Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I-pod / Zune hook-up thru head unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:09 PM
SlinkyBMX
2nd Gear Member

Default I-pod / Zune hook-up thru head unit

I heard that you can hook up an I-pod directly to your headunit and control the I-pod with the head unit. What do I need to do this. will any I-pod work? Also can you do it with a zune?
Old 06-28-2008, 05:34 PM
ckone0814
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: I-pod / Zune hook-up thru head unit

theres an adapter that plugs into the back of the head unit, runs +$100 and you gotta pull some of the dash apart to do it, I think.

I use a Belkin Auto Kit. It plugs into the bottom port of the iPod and into the power jack in console. then you use a 35mm jumper that plugs into the input jack in the console and the Auto Kit - the whole deal runs about $35 and works and sounds execllent. The Auto Kit also charges/powers the iPod. You can't control the iPod through the head unit but for $35 I deal with it.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:50 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

If you keep the same headunit provided by Ford, then you are referring to the Trip Tunes Advanced accessory. You will also need the wiring harness, both parts will cost around $300 from Ford. at their Ford Acccessories .com website. I'm planning on getting that also cuz I'm sick of controlling my ipod from within the center console. I had a jvc stereo with ipod adapter that I could control through the headunit in my Explorer. It is so much easier doing it that way.

Currently I'm using an adapter that plugs into both the power outlet in the center console and the 3.5mm connection.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:08 PM
jrhykushi
4th Gear Member

murphdog, will the trip tunes accessory work with the iPhone??
Old 06-28-2008, 08:22 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: SlinkyBMX

I heard that you can hook up an I-pod directly to your headunit and control the I-pod with the head unit. What do I need to do this. will any I-pod work? Also can you do it with a zune?
I can hook the IPOD directly into the plug in my center console on my car. I did not know if I can control from there but I can save songs off of there into folders on my head unit. is that not in any shaker 1000 setup? uses2 sidede male phono plugs.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:11 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

I used the iSimple ISFD71 before I got the AVIC-D3.
It is a Peripheral Electronics iPod2car controller under the iSimple name and sold for cheaper, it works well for what it is.
You can control the iPod right from the factory HU and get a single line of text on the display.
The one I have has the firmware 1.2.2 which is supposed to have fixed a bug in the ealier production of the unit.
I have had it in the car for 11 months and no issues.
I bought it from Best Buy for $100 but I will sell to you for $50 shipped.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1153337432303
Let me know if you want it, here is a crappy cell phone pic of it.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:57 PM
Murphdog
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jrhykushi

murphdog, will the trip tunes accessory work with the iPhone??
I'm sure it would, but you may want to double check with Ford.

That iSimple attachment mentioned above may be worth a look. I was unaware you could get text on the factory unit with aftermarket accessories until that was mentioned.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:03 PM
thenatural
2nd Gear Member

The iSimple adapter is BY FAR the best sounding and cheapest to control your Ipod through the head unit. It is excellent! You can also add HD radio or just use the second AUX cable for the Zune. THe Ipod cable allows full control through the stereo or your Ipod and charges it. Works great and it is hardwired. Buy it online or at Best Buy. I recommend it greatly!
Old 06-29-2008, 06:35 PM
SlinkyBMX
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: thenatural

The iSimple adapter is BY FAR the best sounding and cheapest to control your Ipod through the head unit. It is excellent! You can also add HD radio or just use the second AUX cable for the Zune. THe Ipod cable allows full control through the stereo or your Ipod and charges it. Works great and it is hardwired. Buy it online or at Best Buy. I recommend it greatly!
I'm curious how the text show up on the sceen. Is it just like when you have a mp3 cd in there. Can you flip thru folders and playlists. Thanks!
Old 06-29-2008, 07:23 PM
JRT1
4th Gear Member

It allows you to control the iPod from the HU as if you were doing it from the iPod.
It lets you browse by artist, playlist, albums, etc.
The only ketch is there is only one line of text at a time.

Say you browse by artist then you press preset #2 to browse to a category (IE, artist, playlist, album, etc) then choose artist, you then start at the first artist on the iPod listed alphabetically.
You then have to press the right seek button once for each artist to cycle through, you can not hold the button to have it skip through on any of the menus.
Once you have the artist you want you then press the Preset #2 key again and that will move you to browsing of the albums under the selected artist.
It will show you the first album by that artist, same process as above to cycle through the albums and songs.
The unit works fine if you are patient and do not want to plop down dollars for a new HU. I am not patient so I needed something new.
It will also be pretty good if you listen to your music in playists.
The unit will also charge the iPod for you but the screen will always stay active just dimmed

Here are few pics for you.
It looks just about what you see here except theartist, song title, etc. information is on the buttom half of the display.

Quick Reply: I-pod / Zune hook-up thru head unit