Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Economy Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Default Fuel Economy Tune?

Well, as the title says, I'm looking for something to save some money at the pump. I was wondering if there was such a thing as an economy tune. Bamachips' website doesn't seem to show anything like it, and Brenspeed hasn't replied to my email.

I could have sworn there was such a thing, but I couldn't locate it via the search function. I guess if all else fails, I'll contact Brenspeed and get an 87 tune for my car, instead of a 93 tune. I was also considering getting a 91 torque tune from Bamachips in the hope that it would get my car moving with less gas. Something I learned from my friends BMW e30.

Any thoughts? I'm also looking for a used econobox as well, but I certainly miss my car (I'm a college student who hates college drivers).
Old 06-20-2008, 04:43 PM
RED121572
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Fuel Economy Tune?

Not to worry, your not the only one on here that is concerned about the price of fuel. I am as well.

About two months ago, I switched out Brents 93 tune with his 87 tune. I now get between20-30 more miles per tank now. Thats pretty much what I got when my car was stock.

Do you have 3.55's in the rear? Have 3.31's installed.

I have 3.73's. If it wasnt for the several hundred dollars worth of labor, Id have the 3.31's put back in.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

VMPTuning.com

BTW In my experience the additional timing they can add to a high octane tune basically pays for the higher cost of the fuel.
So a regular gas tune isnt always cheaper to operate.

The primary gains in fuel mileage are the driver. Light Throttle and Shortshift. You want to catch each next gear at roughly 1000-1200 rpm.

I have the JLTII CAI, Bama93 Race Tune, Factory 17's, Spydershaft and 4.10's and on a 4.7 mi city commute from a cold start with4 stop signs and 4traffic lights + stops at the store I canaverage 21 mpg. (Figured by miles/gal not onbord readout).
I start in 2nd and am in 5th by 30 mph. Before the 4.10's I got 30 mpg highway at a steady 70 mph registered (Actual 66.6 mph).
With 4.10's Im down to 27 mpg roughly (I have not ran a long enough highway commute with 4.10's to be absolutley accurate).
Odometer has been checked and reads 0.2 low per 100 mi if you can trust the states mile markers over a 300 mi stretch.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:50 PM
brad281
4th Gear Member

It would be nice to have a back up 87 tune for fuel economy as one of the three tuner/combo pack deals. Is it worth the 50 or 75 to get extra? Not for me. If I had bought the three tune combo new, I would have ordered an 87 for traveling,etc. If your really looking to save $, isn't dougs tunes still 50 for a 87 perf?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:56 PM
mdg
4th Gear Member

Either way it's a V8, it's going to suck gas. Have fun!
Old 06-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

What are the best shift points to save gas then? GeneK says 1200 rpm should be the time you are in the next gear. Is this correct?
Old 06-20-2008, 05:26 PM
Gene K
5th Gear Member

If the car pulls the gear cleanly at light throttle and its about as much fun as watching paint dry you have it correct.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:43 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gene K

If the car pulls the gear cleanly at light throttle and its about as much fun as watching paint dry you have it correct.
I'll keep that in mind.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:59 PM
plutnicki
2nd Gear Member

If I were you, I'd really run the numbers. Miles/year, miles per gallon, $/gallon and figure out
how much you are really saving and what you have to do to get there... A 5mpg difference
really only will save someone $600/year or so for a normal 15kmile year.

I bet there are other things you could do that would be easier than driving your V8 Mustang
like a Grandma to save $600/year...

An an econobox will probably cost you WAY more to own/operate than you'll save in mileage.
But, make sure you run the numbers for your situation... Just my $0.02...

Old 06-20-2008, 06:34 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

The old SCT Strategy Flash devices comes preloaded with a fuel economy setting. It has since been replaced with the SF3 Power Flash.

You select the 87, 91, or 93 octane tune, then you select fuel economy, either "normal" or "economy". The fuel economy setting is independent of the octane setting. I would be the 93 octane economy setting would give you the most benefit.

I've test the "economy" fuel settings and had no problems. However, I only drove the car around the block, so I didn't track any chance in gas mileage.

You should call SCT before purchasing, just to make sure that the SF3 has the same fuel economy selection as the old XCal2. I'm willing to bet it does.

I hope this helps!

EDIT: Seems like you already have a tuner. Contact SCT directly and see if they will e-mail you an economy tune for it.

Quick Reply: Fuel Economy Tune?