Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shaker 500 and iPod

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 09:20 PM
BuckSizemore

Default Shaker 500 and iPod

I have a 2005 Mustang with the Shaker 500 sound system. Nice Bose speakers and it sounds great. However, most of my music is on an iPod and I am getting tired of listening thru an FM transmit hookup. I hate to lose the Shaker, but if I do, I would like a receiver that would a) Control an iPod and b.) provide enough power to drive the speaker system. So my question:

1) Has anyone come up with an adapter to make the Shaker 500 system accept an Aux input such as an iPod?

2.) If not, can anybody recommend a unit to replace it that will control an iPod and maybe even provide me with bluetooth although that is not a requirement.

I have heard installation could be a problem, so any thoughts here would also be appreciated! Thanks, and keep on rockin'!
Old 06-12-2008, 09:24 PM
cdawg
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Shaker 500 and iPod

Bought one of these about a month ago. Easy to hook up, sounds great.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:24 AM
ndgoalie35
2nd Gear Member

look in your center console
Old 06-13-2008, 02:53 AM
baker 46
1st Gear Member

05's don't have the aux input only the 07-08's have it...

[sm=dontgetit.gif]

I looked in my center console and found 3 bullets,a gas receipt, andtheIpod headphones I've been lookin for.

Old 06-13-2008, 06:53 AM
vicmeldrew
1st Gear Member

i put this in my car a year ago with no problems:

http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=1027

i had the peripheral prior to this and it was decertified and discountcar stereo gave me a refund and i bought the PIE - i only use the ipod and with this you can control through the stock radio.

give it a try and good luck.

by the way - i know there is a pie in post 2 above but it is a diff model number and during my research i found the only one that works reliable with the shaker is this model number - costs a bit more but it works.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:23 AM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

This is the AUX input I use on my '06 Shaker 500. Much like the PIE FRD004, the first version of the Peripheral input (ISFD71) caused severe computer control problems with the Mustangs (and were decertified as stated by vicmeldrew). The new versions (ISFD73, linked here) as well as the new versions of the PIE input have proper firmware to keep you up and running properly.

The Peripheral unit will charge your iPod, and transfer all control to the radio. The linked kit also comes with an RCA/mini stereo connection if you'd like to be able to plug in other devices, or control the iPod from the iPod itself. There is also a second AUX input on the Peripheral unit if you want to connect a Satellite/HD Radio. I don't know about the PIE unit, but I know they make a version with just a mini stereo jack, so you have to control the iPod from itself. It seems that second link to the PIE has a cable for the iPod, and claims you can control from the Radio or the iPod.
Old 06-14-2008, 02:20 PM
DADZRYD
1st Gear Member

This is good to know, was wondering the same thing...Thanks for the links...
Old 06-14-2008, 03:36 PM
cdawg
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Kotobuki

This is the AUX input I use on my '06 Shaker 500. Much like the PIE FRD004, the first version of the Peripheral input (ISFD71) caused severe computer control problems with the Mustangs (and were decertified as stated by vicmeldrew). The new versions (ISFD73, linked here) as well as the new versions of the PIE input have proper firmware to keep you up and running properly.

The Peripheral unit will charge your iPod, and transfer all control to the radio. The linked kit also comes with an RCA/mini stereo connection if you'd like to be able to plug in other devices, or control the iPod from the iPod itself. There is also a second AUX input on the Peripheral unit if you want to connect a Satellite/HD Radio. I don't know about the PIE unit, but I know they make a version with just a mini stereo jack, so you have to control the iPod from itself. It seems that second link to the PIE has a cable for the iPod, and claims you can control from the Radio or the iPod.
Severe computer control problems? In the stereo or in the car? I don't have an ipod hooked up at the moment, using the rca plugs for a Sirius satellite radio, haven't had any problems. Am I going to hurt my Shaker or my car by leaving hooked up?
Old 06-14-2008, 10:47 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

cdawg, most all of the first generation AUX inputs caused the computer to report errors. The dash would give oil pressure errors, the TCS would not function, A/C would become disabled, headlamps and turn signals would not operate. Those kinds of troubles. Oh, and I think the radio wouldn't work either.

The most recent versions, like the ISFD73 and the newer builds of the PIE FRD004 work correctly, and have no issues with the computer controls. As long as (for these two units) you stay away from Peripheral ISFD71 (I don't know if they even still manufacture that unit) and the very early PID FRD004s, you'll be golden.
Old 06-14-2008, 11:00 PM
TJMJoe
2nd Gear Member

When did the ol plug into the lighter things go out of style??

Quick Reply: Shaker 500 and iPod