Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chin spoiler ripped right off!! Opinions needed.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2008, 02:29 PM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

Default Chin spoiler ripped right off!! Opinions needed.

Well, Ihad a bad feelingthis was going to happen eventually but I didn't expect it to right in my own driveway! Today is beautiful outside so I decide to take my stang to work this morning. It has rained here every other day for the last couple weeks so the 1/4 mile of gravel road that runs in front of my house is pretty washed out meaning that it has left a nice trench between my driveway and the actual road. Normally I take it very slow getting out and I will hear slight rubbing but nothing major. Well I guess the last rain really deepened the trench because when I backed the car onto the road I heard a little more rubbing than usual. Once I was on the road I got out quick to check the front end and saw that my chin spoiler was gone! When I turned around back towards the driveway, there it was laying. What a dissapointment!! So here is my question....

It is repairable. Luckily the bumper didn't crack or anything but I am worried about this happening again. Should I just buy another bumper, most likely a new take off, and put a shorter chin spoiler on the front or wouldn't this help me out any? I would say the front of my car is sitting a few inches off the ground with the current chin spoiler. To give you an idea, I can't even go over speed bumps with it. How low does any of your cars with chin spoilers sit in the front? Any clearance issues? And no, my car is not lowered.

Old 06-13-2008, 02:32 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Chin spoiler ripped right off!! Opinions needed.

what chin spoiler do you have?

I have the cdc and its not coming off unless I take the screws off or rip it off.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:38 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Sorry to hear about that. My spoiler does ok even with the car lowered, but the spoiler doesn't sit much lower than stock. The one you have looks real nice, but if you're having problems, then maybe you should get one that's a littleshorter.
Old 06-13-2008, 02:40 PM
A_Drunken_Llama
3rd Gear Member

but look at his chin spoiler man... that's really low for a non lowered car... if you're really worried I guess getting a slightly smaller one would be the best
Old 06-13-2008, 02:41 PM
exx1976
5th Gear Member

I have the Cervini's Type II, stock ride height, and I have no clearance issues in the front.. Now, on the side exhaust, that's a different story...
Old 06-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Kotobuki
3rd Gear Member

Honestly, if you're considering going the new bumper route and are concerned with ground clearance, I would consider the GT/CS bumper. It's got a much more aggressive feel than stock, but I don't know that it's much (if any) lower hanging.

Then again, I personally lean a bit more toward the subdued, and hence think the CS package is generally some of the nicest kit you can get.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:03 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

I've had my CDC classic for months now with zero problems, but then again I'm at stock ride height.

I'm honestly having a hard time telling if you're lowered or if your chin spoiler is just sitting low. That's the beauty of these ching spoilers, they make the car appear lower to the ground even if it isn't. My coworkers have even commented on it.

The CDC classic has little or no issues on my car, I can still park with my front hanging over the curb. In fact, it's just barely lower than the stock bumper, there is almost no difference in ground clearence. I highly recommend one.

I think a takeoff bumper and CDC chin spoiler are the best route to go. I like mine in the black, but on your car, I'd definitely order a painted to match chin spoiler.
Old 06-13-2008, 03:24 PM
abrush
3rd Gear Member

s2k - My chin spoiler was on the bumper when I bought it off ebay. After close examination I found the brand to be Razzi and it does not screw on to the bumper. It is held on by silicone of some sort. It is hard to tell what it is exactly by looking at it. If it would have been screwed on I think my front bumper would have been toast!

Kotobuki- I have actuallyconsidered the GT/CS bumper. I like the look a lot better than the stock one but then again I love the looks of the chin spoiler so I am leaning towards that route.

wmtheflash- My car is not lowered although I plan to put Roush springs on the rear to make it sit a little more even with the front. I will have to check out the CDC classic because that is pretty impressive that you can park over a curb without hitting. I could only dream of that with the chin spoiler I have now!
Old 06-13-2008, 04:02 PM
smokestang
3rd Gear Member

I have a CDC classic and not loweredand i sure as hell cant park my bumper over a curb! that would have to be one tiny curb( maybe a small parking lot curb? ) the cdc classic lowers the bumper by like 2-1/2 inches..so it will be lower than stock,just so you know!
Old 06-13-2008, 07:44 PM
Wildpig51
2nd Gear Member

I have the CDC classic to and have never had a problem. But it won't clear a parking block You just have to be carefull when parking. Plus I don't think I could get it off if I wanted to.....lol

Quick Reply: Chin spoiler ripped right off!! Opinions needed.