Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much brake fluid do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2008, 01:00 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

Default How much brake fluid do I need?

....to flush the entire system? I will suck out the reservoir and fill with new fluid and then bleed the lines from there. I am runningdrilled rotors and HPS pads and, after an episode of significantly frightening brake fade today, I would like to change to DOT4. How much do I need, and any particular brand you recommend? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:48 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

Default RE: How much brake fluid do I need?

You should get 2 liters of fluid. It takes ~one and a half. I'm running ATE Super Blue.
Old 06-18-2008, 02:03 PM
sevenleaf
3rd Gear Member

Is this as simple as sucking out the res, then connecting a bleed kit to that plug on the caliper?
Old 06-18-2008, 02:35 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sevenleaf

Is this as simple as sucking out the res, then connecting a bleed kit to that plug on the caliper?
Yes, and i would reccomend the ate fluid as well and i believe it is actually blue in color? So that method should work fairly easily.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:17 PM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I couldn't suck out the fluid in the master cylinder because there is a little baffle in there, didn't try to remove it though. I bought the Earls Speed Bleeders, they really help. You'll need a piece of small, clear rubber tubing to go from the bleeder valve into a coffee can or some other receptical. Start with the right rear, open the bleeder and start pumping the brake. Once the master cylinder gets a good way down top it up with Super Blue (yes it is Blue in color). Keep pumping and filling until the blue is coming out of the bleeder valve. Tighten it down and go to the left rear. Go thru all four corners. At this point you can button it up and drive it a few days. Then bleed it again a few pumps each corner, this is to get any of the old fluid out of the ABS system, or at least as much as possible.
Old 06-18-2008, 10:53 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

Did you by chance get SS brake lines too? that will help pedal feel greatly IMO..... J
ORIGINAL: drbobvs

....to flush the entire system? I will suck out the reservoir and fill with new fluid and then bleed the lines from there. I am runningdrilled rotors and HPS pads and, after an episode of significantly frightening brake fade today, I would like to change to DOT4. How much do I need, and any particular brand you recommend? Thanks.
Old 06-18-2008, 11:46 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

All excellent replies. I just want to add, what rotors are you going with? And do you plan on tracking it?
Old 06-18-2008, 11:50 PM
281GT
3rd Gear Member

I have the SS flex hoses with DOT4. The hoses do give a slightly firmer pedal and the response of the braking system seems better.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:22 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I found russel's speed bleeders at jegs but have been unable to find earl's for our car although I'm guessing russel's would be fine. This thread came at the right time for me as Ive had the car for about a year now so it's time to flush the system anyways. I'll be swapping my lines as well,they have been sitting on my shelf for months[8D]
Old 06-20-2008, 08:32 AM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I wasn't planning on changing the lines as I do not track the car, just need enough to get me down from a few 110mph runs at the 1/4 track or other places(). I will be sticking with the Brakedesigns rotors and HPS pads I have now, but i will say I think the Akebono Ceramic pads i had before, while did not have as much stopping power as the HPS, did not fade like the HPS did the other day.

Am I correct to assume you can't bleed the lines the way they are now? You definitelyneed these special bleeders, or do they just make the process easier? Can you pick up a bleeder kit as Autozone or Pepboys?

Quick Reply: How much brake fluid do I need?