Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trying to learn how to do proper launch..help??

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 08:05 PM
apex18
2nd Gear Member

Default Trying to learn how to do proper launch..help??

OK i bought my car5 months ago or so, and this is the first day that i have been practising doing dead stop launches, as i guy wants to line up with me next weekend. This is my first standard, so i spent the first few months just learning how to drive it. So today i did 2 launches, they seemed good but i just thought i would post what i did to see if i did anything wrong. I read guys launching at like 3500, 4000 rpm. To me it would seem i would get alot of wheel spin, and i would think that would be super hard on the drivetrain and clutch?? So today i did a dead stop launch. I sat there, reved it up to 2 grand held it there for a quick second, then slowly let the clutch out just till i felt the car engage, then dropped the clutch out as fast as i could and hammered on the gas. I didn't get to much wheel spin, and i felt like i took off pretty good. So should i be poping the clutch out faster?? Is it hard on the clutchto "ride the clutch" for just that little bit? I reved it up, held the rpm, slowly let it out, and as soon as i felt it engaged i dropped it, at 2,000 RPM.The time i startedto let the cltuch out to when i felt itengaging was about a second.Thanks for any input. Jord

By the way how hard is this on my car? Like i don't want to be putting in a new cltuch next week. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2008, 09:05 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Trying to learn how to do proper launch..help??

Well some like to launch from higher RPMs just for the wheelspin

The 'right' RPM is a bit subjective.. ideally you want to launch at an RPM where you're just getting to the meat of the powerband (In our GTs around 3k), but you don't want excessive wheelspin either. But you've got the basic theory.. also, I'm sure some of the drag racers here can give more specific tips.

Two things to watch out for - slipping the clutch excessively, which can happen when you try for more of a controlled launch rather than just popping the clutch. Slipping it will heat it up more, and after repeatedly doing this in one session you can fry your clutch or warp the flywheel. So just use some common sense.. and as you get used to the car, you'll be able to feel if the clutch is getting too hot and stop yourself before you do damage.

Second, anytime you dump the clutch at high RPM you're introducing a lot of driveline shock - yes it's fun, but it can be hard on any car. Now at close to stock power levels it'll take the abuse fairly well, but a more serious power levels a hard launchcan snap something quick.. It's not unheard of for drag racers pushing serious HP to snap axles, engine mounts, etc.

(Heck - I did so many standing launches in my Rabbit years ago that I broke all the engine mounts all at once! Talk about lowering your center of gravity!)

So just don't go overboard and realize that any hard driving increases your chances for something to break, but don't stress about it too much -
Old 06-26-2008, 10:43 PM
apex18
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for the info A_J....much appreciated ![sm=icon_cheers.gif]
Old 06-27-2008, 07:46 AM
jjgt07
1st Gear Member

hey apex18,how well does your tune been working with that Diablosport 87 octane,how much of a gain are you getting?just wondering thanks
Old 06-27-2008, 03:06 PM
apex18
2nd Gear Member

They claim 10-15 more HP. I notice my car does run a little bit better, and better throttle response. I havent been able to test MPG yet, but they say it will give 1-2MPG better fuel economy. Hope this helps. Jord

And it was very easy to install, took about10 minutes total, and most of that time was waiting for it to upload.