MustangForums.com

MustangForums.com (https://mustangforums.com/forum/index.php)
-   2005-2014 Mustangs (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs-43/)
-   -   Slotted, Cross-drilled, or Slotted Cross-drilled? (https://mustangforums.com/forum/2005-2014-mustangs/452575-slotted-cross-drilled-or-slotted-cross-drilled.html)

Sweet 06 06-11-2008 06:57 AM

Slotted, Cross-drilled, or Slotted Cross-drilled?

Hey Guys and Gals,

I am looking to upgrade my brakes on my 06 GT. Which roters are the best and why?

Jeff

one eyed willy 06-11-2008 07:18 AM

RE: Slotted, Cross-drilled, or Slotted Cross-drilled?

you wont feel the difference with either one,if you want to really do a mild upgrade then you need to switch pads.slotted/crossdrilled are really for looks on a street car. i have the slotted and crossdrilled ,they look nice and i upgraded to a set of hawk pads for the front.

http://i172.photobucket.com/albums/w...c/6-1-8003.jpg

Argonaut 06-11-2008 07:20 AM

Looking to upgrade braking performance? Or - looking to upgrade the "look" of the rotors? Two very different things.

Slots and holes in rotorsare controversial subjects that some people seem to be a bit too passionate about. None the less, if you study up on the subject (the white papers on the stoptech.com site are a good place to start) you will learn that cross drilling rotors is for looks only. In high performance applications, i.e. racing, the holes can cause the rotors to crack. Slots - the jury is somewhat out on their use for racing. They don't seem to cause issues but don't help either (at least with modern brake pads).

For street use - its up to you, choose based on the look you like. For racing use - smooth or slotted are the only choices.

But note - changing your rotors is going to do little for braking performance (if thats what you are looking for) in all but the most extreme usage and even then you'd need very high end two-piece rotors to make a difference (lighter weight, better thermal properties)

MELLOWYELLOW06 06-11-2008 10:23 AM

call Vic @ www.brakedesigns.com

best price over anyone else
use same centric rotors

rad_rob 06-11-2008 11:10 AM

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

Looking to upgrade braking performance? Or - looking to upgrade the "look" of the rotors? Two very different things.

Slots and holes in rotorsare controversial subjects that some people seem to be a bit too passionate about. None the less, if you study up on the subject (the white papers on the stoptech.com site are a good place to start) you will learn that cross drilling rotors is for looks only. In high performance applications, i.e. racing, the holes can cause the rotors to crack. Slots - the jury is somewhat out on their use for racing. They don't seem to cause issues but don't help either (at least with modern brake pads).

For street use - its up to you, choose based on the look you like. For racing use - smooth or slotted are the only choices.

But note - changing your rotors is going to do little for braking performance (if thats what you are looking for) in all but the most extreme usage and even then you'd need very high end two-piece rotors to make a difference (lighter weight, better thermal properties)
Very well said. The "cross drilled" rotors were originally designed for use when asbestos was found in brake pads. The holes were to allow gases to escape that build up between the rotor and the pad itself. They actually use to be functional. Now that brake pads no longer contain asbestos, the holes are merely for looks...as previously stated. If you are hard on brakes, steer away from these rotors.

Cal26Stang 06-11-2008 11:43 AM

Actually, the oem rotors perform better than most aftermarket rotors, including decela rotors which look really good....but don't out shine stock rotors

Philostang 06-11-2008 01:39 PM

I'm in one of those moods to comment, so here goes.

Argonaut and co. are right, but that's the real rub.

I mean, Argonaut's comments express the general consensus regarding rotors among people who know even a little bit about rotor performance. So there you go: if you have those cross-drilled or drilled/slotted rotors on your car, everyone who knows about brake performance is going to know either you're doing it for looks or because your ignorant. That is, you are advertising (LOUDLY) to those in the know that you are about "the look" or about being ill or misinformed. What's really bad is acting like a poser and thinking those cross-drilled rotors help your braking performance.

So if you are in it for the looks, do as one eyed willy does and just come clean: "they look nice." Nothing wrong with looking nice. :)

BTW, I've heard the same thing Cal26Stang said about the quality of the OEM rotors. I've abused mine with a half-dozen open track events (a couple of which were with Hawk Blue pads, but those were on a different/dedicated set of OEM rotors), and I've been impressed with the amount of abuse they can take.

Best,
-j

vf96 06-11-2008 06:28 PM

I have a set of Baer Decel A Rotors on my Baby. Drilled & Slotted. Mainly for looks but a good choice. They seem to perform better than my oems. Kinda pricey but they have a 3 yr. warrenty. Going with a full set of 2 piston calipers in July. We are reserching at this time.

Stangula 06-11-2008 07:33 PM

oem brakes seems to out perform oem rubber anyways imobut drilled and slotted looks sexy

Sweet 06 06-11-2008 08:33 PM

Wow, thanks everyone for the great info and input. I could care less about looks, I want performance. So I take it I should focus on Great pads of multi piston calipers? I plan to build this and I want to go twisty and fast and want something to stop me when I get in over my head.