Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long Tube VS. Shorty Headers

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 05:23 PM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

Default Long Tube VS. Shorty Headers

Guys, I’d like to know how much of a difference, performance wise, I’d see with the installation of long tube vs. shorty headers, on our GTs. I currently have 3” cat back to magna packs. With the installation of shortys I’m going to install an off road true X pipe, with the long tubes, I think I’m going with performance cats. There is a big difference in price between the two setups, the long tube install is going to cost $800, the shorty set up is around $450-500, not to mention the hardware price difference. I want to get JBA headers, long or short, and a Magnaflow off road X pipe. What are your thoughts? What do you guys think about performance gains? BTW I’m putting a whipple in come spring time next year. Thanx!
Old 06-16-2008, 05:25 PM
05Saleen#243
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Long Tube VS. Shorty Headers

Hp wise you're not goin to notice much of a difference. When people buy LT's they are usually doing it for the sound.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:26 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

If adding a Whipple, most suggest the shorties.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:46 PM
whtcanbrwnd04u
5th Gear Member

You have to get a jba mid pipe if your getting jba headers. This topic has been discussed alot, try the search button[sm=rolleyes.gif]
Old 06-16-2008, 05:58 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 05Saleen#243

Hp wise you're not goin to notice much of a difference. When people buy LT's they are usually doing it for the sound.
LT's are better

ORIGINAL: owero01

LT's are better
Old 06-16-2008, 06:07 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: whtcanbrwnd04u

You have to get a jba mid pipe if your getting jba headers. This topic has been discussed alot, try the search button[sm=rolleyes.gif]
Unless it was fixed between last night and this afternoon it still doesnt work.

Shorties wont get you much gain at all unless you go FI, LT's will get you 15-20 on an N/A car and more like 25-30 on an FI car. Most LT's need a mid-pipe to go along with it.

Not real sure who would buy LT's specifically for sound but whatever floats your boat I suppose.
Old 06-16-2008, 07:11 PM
JimsGT
3rd Gear Member

Ok, now I'm confused!??! Why shorties w/ a Whipple?

Here's what I understand: Shorties: not really worth it, b/c the stock exh. manifolds flow real well, going to shorties is a lateral move, but its an only option, for some like those in California. Some say they help the sound, some say no.

LT's: Supposed to definitely help the sound, I've heard gains from 10-20+ HP , I don't know. I've also been told if you're not going FI, don't bother as the stock exhaust is pretty damn good. Suffer a little on the low end with torque,, gain some HP in the high rpm's
Also I've heard, go 1 3/4" if going FI, I've also heard don't go 1 3/4" at all when going FI,( reasons unknown to me), and keep it 1 5/8" when N/A at all times.

While I'm at it: X pipe: 5 HP max at peak rpm, adds some higher pitched raspiness to the exhaust note.
H " : Adds (or maintains) low rumble to exhaust note, don't get the 5 horses at peak rpm

Axlebacks: As we all know, just for sound (and looks).

OK, can someone straighten this all out?????!!!!!
Old 06-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: JimsGT

Ok, now I'm confused!??! Why shorties w/ a Whipple?

Here's what I understand: Shorties: not really worth it, b/c the stock exh. manifolds flow real well, going to shorties is a lateral move, but its an only option, for some like those in California. Some say they help the sound, some say no.

LT's: Supposed to definitely help the sound, I've heard gains from 10-20+ HP , I don't know. I've also been told if you're not going FI, don't bother as the stock exhaust is pretty damn good. Suffer a little on the low end with torque,, gain some HP in the high rpm's
Also I've heard, go 1 3/4" if going FI, I've also heard don't go 1 3/4" at all when going FI,( reasons unknown to me), and keep it 1 5/8" when N/A at all times.

While I'm at it: X pipe: 5 HP max at peak rpm, adds some higher pitched raspiness to the exhaust note.
H " : Adds (or maintains) low rumble to exhaust note, don't get the 5 horses at peak rpm

Axlebacks: As we all know, just for sound (and looks).

OK, can someone straighten this all out?????!!!!!
Ive heard you lose too much backpressure when going with 1 3/4" which can cause a loss in power
Old 06-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Redfire007

Interesting article on Headers. July 08 MM&FF

Old 06-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

I have JBA Shorties, FRPP X-Pipe and JBA Axle Backs.....
The Headers Look good, sound good, flow good, wont throw codes, and are 50 state legal (emissions).

Quick Reply: Long Tube VS. Shorty Headers