Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vibration at 50mph+

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 09:17 AM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: vibration at 50mph+

Here's exactly what I did today. Took my car to the shop on base to work on my car. Took all 4 tires off (I'm running staggered so couldn't rotate from front to back), was about to paint my calipers but they came over and said I would have to take the calipers OFF and paint them in the booth. I didn't want to do that, I just want to leave them on because I'm seriously no mechanical genius, even an amateur (Read: Novice at best). Looked at it the calipers for a second and loosened one bolt on the bolt which leaked a drop so I tightened it back up and left it alone. After that I undid all the exhaust clamps that I didn't have loctite for last weekend and finished that. Then I saw there wasn't any loctite on my DS bolts in the back. Loosened the ones facing the front of the car on the back just enough to put a drop on the bottom threads. Tightened back up. Didn't change DS position or orientation or anything. It's the stock driveshaft. The only thing I'm thinking is that when I put the wheels back on, I switched left and right? It's a very slight vibration and don't even feel it til I get on the freeway.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

I'd try maybe swapping the front tires or having them balanced again. Is it just a wheel shimmy or does the whole car vibrate? if its not the whole car its probably not the DS.
Old 06-29-2008, 10:48 AM
harraid5711
3rd Gear Member

so if my wheels/tires were balanced fine, why would just rotating them make need to be balanced again?? (don't know much about this kind of thing)
Old 06-29-2008, 11:08 AM
schapman
4th Gear Member

1. he could of knocked off a wheel weight. (ive done it!)
2. tires are most likely directional.

ORIGINAL: harraid5711

so if my wheels/tires were balanced fine, why would just rotating them make need to be balanced again?? (don't know much about this kind of thing)
Old 06-29-2008, 11:26 AM
dschmink
3rd Gear Member

yea, its just a wheel shimmy. i'll give that a try next time i can get in the shop. thanks!
Old 06-29-2008, 12:03 PM
alloutt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Stang Skeleton

There are two primary places that the vibration could be coming from. One is you wheels may need to be balanced, but more than likely your DS needs to be rebalanced or your pinion angle is off.

We have noticed vibration from DS being inaccurate up to 1/16 oz. It is necessary for the balancing to be quite accurate. Also, the pinion angle should be exact as well, even 1/2 a degree will result in vibration. The fact that you vibration is at 50+ mph and it was fine before you worked on your car, it is likely your angle that is off. Recheck that, btw what kind of DS is it?

Harraid5711, your issue because of the lower speed vibration and it disappearing at higher speeds sounds like the wheels/tires simply need to be balanced.
how do you set the pinion angle?
Old 06-29-2008, 12:05 PM
mac24
1st Gear Member

Hey i am thinking it has something to do with calipers why would a ds cause steering wheel shimmy,i have the same problem you have.I have 20 inch foose nitrous the reason i say it i think it has something to do with calipers is because sometimes when i hit the brakes around 45mph i feel the same steering wheel shimmy that i feel when i get to 55mph,I just dont have time to figure it out and im not very mechanically inclined either.So if you figure it out please
post so i can fix mine because it isreally getting on my nerves and i appreciate the post.
Old 06-29-2008, 02:03 PM
2L8IWIN
2nd Gear Member

If you get a balance, I highly suggest going the extra mile and find a shop with a Road Force machine and get the Road Force balance.....that's what I dod and got rid of ALL of my vibrations....drove awesome afterwards.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:59 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: harraid5711

In addition to being directional, each balancing weight that is placed on each individual wheel is prone to certain wear pattern. When you take a specific route to work everyday and that route has 70% right turns and only 30% left turns, your wear pattern on the tires and weight transfer is obviously not going to be the same on all four corners. Therefore, though the balancing may have been okay before switching them around simply due to the normal pattern, when changed it may have caused an imbalance in the balance created by your wear. Hope that sort of clears up is simple terms. It is actually more complex than that, but then we get into higher level physics and mathematics .

Also like mentioned here, if the tires are directional, that also matters.

Having them balanced again, should more than likely solve your issue though.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:09 PM
Stang Skeleton
3rd Gear Member

Pinion angle is specific to manufacturer and specific set up but the general principles are the same.

You need to measure the angle connection in the front at the trans flange and match it up to an equal but opposite (+ - ) angle at the rear pinion flange. You can use a tool such as the the Anglemaster II by Dana to measure the angle accurately, just a preference on what angle measurement brand you choose though. You should adjust the angle with the use of adjustable lower LCAs or preferably an Adjustable Upper 3rd Link for optimum adjustment and it should be adjusted to the specs given by the DS manufacturer.

Depending on the shaft, 3" or 4" or Carbon Fiber or stock flange retension or new flange or new yolk etc etc, the manufacturers will suggest the best specs.

ORIGINAL: alloutt

ORIGINAL: Stang Skeleton

There are two primary places that the vibration could be coming from. One is you wheels may need to be balanced, but more than likely your DS needs to be rebalanced or your pinion angle is off.

We have noticed vibration from DS being inaccurate up to 1/16 oz. It is necessary for the balancing to be quite accurate. Also, the pinion angle should be exact as well, even 1/2 a degree will result in vibration. The fact that you vibration is at 50+ mph and it was fine before you worked on your car, it is likely your angle that is off. Recheck that, btw what kind of DS is it?

Harraid5711, your issue because of the lower speed vibration and it disappearing at higher speeds sounds like the wheels/tires simply need to be balanced.
how do you set the pinion angle?

Quick Reply: vibration at 50mph+