Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negotiating price on a 2008 GT Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 12:06 PM
learjet35

Default Negotiating price on a 2008 GT Deluxe

Hey guys:

Right now I have my local stealer quoting me a $22924 price on an 2008 GT Coupe Deluxe with the IUP and an Auto Tranny. He came down about $1250 from three months ago. My question is, do any of you guys on here think I can get him down closer to $22k. Also, I am planning on paying cash but was told I get another $500 off if I finance throught Ford. My thought on this, and my dealer friends seem to agree, is to take the $500 finance it and then pay it off and it should only end up costing me about $50 in finance charges so it would come out to $450 off the price in the end. Your thoughts....

Thanks.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:16 PM
pat123
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Negotiating price on a 2008 GT Deluxe

It sounds like you are almost there. Tell the salesman what you are willing to pay and if he does not take it then you have to be prepared to walk away or pay the money.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:17 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

hit him with the "no ones buying V8s right now due to gas" that should get you $500 off atleast
Old 06-26-2008, 12:22 PM
Riptide
6th Gear Member

Wow under $23K that's great. Dealers in my area are still asking for over $31K for premiums.

Do you have to pay sales tax?
Old 06-26-2008, 12:26 PM
pnut
2nd Gear Member

Don't finance it if you have cash in hand. The risk, unknown fees, initial interest, early payoff fees, etc arejust too high. Plus, who needs more debt?It's just a hassle and risk if you don't have to. If you do decide to take the financing, MAKE SURE you know the fees including paperwork fees, early payoff, and the interest accrued from when you sign to the week after when you pay off. Don't take the dealers word for it, talk to the dealer finance manager, and call Ford credit yourself to ask.

Go in there, and tell him the truth, be straightforward. Tell him:

"I really want to buy this Mustang, but I feel the price is still to high considering the market for V8's right now, the qty of Mustangs dealers have on their lots, the price of a used Mustang is going lower recently, and the fact that the new 2010 modelis just around the corner. I am willing to offer you xxx right now. I have cash and am ready to make a deal right now. I am not interested in financing. THis is my final offer, please consider it carefully."

Saleman walks away to talk to someone in another room..... comes back with higher counter offer.

"I appreciate the effort, but that's too high. Thanks for your time" Then walk out.

The reality is that there ARE so many out there, that there is little reason to get hung up on one particular one. If you are hung up on it, prepare to pay the extra $500.
Old 06-26-2008, 12:42 PM
2L8IWIN
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: pnut

Don't finance it if you have cash in hand. The risk, unknown fees, initial interest, early payoff fees, etc arejust too high. Plus, who needs more debt?It's just a hassle and risk if you don't have to. If you do decide to take the financing, MAKE SURE you know the fees including paperwork fees, early payoff, and the interest accrued from when you sign to the week after when you pay off. Don't take the dealers word for it, talk to the dealer finance manager, and call Ford credit yourself to ask.

Go in there, and tell him the truth, be straightforward. Tell him:

"I really want to buy this Mustang, but I feel the price is still to high considering the market for V8's right now, the qty of Mustangs dealers have on their lots, the price of a used Mustang is going lower recently, and the fact that the new 2010 modelis just around the corner. I am willing to offer you xxx right now. I have cash and am ready to make a deal right now. I am not interested in financing. THis is my final offer, please consider it carefully."

Saleman walks away to talk to someone in another room..... comes back with higher counter offer.

"I appreciate the effort, but that's too high. Thanks for your time" Then walk out.

The reality is that there ARE so many out there, that there is little reason to get hung up on one particular one. If you are hung up on it, prepare to pay the extra $500.
+1.....this was my plan when I bought mine....just didn't work out that way. i wanted it too bad!
Old 06-26-2008, 12:43 PM
CapitalG
3rd Gear Member

oh wait this is from a dealer. dude you can dick them sideways honestly . I was approved on a 07 grey one within the same company of dealers at a Lincoln Mercury dealer and even still after I told them this at the ford dealer they stilled tryed to B.S me for a hour , basically not trying to get the best interest rate they could from the bank so I went back to school and told them I was going to the other dealership and guess what

they call me back 10 minutes later saying
-they've taken $800 off the car's price
-my payments are $13 lower than the other dealer
-1.8% lower interest rate
-free new tags since mine were expired - they took the price of the car down again to fit this in
-$1500 up on my trade in

even with that I still said "well what about a some free oil changes" , they said ok one, I said nvm I wanted like 3, they said 2 , I said ok.

They also offered me stripes in the beginning of our haggling.

Once you've been approved on the car , you have them at your mercy cause they know they have to work with you to sell the car.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:10 PM
learjet35

Yes, it is coming from a Dealer. If I understand you correctly, you used the financing to your advantage? I got quoted the price on the Mustang I'm looking at from an Internet Sales Mgr at the dealership. I have yet to haggle with him face to face. I've been in touch with him since March inquiring about where their prices were on the model and I'd like to get him down from the $22,924 figure to about $21,200-$21,500, but I'm not sure if they'll go that low. I know, there's only one way to find out.

ORIGINAL: CapitalG

oh wait this is from a dealer. dude you can dick them sideways honestly . I was approved on a 07 grey one within the same company of dealers at a Lincoln Mercury dealer and even still after I told them this at the ford dealer they stilled tryed to B.S me for a hour , basically not trying to get the best interest rate they could from the bank so I went back to school and told them I was going to the other dealership and guess what

they call me back 10 minutes later saying
-they've taken $800 off the car's price
-my payments are $13 lower than the other dealer
-1.8% lower interest rate
-free new tags since mine were expired - they took the price of the car down again to fit this in
-$1500 up on my trade in

even with that I still said "well what about a some free oil changes" , they said ok one, I said nvm I wanted like 3, they said 2 , I said ok.

They also offered me stripes in the beginning of our haggling.

Once you've been approved on the car , you have them at your mercy cause they know they have to work with you to sell the car.
Old 06-26-2008, 01:55 PM
torch red
4th Gear Member

22,924??????? For a 08 GT thats a ridiculous low price...get it in writing..[&:]
Old 06-26-2008, 02:00 PM
fullboogie
2nd Gear Member

On Monday I bought a new '08 Deluxe GT for $22,800, so I think you're about there on price.

Quick Reply: Negotiating price on a 2008 GT Deluxe