Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Superchargers...worth it??

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Koehn
1st Gear Member

Default Superchargers...worth it??

I'm a little torn right now you guys. I'll be getting a new job soon (hopefully) and along with it will come a decent pay raise and I'll be getting a check from my current employer for my vacation/sick hours I have built up. Once I get a couple of loans paid off with that money, I'll be deciding whether or not to pull the trigger and purchase a Paxton for my 05 vert GT. I don't know if I'll be taking it to the track or not, so I'm not quite sure if I need that extra power for my weekend driver. But a BIG part of me wants to get this so I can dust most everything else in the immediate area and if some punk *** kid pulls up beside me with his ricer...he'll get a lesson on domination. What do you guys think here? Get it or save the money for something else?

Also, from reading another post, I checked out a link posted on it and came across the following: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10261

Would it not be SWEET to put one of these bad boys into an S197??!! Even though you can get almost the same amount of HP for a lot less price. Would it be possible to even put one of these in my car?

Old 06-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Superchargers...worth it??

ORIGINAL: Koehn

I'm a little torn right now you guys. I'll be getting a new job soon (hopefully) and along with it will come a decent pay raise and I'll be getting a check from my current employer for my vacation/sick hours I have built up. Once I get a couple of loans paid off with that money, I'll be deciding whether or not to pull the trigger and purchase a Paxton for my 05 vert GT. I don't know if I'll be taking it to the track or not, so I'm not quite sure if I need that extra power for my weekend driver. But a BIG part of me wants to get this so I can dust most everything else in the immediate area and if some punk *** kid pulls up beside me with his ricer...he'll get a lesson on domination. What do you guys think here? Get it or save the money for something else?

Also, from reading another post, I checked out a link posted on it and came across the following: http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts...KeyField=10261

Would it not be SWEET to put one of these bad boys into an S197??!! Even though you can get almost the same amount of HP for a lot less price. Would it be possible to even put one of these in my car?

What are your thoughts on fuel economy?
Old 06-24-2008, 03:34 PM
Koehn
1st Gear Member

fuel economy doesn't concern me too much (even though it should).IMO you don't buy a Stang for fuel milage . Thant and I liveby the motto "you can't put a price-tag on fun!!".
Old 06-24-2008, 03:38 PM
Pwny
4th Gear Member

fuel economy doesn't concern me too much (even though it should).IMO you don't buy a Stang for fuel milage . Thant and I liveby the motto "you can't put a price-tag on fun!!".
In your case, a supercharger would be worth it.

I am nearly in the same situation as you. I'm about to graduate from engineering school, get an influx of income, etc. However, I will more than likely not F/I my car as I feel that it is more important to save that money for getting my new life started... as well as paying for gas.

Plus, I plan on putting most of my emphasis on handling and suspension mods.

Anyways, I hoped that helped some.
Old 06-24-2008, 03:50 PM
onederful100
6th Gear Member

that GT500engine is way too expensive 18k
i just saw an 05 whippled GT selling for 19K, and 13k miles
is the SC worth it?
stock GT=
SC GT=
again, is it worth it?.......can i get a hell ya!
Old 06-24-2008, 03:52 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

...liveby the motto "you can't put a price-tag on fun!!".
I disagree with that. Right now, fun costs me $4.29/gal. [8D]
Old 06-24-2008, 03:54 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

curious.. why get a paxton?? I think you would way more fun with a whipple or saleen blower than a centri supercharger...... i made that mistake on my 01 and regretted it everytime i drove the car...... yeah it made good power and was fun, but you need to rev the crap out the motor to make any kinda of power... with a TS you can get full boost as soon as you floor it.... up to you but i like the instant power... just my .02
Old 06-24-2008, 03:55 PM
TimeForPain
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: acascianelli

...live by the motto "you can't put a price-tag on fun!!".
I disagree with that. Right now, fun costs me $4.29/gal. [8D]
LOL......... well my funs costing me $4.69 fun fun fun =)
Old 06-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Black Mamba GTT
4th Gear Member

Psshhh my fun cost 4.89/ GAL!!!!! I don't know if a supercharger is worth it. When I had one on my mustang I was always afraid of something going wrong and stuff did go wrong with it. It is kind of a gamble and if you have a warrenty I would wait until that is gone and then do what ever you want with it......I would personally go TURBO!!!!
Old 06-24-2008, 04:08 PM
Z06 Killer
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TimeForPain

curious.. why get a paxton?? I think you would way more fun with a whipple or saleen blower than a centri supercharger...... i made that mistake on my 01 and regretted it everytime i drove the car...... yeah it made good power and was fun, but you need to rev the crap out the motor to make any kinda of power... with a TS you can get full boost as soon as you floor it.... up to you but i like the instant power... just my .02
I myself like centrifigul because it allows the power to come in progresively. Feels more natural. I have had roots and TS blowers before and they were mostly tire friers! They were alot of fun but the power came on fast and seemed to run out of steam just as fast. The centri seems to work the best for my set up at the track.

I also thought about the 5.4 conversion but after considering cost and HP #s I went with a built and stroked stock block as I was able to pull 631HP out of my combo