Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHE Brace/Limiters, Mounts, Shifter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 06:54 AM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Default CHE Brace/Limiters, Mounts, Shifter?

I know this has been covered before but search seems to be whacked at the present time.

Okay having issues with the 1-2 Shift with the 4.10's and ET Streets.
I can hit the shift with the Pirellis but not the ET Streets.

1st pass - Launch at 4500 rpm and miss second at 6500 rpm. Coasted to a 1.841 60' (only under power for 40')
Okay so I wasnt concentrating on my powershift technique.

2nd pass - Launch at 5000 rpm and miss second at 6500 rpm. Coasted to a 1.825 60'.
Really concentrated on my technique.

3rd pass - Launch at 5500 rpm and miss second at 6500 rpm. Coasted to a 1.810 60'.
Lifted Throttle partially and held clutch in for what seemed like an enternity (likely 3/10 of a second or so) waiting for it to fall in.
It was blocked out. Decided to knock it off before I broke something.

My operating theory is that the engine and trans are torqing over farther with the solid hook of the ET Streets.
So I need to change the Shifter, Mounts and/or add a limiter.

CHE Brace + Limiter or Engine and Trans Mounts or MGW Shifter? Leaning toward the CHE Brace and Limiters.

PS Off Topic: Why is the punctation screwed up? (ie 4.10's, 60's etc)
Old 06-17-2008, 07:09 AM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: CHE Brace/Limiters, Mounts, Shifter?

Yes, it sounds like the torque limiters would fix your problem. I would also do the motor mounts so the two mounts for the torque limiters on the tranny aren't taking all the force. The torque limiters cleared up the problem with both of our cars. A shifter is just good for reducing your throw. It won't fix the problem, but it's a great upgrade in any event.
Old 06-17-2008, 09:41 AM
28HopUp
MF Administrator

I installed the CHE k-member brace with torque limiters, and I REALLY like how they improved the shifting of my car, particularly the 2-3 shift (stock shifter too). They are easy to install. When tightening them, the driver's side should pull down, and the passenger side should push up - this preloads them and keeps them from rattling. They are relatively inexpensive, and well worth the money IMO.

I do have a question about your post. I too have 4.10's (granted, I'm a N/A V6), but launch on 28" dia DR's. On video, I make my 1st shift after the 60' marker. I cannot believe that your shorter MT's require you to shift BEFORE the 60' timer. Are you SURE you're banging the 1-2 before you cut your 60' time?

The punctuation thing is a pain, but a by-product of the website issues suffered a few weeks back. It is annoying, but at least the site is up & running...
Old 06-17-2008, 12:27 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

Cant say Im certain. Witnesses reported I was about a car length from the timing line but I will double check when I can get it on video.

Car should be roughly 5/10 quicker than sig numbers now. It was equaling its sig numbers at 3000' higher DA before the gears and tires.

At any rate Ive decided to just throw the kitchen sink at it. Its getting the CHE Brace+Torque Limiter, Prothane Mounts, and the MGW Shifter. Also picked up a set of Roush Rear Springs to take care of the excessive 3.5 degree rear u-joint (not pinion) angle from running a one-piece driveshaft at stock ride height.

Old 06-17-2008, 12:28 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

More horsepower and different transmission gears make it quite likely that he's shifting before the 60' mark. The shorter tires make him have to shift earlier. I'll go back and look at my videos when I get home and see if I can tell where we're shifting our '05 on 28" tires with 4.10s.
Old 06-17-2008, 03:45 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

I'm going to be ordering the CHE K-Member Brace w/ torque limiters myself. My only question is which one to go with, the competition with both spherical ends, or the regular with one spherical and one poly bushing end? Anyone running the competition, if so, how is the vibration? Probably pulling the trigger on one of these tonight.

I was thinking spherical since I drag alot and would give more torque limit, but since these are so easy to install/uninstall I figure changing out the poly bushings wouldn't be such a big deal and would give less vibration. What do you guys think?
Old 06-17-2008, 07:56 PM
DarkFireGT
4th Gear Member

I didn't really notice any more NVH with the torque limiters, but I"m running the ones with poly on one end. It completely fixed the shift problem, so I don't think the spherical on both ends would be necessary.
Old 06-17-2008, 08:08 PM
AmericanSpeed
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: DarkFireGT

I didn't really notice any more NVH with the torque limiters, but I"m running the ones with poly on one end. It completely fixed the shift problem, so I don't think the spherical on both ends would be necessary.
Yeah, I think this is the way I will go. Since it is such an easy install, it won't be a burden to have to change out the bushings if they ever go bad.
Old 06-17-2008, 11:20 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

1+ unless you are running a track car (all the time) get the poly bushings!
ORIGINAL: AmericanSpeed

ORIGINAL: DarkFireGT

Yeah, I think this is the way I will go. Since it is such an easy install, it won't be a burden to have to change out the bushings if they ever go bad.