Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tune question compatibility C&L K&N

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 10:29 AM
Chewbackup

Default Tune question compatibility C&L K&N

I have had a K&N cold air kit installed on my 05 GT for about a month now, I have no ther mods except a Hurst shifter. Other than making my car louder and perhaps a little bit of better throttle response, this particular kit hasn't really done much in the way of performance. I knew all this when I bought the kit, but frankly I didn' twant to keep buying crap paper filters, and wanted a KN. SO.....i just got a Diablosport programmer used off ebay, $100 shipped, nice deal if I say so myself! I hooked it up to the PC, and got the latest firmware. It is branded as C&L, which with my understanding, I can still get a custom tune from bamachips and load it onto the unit and theninto my car.

My real question is that just for giggles, I loaded the C&L 93 performance tune into my car, (with a tank of 93 premium gas) and the K&N installed, it is a very noticeable performace gain! Will this cause any damage cause I don't have a C&L intake, it is not giving errors or pinging, or backfiring or anything like that. Furthermore, my intake currently has that vapor element in it, can I take that thing out for increased flow, or will I start getting errors? I am plaining on taking advantage of a bamachips tune with the sale they are running now, but will a 93 performance tune from them, suited for my K&N really be a big difference, over me running the current C&L tune with my K&N setup?

Any thoughts and info is appreciated.
ALSO, I don't want to swith to a C&L intake, because if I have to flash back to stock tune, I don't want to have to take the intake offthat is why I have the K&ncuase it works without a tune!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:33 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Tune question compatibility C&L K&N

yes it can cause problemsbecause the MAF size is not the same.....you are probably running a little lean IMO. I would get a tune specific for the K&N
Old 06-28-2008, 10:36 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

to be safe throw the car on the dyno and have them check for lean conditions at WOT....if ok (which it might be) keep as is and enjoy. If not go the route Matt suggested esp if the MAF is of different size from the C&L and the K&N
Old 06-28-2008, 10:40 AM
Chewbackup

Cool thanks for the quick replies, I am going to get a custom tune anyways - do you know if the C&L tuner will be able to load a custom tune with out any problems? How many tunes can the Diablo hold?
Old 06-28-2008, 10:50 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

yep you can and it will hold at least 3 custom tunes but i am pretty sure more
Old 06-28-2008, 10:53 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

three is the magic number on the SCT not including the factory tune so I am sure that applies to the Diablo....anyone else
Old 06-29-2008, 01:01 AM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

i was thinkin he would run rich if anything.. but either way.. i had a problem with RPM outlets dumbass "package".. C&L and SCT... well it didnt have a tune for it.. so it was pinging at top of gears when running medium to hard on trhottle... other wise.. was not noticable.. but detonation is somethign you deffinately want to get taken care of..

if you had to have it on that tuen then you would be ok for like a few days, no more than 3 IMO.. just dont go hard on it..