Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fuel pump hick ups

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2008, 12:09 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Default RE: fuel pump hick ups

My roomate Mishri, who has an 07, swears it does the same thing to him sometimes. In his case even in town after not being on the highway. Crazy. The TSB applies to 05-06 so yeah I guess it was supposed to have been fixed already... Hmm.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Caution
5th Gear Member

***** ... if you dont want to buy the GT500 pumps (they are expensive I know) ... then go with the VORTECH pump and KB Boost a pump. That combination will cost you less and that setup will run just fine
Old 06-22-2008, 12:44 PM
Nuke
6th Gear Member

I'm an '07 and I've had that happen too. Cruisin' at 60 MPH, drop to third, nail it... and wait. That's happened about 3 times. Then once off the line from a dead stop... tached to about 2500, dumped the clutch and... wait. Weird thing is I never get it to reproduce it when I WANT it to.

Guess I'll have to look into the TSB.
Old 06-22-2008, 12:45 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

I think I'm going to take mine in. It pretty much matches the TSB description exactly. I'm not in a big hurry so I'll probably print it out and have the work done next time I go in for something else.
Old 06-23-2008, 04:14 AM
CrazyHorse0217
2nd Gear Member

What bothers me about this is I don't want someone driving my car for an hour trying to replicate the problem. You have to drive mine at the same speed on the freeway for at least 20 minutes before it does it, and even then not all the time.

Do some dealerships just replace it if you give them a copy of the TSB and explain it?

Thanks.
Old 06-23-2008, 07:29 AM
one eyed willy
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Caution

***** ... if you dont want to buy the GT500 pumps (they are expensive I know) ... then go with the VORTECH pump and KB Boost a pump. That combination will cost you less and that setup will run just fine
thanx,ive been talking to a guy on the turbo forums who works for a shop,says they use (2) 03/04 cobra pumps,he has a set for $150. i might see how that goes.honestly i think i would be fine with the stock pump and the KB BAP if it wernt for the hickups i get.I may take it in and get them to fix it,then see how it goes and get the BAP.

is the vortech pump a in tank pump?
Old 06-23-2008, 08:54 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Yes, the VORTECH is an intake pump. I couldn't run a BAP with the stock pump ... just doesn't push enough fuel... not for my setup anyway.
ORIGINAL: one eyed *****

ORIGINAL: Caution

thanx,ive been talking to a guy on the turbo forums who works for a shop,says they use (2) 03/04 cobra pumps,he has a set for $150. i might see how that goes.honestly i think i would be fine with the stock pump and the KB BAP if it wernt for the hickups i get.I may take it in and get them to fix it,then see how it goes and get the BAP.

is the vortech pump a in tank pump
?
Old 06-23-2008, 09:05 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

So if your fuel pump breaks and you have FI then what happens? Because fuel pumps do break. Seems like you have a ticking time bomb at that point then
We're no experts by any means...but we're very sensitive about fuel supply. Had two separate GT500 pump failures (one of the two pumps failed). They occurred during dynotesting (different sessions)fortunately and problem was identified and rectified immediately. No engine issues but melted a set of expensive plugs.There are likely better ways, but right now we use the GT500 duals piggybacked by two GT40 pumps, and 2 single KB baps. It's insane but like others have posted, under boost very bad things can happen.
Old 06-23-2008, 09:09 AM
Caution
5th Gear Member

Steve ... your stang is insane[8D]
Old 06-23-2008, 09:34 AM
gothamems
3rd Gear Member

https://mustangforums.com/m_5180925/tm.htm

The above link is to a thread I posted last week....Does this sound like what you're experiencing?

Quick Reply: fuel pump hick ups