Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Horn center piece replacement

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 08:41 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

Default Mustang Horn center piece replacement

I thought my horn Pony was just dirty but I looked closer today and it seems somehow moisture has gotten under the plastic and mold is now growing inside it

So does anyone know where I can get a replacement one , not a GT , Cobra or some aftermarket design I just want the original Pony with the flag behind it design and how hard is it to remove/install
Old 06-23-2008, 08:56 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Mustang Horn center piece replacement

Take it back to the dealer and they will replace it. There have been several on here that has had problems with the center emblem. Sad part is, because of the air bag under that emblem, they have to replace that too.

Have you thought about taking the protective side moldings off your door? It would make it look so much better.Most guys on here will tell you to use a heavy gauge fishing line with a saw action to get behind the plastic piece. It may need to be heated up some with a hair dryer. Then clean the sticky residue off with WD-40 or Goo Gone.

The molding makes the car look like a rental plus it takes away from the design lines.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:41 AM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

great free is my favorite word. I haggled 2 free oil changes with my mustang purchase from the ford dealer and I'm due right now so I guess they can do that too as well as this airbag thing I'm hearing about.

But about the side moldings I might consider that . It doesnt affect my windows going up and down right ?
Old 06-24-2008, 01:14 AM
2007CalSpec
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07 Stang

Take it back to the dealer and they will replace it. There have been several on here that has had problems with the center emblem. Sad part is, because of the air bag under that emblem, they have to replace that too.

Have you thought about taking the protective side moldings off your door? It would make it look so much better.Most guys on here will tell you to use a heavy gauge fishing line with a saw action to get behind the plastic piece. It may need to be heated up some with a hair dryer. Then clean the sticky residue off with WD-40 or Goo Gone.

The molding makes the car look like a rental plus it takes away from the design lines.
Why would they need to replace the airbag if it's just an emblem that's need changing?

I was thinking of taking my pony emblem off and replacing it with a custom one. I believe the emblem can be pried off the steering wheel without touching the airbag. Some people have done it.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:01 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

Yes, the emblem can be pried off. And yes it will be changed under warranty... The process will be different at each dealer. But they might change the entire airbag...
Old 06-24-2008, 05:22 AM
my06shaker
2nd Gear Member

Mine did the same thing. The spots you see are not under the emblem or shouldn't be. I used Meguiars PlastX and a soft terry cloth and the spots disappeared. Might not work for you depending on how far along or bad yours has become. Worth a shot before going to the dealer. i think this is probably a production problem peculiar to this piece. Good luck.

[IMG]local://upfiles/86175/5B6D963577EE4EF0A5223119E0CE264C.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-24-2008, 05:30 AM
chain1
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: my06sha

Mine did the same thing. The spots you see are not under the emblem or shouldn't be. I used Meguiars PlastX and a soft terry cloth and the spots disappeared. Might not work for you depending on how far along or bad yours has become. Worth a shot before going to the dealer. i think this is probably a production problem peculiar to this piece. Good luck.

I couldn't really get a good view of your steering wheel emblem from your picture but, just out of curiosity, is there any chrome accent piece for the mustang that you HAVEN'T installed in your interior?
Old 06-24-2008, 05:48 AM
my06shaker
2nd Gear Member

I don't know....... but the judges in a Mustang only show that I entered must have liked it too. First place finish. Must not be too gawdy. Appeals to the Ghetto in me.
Old 06-24-2008, 05:54 AM
EricM
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 2007CalSpec

Why would they need to replace the airbag if it's just an emblem that's need changing?
Ford doesn't sell the emblem separately, there's no part#. Unless the dealer has some used one laying around that came off exploded airbags or something, they'll replace the whole assembly.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: chain1

ORIGINAL: my06sha

I couldn't really get a good view of your steering wheel emblem from your picture but, just out of curiosity, is there any chrome accent piece for the mustang that you HAVEN'T installed in your interior?
He doesn't have the seat adjuster changed!!!

Quick Reply: Mustang Horn center piece replacement