Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Positraction / Traction-Lok / Whatever, How Do I Know?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2005, 12:22 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

Default Positraction / Traction-Lok / Whatever, How Do I Know?

I've been searching the forums trying to find out if my car has the positraction installed or not. I was ordering the gear and I realized I just wasn't quite sure.

I have read that ALL GT's have this installed, and that some V6's have it as well, but how do I know? I guess I could drive my car into my yard and hit the gas, and take a look to see how many tire marks there were, but that's not good for my car or my lawn.

I have the TCS and ABS systems. My car is also an Automatic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-29-2005, 02:28 PM
StupidTodd
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Positraction / Traction-Lok / Whatever, How Do I Know?

Anyone?

Yesterday (without really thinking) I ordered the T-lok system. Something was messed up in the transaction, and it ended up being cancelled.

Anyhow, between then and now, I'd done some research, and it seems that I may already have positraction. It would be stupid to spend the money on the gear if I already have it, but if I do not, I wanted to get it ordered befor the site's shop closed today.
Old 04-29-2005, 04:08 PM
sam_abuelsamid

Default RE: Positraction / Traction-Lok / Whatever, How Do I Know?

ORIGINAL: StupidTodd

I've been searching the forums trying to find out if my car has the positraction installed or not. I was ordering the gear and I realized I just wasn't quite sure.

I have read that ALL GT's have this installed, and that some V6's have it as well, but how do I know? I guess I could drive my car into my yard and hit the gas, and take a look to see how many tire marks there were, but that's not good for my car or my lawn.

I have the TCS and ABS systems. My car is also an Automatic.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Yes! All 2005 mustangs (v6 and v8) have a limited slip differential. The problem is that the diff they use pretty useless, so some people seem to think they don't have one even though they do. Since you have the tc I wouldn't worry about the diff anyway since it provides the functionality of a limited slip (among other things) anyway. The TC is much more effective than the limited slip. If you go to this link and click on Manufacturers specs you will find the full specs of the mustang. See page 12 for the rear axle specs. 2005 Mustang Manufacturers Specifications Even if you didn't already have it, it would be a waste of money to get it. If you absolutely must have some other lsd get a torsen or quaife.