Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas Tank..doing it again.. Update.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 05:56 PM
MirandaRae
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Gas Tank..doing it again

I just know what ford told me.. they said there is a sensor that regulates flow and build up of fumes in the tank and the only way to fix it is to replace the entire fuel tank since they are connected.. its kind of a pain in the ***..

I know others have had there fuel tanks replaced..but I know know if there are others like me that are having it happen again once the fix has been done.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:28 PM
MirandaRae
2nd Gear Member

so I took it into ford today and they said that some how fuel got into the charcoal filter and was causing the problem.. I wonder how that happened..anyone have any ideas?
Old 06-16-2008, 07:15 PM
xtoolmaker
1st Gear Member

If you pump more fuel after the nozzle clicks off [topping off] it can cause raw fuel to get in the charcoal canister.So said Pat Goss on the motor week tv show.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:37 PM
marlinspike

What is the supposed cause of this? My 1985 hot-rodded Mercedes that I've had since new started doing this about4 years ago, but only at certain gas stations. I just figured blame the gas station.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:37 PM
MirandaRae
2nd Gear Member

see..that was the problem since it kept clicking off when the tank still had about a quarter tank of room in it.. catch 22 I guess... but at least I didnt have to pay for it..and I got a quarter tank of gas put in it.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Torque07
1st Gear Member

That is correct. I'm a professional auto tech and if you keep trying to put more fuel in after thetank is full it will enter the evap system and cause problems. However if you don't do this and still get liquid fuel in theevap system there could be a faulty component. And it maybe part of the fuel tank. Which could explain why they replaced it.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:18 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: Torque07

That is correct. I'm a professional auto tech and if you keep trying to put more fuel in after thetank is full it will enter the evap system and cause problems. However if you don't do this and still get liquid fuel in theevap system there could be a faulty component. And it maybe part of the fuel tank. Which could explain why they replaced it.
The fuel vaporvent on the passengers side that goes to
the EVAP charcoal canister was physically too low on the tank
on some of the 1st 05 models.
Thats the source of the fuel tank TSB.
The clicking off during refueling was just a by-product
of the vent being too low on the fuel tank.
They still click off at 3/4 or so full not because of the
fuel vapor vent location but because of the saddle bag
style fuel tank.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:20 PM
bronxbomba63
4th Gear Member

I've had this problem numerous times. I've done the 90 degree tilt, and got pretty tired of doing that, so I found a link that someone put on the forum a while back that tells you how to clear out that filter that 157db was talking about:
http://ratstangrestoration.com/05_mustang_tank.htm
Old 06-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Bad news![:@]

They have changed the handles on the pumps (again) at 2 gas stations that I use and both stop letting me get in any gas after I pump in 2-3 gallons.
Turning the handle to 12 o'clock no longer works! I had no problems with that before, as I really didn't want the dealership to remove my stock fuel tank and replace it with another that may not work any better.
To say nothing about the possible damage they could cause. Don't they have to get INSIDE the car to do some of the work? It's like I can see the scratches and stains they'll leave in the leather.
Will look into the other "fixes" or try to find another station with the older style handles. That's going to be difficult as it's hard enough to find a station that's close and has cheaper gasoline.
We're at $4.69 now!
Old 06-18-2008, 01:24 PM
08Eleanor
2nd Gear Member

My car is f'ing ridiculous...Not only do I only get 12 miles to the gallon (and I drive rather conservatively even though my car looks like it does), whenever I fill up, I can only EVER get about 11 gallons in the tank. Then I have to sit there at the pump, twisting it all around, while clicking the gas on and off for about 10 minutes and MAGICALLY it gets to about 15.3 gallons in the tank. I just can't figure it out and I absolutely HATE my local Ford dealer, and I will never go there again. Pain in my ***...

Quick Reply: Gas Tank..doing it again.. Update.