Ford over a Mopar anyday.... They may not perform as well in the books, but the seat of pants dyno for the people that love that Challenger will tell them there is nothing better than their 6.1L Hemi... It's all on what you like bro, why do you think the ricers drive ugly @$$ CRX's? because to them they're fast... meh /off ramble haha, but you get the point
Old 06-10-2008, 12:24 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

o no i completely understang that part, i think its a sick looking car and prob sounds amazing and feels good...guess i worded it wrong, because i was just referring to dodge's part (or mopar or street racing tech) about why its not being any faster than that? i had a dodge ram with the 5.7 and it was fast, for a truck anyways...but im just confused on why these two cars are so close on the numbers with the challenger's hp is +110 over the bullitt? is this a plus on ford's part, or a big minus on dodge's?
Old 06-10-2008, 12:31 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Personally I would say a big minus on Dodges part... probably something to do with the tune.. maybe suspension? Who knows if he was spinnin em' like crazy off the line in that test... could be many things, but I would think with a 6.1L Hemi they shoulda done a lot better than that... I imagine with that car if you did a bit of suspension work with some DR's, you'd be well into the 12's...
Old 06-10-2008, 12:32 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

yea the 1/4 was 13.3 at 108 for the challenger
Old 06-10-2008, 12:34 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

Yea for a 6.1L that's nasty... I dunno though 600 pounds is a nice chunk of weight to add on .... Got me man, sounds wrong though... It should definitely be pullin' harder....
Old 06-10-2008, 12:36 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

well im just reading straight from the car and driver article, and yea 600 lbs is a lot, but the lb/hp ratio is still in the dodge's favor
Old 06-10-2008, 12:37 PM
xxDerek
3rd Gear Member

No I meant that the time they pulled out just sounds way wrong... I would have thought it would have done better....
Old 06-10-2008, 12:42 PM
mac10chap
4th Gear Member

it could be in the gearing of the automatics too...i know that vipers dont have quite the performance of a new c6 ZO6 but i have talked to a few viper owners who have swapped out their stock gears for a smaller gear ratio and can now beat zo6's...just a thought
Old 06-10-2008, 12:42 PM
tn_gt
3rd Gear Member

totally, but also that is only car and driver...i guess we'll see when they start showing up in showrooms

Quick Reply: new challenger srt8 vs mustang bullitt