Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Confused about CAI and results - help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 06:16 AM
huskydog

Default Confused about CAI and results - help

I have been searching but remain confused, hopefully someone can clear me up. I have an 06 GT and have been thinking of adding a CAI and/or changing exhaust. I want slightly better performance and slightly more exhaust rumble. Just a 50 yeqr old guy looking for a richer sound, andquicker pickup, nothing crazy. Most likely someone else will have to do the work, I can do a few basic maintenance things, but not much more. Anyway here are my questions.

With CAI and factory exhaust, does the sound change?
With CAI do I have to re-tune computer
With CAI do I need to use premium fuel
If CAI installed without exhaust change does it really make a difference
Can I just change exhaust mid way, or do I need to start at headers
Does changing exhaust without CAI have any impact on performance or is it just for sound

Appreciate the help, thanks
Old 06-28-2008, 06:48 AM
plutnicki
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Confused about CAI and results - help

1) You get a little more sound from the engine, a louder roar, but no change of exhaust note that I noticed.
2) Any CAI that's worth something (IMHO) requires a tune to go with it. There are some that don't.
3) The CAI doesn't require premium fuel, it's the tune. Most tuners (Brenspeed for example) will supply
you 3 tunes, an 87, 91 and 93 tune. It's up to you which to use. I started with the 87, I'm now using the 93
and will likely stay with it.
4) A CAI and tune is DEFINITELY worth it without the exhaust. I do plan to do an axle back on mine to
change the sound, but I'm told it makes little difference in power and Brenspeed says it doesn't even need a
new tune.
5) You can do what's called an 'axle back' if you just want sounds. Lots of people do different things, it's up
to you.
6) Not appreciable, so I've read.

Old 06-28-2008, 07:13 AM
Argonaut
4th Gear Member

I agree with Plutnicki's response.

Most of the gain is in the Tune (the software) not the Intake (the hardware). A CAI and good Tune will significantly alter the car's behavior - throttle response is much improved and you'll get ~20 HP increase at the rear wheels. Don't get an off the shelf tune (one that comes from the Tuner company) get a Tune specifically for the engine you have. www.brenspeed.com and bamachips.com are two good places.

Look under the back of your car, at the mufflers. You can replace those (the Axle Backs) and it will really change the exhaust note. There are a bewildering number of options, all of them sounda little different - from mild to obnoxious.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:23 AM
300GT
3rd Gear Member

Swapping out the stock mufflers for a more aggressive axle-back will give you the sound you desire, but performance will remain unchanged. Adding a CAI with tune will give you a much crisper throttle response and as mentioned above, approx 20-25 extra RWHP. Considering the goals you stated in your post, for around $1,000 you can do both intake and exhaust and you'll be a very happy camper.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:17 AM
bodyputtyless
3rd Gear Member

If you go with a CAI you "must" get the tuner. A few CAI makers claim you don't require a tune,however, you will eventually throw a MAF code. So consider the cost of tuner into the grand total. IMO, other then the fact that the CAI makes the engine compartment look nicer, you'd be hard press to notice a performance difference. Like an earlier post stated, after you drop about a grand, you will have a throatier sound and an additional 15 hwp. More if you opt for the higher octane tune download. Don't get me wrong, I too love to modify and tinker with my stock ride. But I have come to realize through experience that alot of these performance claims are hype and nothing more. My returned to stock "as Henry designed it" GT dances around almost every car on the highway. All this and more at 87 octane!
Old 06-28-2008, 09:15 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

I agree with 300GT, this guy, and Argonaut!
ORIGINAL: plutnicki

1) You get a little more sound from the engine, a louder roar, but no change of exhaust note that I noticed.
2) Any CAI that's worth something (IMHO) requires a tune to go with it. There are some that don't.
3) The CAI doesn't require premium fuel, it's the tune. Most tuners (Brenspeed for example) will supply
you 3 tunes, an 87, 91 and 93 tune. It's up to you which to use. I started with the 87, I'm now using the 93
and will likely stay with it.
4) A CAI and tune is DEFINITELY worth it without the exhaust. I do plan to do an axle back on mine to
change the sound, but I'm told it makes little difference in power and Brenspeed says it doesn't even need a
new tune.
5) You can do what's called an 'axle back' if you just want sounds. Lots of people do different things, it's up
to you.
6) Not appreciable, so I've read.

Old 06-28-2008, 11:35 AM
wthalliii
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Argonaut

Look under the back of your car, at the mufflers. You can replace those (the Axle Backs) and it will really change the exhaust note. There are a bewildering number of options, all of them sounda little different - from mild to obnoxious.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]
Old 06-28-2008, 12:17 PM
NaplesFL11GT
3rd Gear Member

Gotta warn you though once you do a CAI/Tune and exhaust, the mod bug is going to bite you!
Old 06-28-2008, 01:00 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Just a friendly warning from another member of the 50+ club.

Once you put you CAI/Tune on.....and see the improvement. Even though this was all you wanted in the first place, the following scenario WILL HAPPEN, well maybe I'll just get the FRPP X-Pipe it will only set me back $125., and maybe that GT500 Spoiler, hey these UD Pulleys sound pretty good, I should get those Sequential Taillights they look cool, Honeycomb Blackout is only $139. I guess that would be OK, this power outlet plug has to go, I really could use some Chrome Rims, I need a differnt sound Axle Back time, this antenna is too big,and so on and so on......until
Old 06-28-2008, 01:10 PM
svastano
4th Gear Member

It is an addiction!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Confused about CAI and results - help