Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 08:11 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

Default I need some advice

Okay, I know this has been discussed to death, but I have to take my Mustang in to the dealer tomorrow. I took off the CAI and restored the factory tune just to keep from even getting into a discussion with them. But is there anything else I need to do to make sure that they don't even suspect that the car has had a CAI installed on it?

Old 06-27-2008, 08:15 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: I need some advice

i think you've covered all the
bases allready and everything
is going to go fine

Old 06-27-2008, 08:25 PM
justin_burke05
2nd Gear Member

hey so wat is wrong with your car that u have to take it to the dealership anyways?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:48 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Drive it for 50 miles before taking it in to clear the p1000 code (tells them the ECU was recently reset).
Old 06-27-2008, 08:52 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: justin_burke05

hey so wat is wrong with your car that u have to take it to the dealership anyways?
It's idling really rough, and acts like it's missing. I first took it to my regular mechanic because I wanted to avoid the whole warranty question thing, but the programs on his machines only covered through 06 models. They don't need to keep up to the current year because they don't normally get to work on cars until they're out of warranty. I'm still under the 60,000 / 5 year drive train warranty, but I just didn't want to deal with the stealership.

He said he thought it was probably #3 cylinder, and either a bad coil or injector. But since his computers wouldn't let him actually do the tests, he wasn't sure. And since both of those are a little pricey, he didn't want to guess. So he said the best thing I could do was to take it to the dealer.

Actually, before I took it to the mechanic, I cleaned and re-oiled the air filter. That didn't help. Then I had the oil changed. Well, I didn't think that would help, and it really wasn't overdue. I had about 4K miles on that oil. I usually change at 3K, but 4K isn't that bad. And then just make sure, I filled up at a different gas station just in case it was bad gas. I normally use a Valero near my house, but this time I filled up at a Shell.
Old 06-27-2008, 08:55 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: richmod

Drive it for 50 miles before taking it in to clear the p1000 code (tells them the ECU was recently reset).
Well, I don't have time to do that tonight, but if they question me about it, I guess I can say that I disconnected the battery to see if it would reset the computer. Would that work, do you think? Or maybe I could just disconnect the battery for a couple of minutes. Would that make any difference?
Old 06-27-2008, 08:59 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

I'm assuming you tried cleaning the MAF sensor and making sure all of your CAI connections were snug (no unmetered air getting in) as part of your troubleshooting?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:07 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 300GT

I'm assuming you tried cleaning the MAF sensor and making sure all of your CAI connections were snug (no unmetered air getting in) as part of your troubleshooting?
Everything was tight and I don't think any air was getting in. I did notice that a little oil from the filter had gotten on the MAF, so I wiped it off with denatured alcohol. Is there some other way I shoudl try to clean it?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:12 PM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

Everything was tight and I don't think any air was getting in. I did notice that a little oil from the filter had gotten on the MAF, so I wiped it off with denatured alcohol. Is there some other way I shoudl try to clean it?
They make a special MAF cleaning spray, but for all I know the denatured alcohol may work just as well. Only reason I mentioned both of those things is that either one could give you that "my car is missing" feeling. Now that you have the original airbox and tune back on (and assuming your MAF is clean), does it still feel like it's missing? Have you taken it out for a drive since reverting back to stock?
Old 06-27-2008, 09:17 PM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wthalliii

They make a special MAF cleaning spray, but for all I know the denatured alcohol may work just as well. Only reason I mentioned both of those things is that either one could give you that "my car is missing" feeling. Now that you have the original airbox and tune back on (and assuming your MAF is clean), does it still feel like it's missing? Have you taken it out for a drive since reverting back to stock?

Yes, I took it out for a drive, and it's still missing pretty bad. It also has a bad hesitation when I try to get it to go. I'm sure some of that's due to the stock tune. I am accustomed to the Brenspeed 93 tune. But it seems to choke a little when I give it gas. I have an automatic, BTW.

I really just cleaned up the outside of the MAF. Should I try to get some of the stuff down into the opening? I also have some of the filter cleaning spray if that would work. I was afraid to pour anything down into the MAF since I don't know how it works.

BTW, the car hasn't thrown any codes.

Quick Reply: I need some advice