Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MATTE Black Stripes installed with pics on third page!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 07:00 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Installing vinyl stripes tommroow..any tips?

Honestly when putting on my matte black stripes i found that using distilled water instead of the soap/water mixture gave me much better results. The soap solution seemed to leave a bunch of bubbles all over the place that no matter how many times i tried to squegee, just couldnt get them all. My advice is to wet the car with the distilled water(using a spray bottle for even distribution) then peel the backing off the vinyl and spray the sticky side of the vinyl with the water as well. Have someone help you lay out the vinyl accross the car, the water will give you some wiggle room to move the vinyl around but not alot so try to get it as close to where you want it when you lay it down. Also get a vinyl tape measure so you can check the stripes eveness and make sure they are not crooked. Once you have the stripe layed down where you want it, let it sit a minute then spray over the whole top of the stripe with the water and squegee the whole thing(do this several times to be sure all bubbles are out) Also when using the squegee make sure to put a piece of vinyl around the edge of it so that you do not scratch your new stripes all up. To get out minor scratches when you are done, you might want to ice the car or get some auto vinyl wax.
Hope i helped.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:47 PM
Wildpig51
2nd Gear Member

Use a blowdryer on the bumpers..
Old 06-13-2008, 07:52 PM
Mudflap
5th Gear Member

Just go slowly as others have said. To find the center, use a measuring tape and stick a little slice of masking tape right on center, then move up a few inches and do the same again, etc. That should give you a straight enough line to work with...
Old 06-13-2008, 08:26 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

Thanks, everyone. You guys are helping me big time!

ORIGINAL: ReaperGT

Honestly when putting on my matte black stripes i found that using distilled water instead of the soap/water mixture gave me much better results. The soap solution seemed to leave a bunch of bubbles all over the place that no matter how many times i tried to squegee, just couldnt get them all. My advice is to wet the car with the distilled water(using a spray bottle for even distribution) then peel the backing off the vinyl and spray the sticky side of the vinyl with the water as well. Have someone help you lay out the vinyl accross the car, the water will give you some wiggle room to move the vinyl around but not alot so try to get it as close to where you want it when you lay it down. Also get a vinyl tape measure so you can check the stripes eveness and make sure they are not crooked. Once you have the stripe layed down where you want it, let it sit a minute then spray over the whole top of the stripe with the water and squegee the whole thing(do this several times to be sure all bubbles are out) Also when using the squegee make sure to put a piece of vinyl around the edge of it so that you do not scratch your new stripes all up. To get out minor scratches when you are done, you might want to ice the car or get some auto vinyl wax.
Hope i helped.
question, do i put the matte black side of the vinyl on the quegee..im a little confused here
Old 06-13-2008, 08:34 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

i finished taping the front of the car, the hood, and the roof today, i got the trunk, spoiler and rear bumper to still do, here are some pics...

Old 06-13-2008, 08:37 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

so that didn't work.

so here it is.

[IMG]local://upfiles/47536/64EEC966A57D4349B7881AA96B0B4B17.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-13-2008, 08:57 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

Ha, sorry i confused you. Yeah you want the matte black part of the vinyl facing outward so that when you squegee the bubbles out, you are rubbing vinyl on vinyl.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:01 PM
PennState
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ReaperGT

Ha, sorry i confused you. Yeah you want the matte black part of the vinyl facing outward so that when you squegee the bubbles out, you are rubbing vinyl on vinyl.
thanks a lot man.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Looks good and straight from here. Looking forward to seeing it with the stripes on it.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:17 PM
ReaperGT
4th Gear Member

No problem bro. Good luck with the install, let me know how it goes. Just take your time with it, and take breaks after you finish each section. And for the edges of your car, hair dryers do help so that you can wrap the vinyl around the edge( ex. the end of your hood) Just apply a little heat, not to much and pull tight as you wrap the vinyl on the curve. Cutting a line down the middle of the vinyl helps it flex and contour better without bunching or creasing. Let me know if you have any more questions.

Quick Reply: MATTE Black Stripes installed with pics on third page!!!